Puerto Vallarta Port Construction

SadieN

I just walked past the Marina (Porto) this morning and all 3 docks are usable. There is an ongoing modernization project (construction) which I believe will eventually (this is Mexico) result in a new passenger terminal building. But I did not see any construction that would inhibit the use of the piers. The south pier has a large yacht (it belongs to a US Billionaire) docked...and it has been there since at least early January. I assume they would not use that pier unless they needed all 3 piers (this does not happen often). In past years when there was a yacht or other ship (sometimes we have a Coast Guard Cutter here) they would move out those ships...if they needed the pier for a cruise ship.

Since early January we have had a few days with 2 cruise ships and they were using the piers 2 and 3 (the eastern one and northern piers). It would be interesting to know what kind of docking fees is being paid by the yacht....which is large enough to have its own helipad.

Hank

Thanks Hank!

We were disappointed in November that our favorite port pop up bar wasn’t at the North dock. They carried local craft brews.

One thing we have learned from 12 years living in PV...is that nothing lasts forever....or even for a few years :). Places come and go..which is both a negative and also a positive. I am really curious to see what comes out of this "Port Modernization" and how many years it will take to complete. Here in PV some thing do get built in a year...but many other things seem to take a decade to complete. We shall see :).

By the way, the name of the Yacht docked at that south pier is Attessa. It is a "super yacht" that is about 280 feet long and reportorially cost about S250 Million Dollars. It is now owned by a guy from Montana (who can fly to his yacht on his own Boeing 737 plane). The Yacht seems to have room for two helicopters..although this morning I noticed only one chopper on her stern. It must be nice.

Hank

Thanks Hank.

We’ve experienced Mexican construction timelines. The Ensenada Science Museum took over 11 years to rebuild and its Malecon at least two years It’s now very pretty. There’s a Dancing Water fountain under the Big Flag.

Hopefully the PV reconstruction will be somewhere on the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

We were in port mid-February on Carnival Splendor. Carnival usually docks on the south side (currently occupied by the Altessa II) so we were thrown off our regular routine.

For those who find this thread, here is some important information that we wish we would have known (not sure how to bring this more attention to those needing PV info).

• All ships dock at the north port.
  • There is a pop-up market with about 10 stalls and the standard stuff. 30 seconds and you're done.
  • There are 2 pop-up bars, with a total of four barstools. Something about that math doesn't compute. 3000 passengers, 4 barstools.
  • The standard white port-approved taxis and vans are easy to get right outside the ship. We paid $36 to ferry 9 of us to the edge of the Malecon.
  • To get a local taxi, you have to go out to the street. You can try to hail one off the street, but it is really busy and there is no pull-outs. You could try to grab one when they are stopped at the light, but its better to cross the street to the mall where we observed some were waiting.
  • The south side of the port is open, specifically, the mercado and Bucaneros restaurant. I don't know how they are staying open, but if you get a chance, try Bucanero's for your easy, off-the-boat bar. We love that place. Great homemade margaritas. We stake a claim to the outside tables and enjoy the attentive service of Oscar.
  • You can get to the mercado, Bucanero's and the beach just beyond the mercado by walking (~1km) along the port walkway. From the ship, the old south terminal looks completely closed off, but there is a pathway through.
  • There is a also a golf cart service that will ferry folks who need a little extra help over to the south side.

I laughed at the earlier posts about how long the port will be under construction. I can't recall what Oscar said about the main portion of the port (maybe too many cervezas), but I know he said that Bucaneros and the mercado were being torn down in May, but re-opened in...wait for it...November. AND Bucaneros was going on the SECOND FLOOR and there would be an aquarium. I believe he meant a big aquarium, not a fish bowl with a lone goldfish or a koi pond.

Not sure how that will be possible given what we have observed for such projects in that locale, but we will be back next February to find out!

Thought I would post an update (we walk by the port every morning). As we have posted, there are 3 piers at Puerto Vallarta with Pier #1 being the furthest south (closest to town) and arguably the most convenient. Pier #1 has not been used all winter with the large yacht (Altessa) docked there all winter (and never moved). The most commonly used dock is pier 3 which is the furthest North. Pier 2 (which is parallel to the Gallerie Mall and Walmart is also used by some ships (primarily HAL). But today we have two ships in port with the NCL vessel at Pier 3 and the Ruby Princess at Pier 2.

As to the various construction projects at the port,,,,this is Mexico so we suspect that much of the work will still be ongoing when we return to PV next January :).

Somebody posted about having to walk out to the main street (across from Walmart) to get a local taxi and this has always been true. The Port is under Federal control and there is an exclusive agreement with the so-called Federal taxis (we no longer refer to them as White Taxis because quite a few of the local taxis are also white) which have their own price schedule which is substantially more then the local taxis. But the bad news is that more and more folks have been complaining that the local (yellow and some white) taxis are ripping-off many visitors (and even we locals) by charging higher fares then authorized. The solution is to use Uber...which has not made any friends among the local taxi drivers.

