Do you like BLACK Sand Beaches?

OCruisers

Been on several black sand beaches and very striking visually but I usually need water shoes to walk across the hot sand.

Ever play beach color bingo? Blot out a square for each color beach you've walked on - white, yellow, tan, brown, black, pink, and green.

Been on several black sand beaches and very striking visually but I usually need water shoes to walk across the hot sand.

Ever play beach color bingo? Blot out a square for each color beach you've walked on - white, yellow, tan, brown, black, pink, and green.

Never been to a GREEN sand beach ... but know there is one in Hawaii.

Have any of you been to the GREEN Sand beach there?

Too hot, and usually coarse and sharp grains. Dramatic, perhaps, but second rate when it comes to providing what a beach is best for.

My favorite was the red of Baie Rouge in St. Martin - first seen in 1994 when it really was appropriately named. Somehow it has faded over the years: perhaps due to hurricanes, but it no longer has that brilliant color.

They are neat to see.

Not so nice to walk on. They get HOT.

Very much this. But I have to say, when Hubby and I were in Hawaii over the summer that it was definitely an exciting experience. But if you think white sand beaches get hot, you will literally have roasted feet on black sand. There is no walking on the black sand in places without at least flip flops on. I’m from Florida and i thought i knew the challenges of walking on all types of sand ... uh no. Black sand beaches are a category all to themselves. But it is fun to see the fish and sea turtles on such beaches as well.

I have a really fantastic pic that I took of a school of yellow tangs in super clear water right off a black sand beach. Wow.

Green is in the eye of the beholder and how clear the weather is. LOL.

The sand is actually green because of the olivine crystals. At least that is the case in the Hawaiian islands. If a storm kicks up a lot of regular sand onto the beach it is less green. The olivine crystals are heavier than your average grain of sand so they stay as the regular sand gets washed back out to the sea.

The one of the Big island is small and difficult to get to. When we were there there was also a lot of vog from the volcanic activity. It wasn’t as nice as you see in the post cards ... at least in our experience.

Green is in the eye of the beholder and how clear the weather is. LOL.

The sand is actually green because of the olivine crystals. At least that is the case in the Hawaiian islands. If a storm kicks up a lot of regular sand onto the beach it is less green. The olivine crystals are heavier than your average grain of sand so they stay as the regular sand gets washed back out to the sea.

The one of the Big island is small and difficult to get to. When we were there there was also a lot of vog from the volcanic activity. It wasn’t as nice as you see in the post cards ... at least in our experience.

Thanks for your time to post this about Green Sand Beaches. :)

Yes I visited here when I was in Big Island. It is a pale olive green and quite a small little beach in a cove, you have to walk down a cliff to get on it. But the olivine crystals are all along the stretch of coast. There are piles scattered of pure crystals on the seaside rocks as you make your way to the beach and in the sunlight they look very pretty. Somewhere I read there are only three green beaches in the world and remember one is in Norway but completely inaccessible.

When I was in Maui I also visited the red beach. The red is really dirt falling off the cliff into the sea, but next to the blue water it does look amazing.