Tattoos While In Port

new.b.cruiser

Oddly enough we just discovered last week that one of our favourite waitrons had gotten inked while on a long vaycay to Europe - her and her BF got a new tat in every country (6 in all). They planned to do it, researched potential places, all were in large cities with appropriate safety standards, they both already had tats and they were city & countryside touring and not hitting beaches so minimal inconvenience and they knew how to treat their fresh ink. However because they were playing fast & loose with exact dates and routes they could not actually book anywhere except the first and last spots.

So for OP or others considering, depending where you're going and if you put thought and research into it up-front, safety concerns can be minimal (indeed, often standards in the US and Canada lag behind those of the EU for example). But good tattoo artists are booked up weeks or months in advance, so pretty much by definition any shop you can walk into and sit down to be inked in is going to be on the lower end of the local quality scale - small and simple rather than challenging would be the way to go!

Example - our waitron's worked out very well as she went for a single tattoo, a geometric framework of 'honeycomb' shapes with art inside each space to remind her of each place, much like roadsigns in their simplicity and clarity. It actually looks like it was completed as a single piece, since the designs were straightforward - almost a 'charm bracelet' vibe of one overall piece with the added things remaining harmonious, which I thought was both an excellent idea and practical as any competent artist would be able to match the style. Plus, they were all small enough that they would not take much time in the chair. His were the total opposite - all in very different styles, so even though a couple were on the exact same theme they were totally different, larger pieces with lots of detail that meant he had to take at least an entire afternoon or morning out to get most of them done, and even at a glance the quality was variable across the pieces.

The honeycomb concept is great! I have a close pal who travels a lot on his Harley and he is working on a sleeve with all the iconic landmarks of trips he’s been on.

I’ll second the point about how hard it is to get walk-ins for the top artists... I did snag a walk-in at Outer Limits Tattoo in Long Beach (highly recommend them - incredible artists and history at that shop) but my idea for a coverup for a small older tattoo turned into a multiple trip/large upper back piece.

I’d still go to the top place wherever you are, even the 2nd tier talent will likely be good and the shop hygiene standards equal to or better than most places in US. It’s your responsibility to research, research, research.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So, some good and some average advice.

I have a lot of tattoos and would have no issues with getting tattoos in other countries. The US is not the only place with talented artists...look up Xoil if you get the chance...I believe he is out of Paris).

The best tips already mentioned...

- Research a shop in the port so you can know the city/country health issue laws...you want a clean sanitary studio

- I would absolutely try to wait until the end of the trip so it doesn't interfere with other activities. Sun is not a huge issue as they make high SPF specifically for tattoos and it can be covered. Water activity will be off the table for the tattoo healing and the safety of others in the pool.

- You don't have to have flash art, but have an idea that can be drawn up quickly....word/phrase/flag

- If possible email the shop and have an appointment set up - I doubt you are the first to do this so they can probably work this out and tell you the best way to pull it off.

- Understand what the limitations will be ahead of time so you're happy with the end result and can make it back to the boat

- I agree with the suggestion of if this is your first, don't do it on a cruise. Infections can still happen from clean shops.

I have no issues with having memories of travel....I add a flag to my balloon as I visit more countries...

57834c1e1038b26dcdba90dbcf12a4e0.jpg

Edited by txflood33

Keep in mind - a tattoo is basically an open wound that requires deligent after-care to ensure proper healing and prevent infection. There are obviously differing opinions, but having gone through the process, this is not something I'd want to be burdened with while on vacation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

You can/used to be able to get henna tattoos at various ports.

No needles or ink and they last 7-10 days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But even henna tattoos can have dangers. Some are made with paraphenylenediamine (PPD). A dangerous chemical.

IS HENNA SAFE?

It is perfectly safe for the vast majority of the population. However, it is possible that people with certain illnesses may get side-affects from henna. Infants with a G6PD deficiency are most at-risk.

