Rooms near the paddle wheel - noise? vibrations?

blmjcs

Hello,

I'm thinking about taking a river cruise on the American Queen. I was wondering if any of you had stayed in rooms near the paddle wheel. If so did you notice any noise or vibrations that made it uncomfortable to sleep?

Thanks!

On a recent trip we met some folks who had one of those cabins. They asked to be changed to another due to the noise and did get changed. I would not advise choosing one of those. On that same trip, we had a B cabin right by the Chart Room and asked to be changed (unsuccessfully, I might add) due to people trying to walk into our room thinking it was public space and people sitting right outside our door, blocking the door.

We've taken two cruises on the American Queen and one on the American Empress. On one of the Queen cruises our room was at the stern by the paddlewheel. Big mistake. Noise didn't bother us but deck area outside our room was always wet and slippery. Food and service was great. Felt it was better on the Queen than the Empress.

We thought the food was generally excellent. The service in the dining room was fine by our standards, too. Some folks are more finicky than others! The only area in which we thought service was lacking was room service. We asked to have tea delivered in the morning and the stewardess usually forgot. Gave up asking and I went down to the Front Porch Cafe with our travel mugs and brought it back to the room.