I also recommend that everyone receiving henna should read the henna ingredients, and if ever in doubt, consult your doctor and/or have your first henna tattoo be a mini design. Unfortunately, there are henna artists out there that put chemicals into their paste and give henna a bad rep. These chemicals are dangerous and not a normal ingredient in henna, but some henna artists use them anyway because it yields a darker stain. One of these chemicals is most commonly found in black hair dye, called PPD. PPD can give adverse reactions when applied directly to the skin, including burning and scarring. Never get henna from an untrusted source that does not share a written copy of their ingredients.

Edit: Oh, this is an old and updated thread. Ignore me.

Even if the shop is safe (which is an unknown), you have to keep it covered and (relatively) dry afterwards--in my experience, with what's effectively a bit of garbage bag taped over you. That doesn't sound fun for the rest of the cruise. And if it doesn't heal well, that will also suck...and bringing all that bacitracin along to treat it. People get their hair braided on cruises, but I think a tattoo is a different animal.

I would need longer legs if I would do that :')

hahaha....my next cruise I will drop a rope from the other side of the basket and have it wrap to the other side of my lower leg...I still have everywhere below my knee to add...I get 5 new flags after this next cruise

You realize, of course, that you are including many of the intervening posters in your psychological evaluation; which nowadays is as risky as political discussion.

Each individual has their own experiences, expertise, risk appetite to consider when doing *anything*. I think the original poster had a good question. I’m glad there was a mixture of responses for people who (like me) may stumble across thread in the future.

Getting a mental health diagnosis was just a bonus. [emoji23]

I have a question for anyone who has gotten a tattoo in port. What port and was it done well/ what did you get?

I think this would be fun!

I think it is amazing you are asking this question due to the number of the tats you got already in other ports which is very nice I do think.

I also am impressed with the fact that you can afford to travel given all the tats you have already

It's amazing you can afford a tat given all the countries you have visited.

It's all about priorities. We don't have a fancy car, we don't live in a house and we don't have a lot of regular expenses.

I do have 3 tattos but they are all small and the total cost was less then 250$. I did my first back in 2000, the second one in 2008 and I did my latest this year (the name of my daughter on my arm). Not a cost that have any impact on my travels ;)

Please ... Please ... Please ... Consider before getting a tattoo because it will be on your body for the rest of your life:

Tattoo NOW ... Regret Later :eek:

Forty years ago I used to say a tattoo is a permanent display of temporary insanity - now it's almost mandatory.

No tats or piercings here, and I was a hippie in the 60's.

At least at home you can research sanitation, how long the business has been open, reputation, etc.

In a foreign country, you get off a ship with the idea it might be fun getting a tattoo there. Do you have any idea what could go wrong, how sick you could get, what diseases you may be exposing yourself too?

At least at home you can research sanitation, how long the business has been open, reputation, etc.

In a foreign country, you get off a ship with the idea it might be fun getting a tattoo there. Do you have any idea what could go wrong, how sick you could get, what diseases you may be exposing yourself too?

Literally could say that about a ton of activities in foreign countries that people do while on cruises. [emoji23]

Not every port is a 3rd world cesspool. People get crappy tattoos in Vegas too that get infected.

However...

You can research places online just like you can for domestic shops. If you can’t do the research, if you don’t know what to look for as far as hygienic situation, if you plan on snorkeling entire vacation, if it’s your first tattoo ever... then yeah, don’t get one.

I love tattoos but wouldn't get one while on a cruise simply due to the after care requirements.

No swimming or sunbathing for one. Keeping it clean and covering with cling-film when out. They are also painful first couple of days and then terribly itchy.

Couldn't think of another thing you could do to yourself that would make you feel miserable on your vacation [emoji6]

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

I love tattoos but wouldn't get one while on a cruise simply due to the after care requirements.

No swimming or sunbathing for one. Keeping it clean and covering with cling-film when out. They are also painful first couple of days and then terribly itchy.

Couldn't think of another thing you could do to yourself that would make you feel miserable on your vacation [emoji6]

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

Get married? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]