And keep in mind that the local buses only cost 7.5 Pesos (a US $1 bill should cover two fares). Any bus with "Centro" displayed on the front windshield will get you into town.

Hank

Thank you HANK for the update, and specifically the info about Taxis and the local bus.

I’m taking my 83 yr Mom on the Splendor this April. I think she would enjoy some time along the Malecon. Where near the ship would we catch the bus to Centro, and what map/site would you suggest I use to find bus stops for the return back to the ship?

Thank you HANK for the update, and specifically the info about Taxis and the local bus.

I’m taking my 83 yr Mom on the Splendor this April. I think she would enjoy some time along the Malecon. Where near the ship would we catch the bus to Centro, and what map/site would you suggest I use to find bus stops for the return back to the ship?

Getting from the ship to the local bus does involve a pretty long walk (depending on docking position it could be about 1/4 of a mile. And our local buses involve a high first step (difficult for anyone with mobility limitations). There are certainly some folks in their 80s (we have many here in PV) who can handle the walk and the bus, but I would feel very uncomfortable recommending the bus for most in their 80s. In your case perhaps it would make the most sense (logistically) to use one of the port taxis...even though they do cost somewhat more money. I am not sure of their current cost, but they used to charge per passenger and it will be less then $10 per person (it used to be about $5). Another advantage is that the taxi can take you to a more convenient drop place then the bus (which would leave you at least 1 block from the Malecon. There are plenty of decent PV maps online (just Google Puerto Vallarta map) and the local Tourist Office will almost certainly meet your ship and be handing out free maps as you leave the vessel.

Where to get off depends on your interest and everyone's walking ability. We normally suggest getting off at the beginning of the Malecon (kind of like our boardwalk) nest to the Rosita Hotel. But starting from that point (and walking the entire Malecon...and browsing around) will involve more than 1 1/2 miles of strolling (plenty of places to rest, get a drink, eat...etc. If you want to reduce that walk....ask the taxi to drop you next to the Cathedral (this is near the middle of the Malecon). From there (after looking inside the beautiful church) you can walk the short distance to the Malecon...and then we would suggest turning left (keeping the sea on your right) and starting your stroll from that location. If you have the energy you can just continue along the Malecon and eventually you would walk over the pedestrian bridge (it spans the little River Cujale) after which you would be in the so-called Romantic Zone (or Old Town) which is also a great place to browse, relax with a drink, eat, etc. To get back to the port you can simply use a local taxi (it will be less expensive then the taxi you took from the port) or even Uber (if you have that app).

Hank

In midFebruary we discovered a taxi stand next to the bus stop in front of Liverpool.

We docked at the North port, Princess docked at the East port.

Yep, that would be the closest real taxi stand to the North pier (#3). But keep in mind that you can also flag down an empty taxi if you happen to see one as you get to the road. But we always caution folks to ask the price before you get in the taxi (i.e. how much to the Hotel Rosita?). If its more then 100 Pesos we would not be happy...but many drivers will ask for 150. Uber pricing would be somewhere between 50 and 70 pesos.

Hank

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
has anyone used golds transportation I have booked a van to take 11 of us to the aqua venture park grandkids want to swim with dolphins

thanks

Please start a new thread for more of a chance of your question being answered.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all CCer’s ...last time we were in PV, (15 yrs ago) the ship pulled up next to the old Playa Del Oro hotel...no busy streets..just walked off....As a teenager the hotel was on the very edge of town and the only nice ohotel in PV.....things sure have changed.

We have always walked to the gas station outside the port where we find taxis.

This would be more convenient than crossing the busy street to be near Walmart to find them. Can we still do this???

Yes, you can still do this. The station is open but don’t know if any taxis are there.

Until the South Pier is finished the closest taxi stand is outside the Liverpool steps. Though you’d have to cross the street. When we’ve crossed the street there has been a crossing guard in the morning.

• 2 months later...

I will try and remember to post an update in a couple of weeks.  On many mornings I walk past the port (as part of my daily walk) and will check it out :).  But keep in mind that even after construction there will be 3 piers at the port...and your port exit will depend on which pier you dock.  Last winter the South Pier (Pier #1) was not used for much of the season.  A large yacht was docked at that pier for most of the winter and was sometimes joined by a visiting Coast Guard Cutter.  All 3 Piers do give folks access to the port taxis (these are specially licensed and charge higher fees) as well as to the area outside the port.  Yes, there are different port exits (depending on docking position) but all have access to the main road (Ave. Francisco Medina Ascensio) where there are a few small bus stops.  Taxis will often stop (if you wave them down) at any place where they can pull off the main road.  Another options if you have a working cell phone, is to simply get Uber (which is cheaper then any of the taxis).

Hank

We were there in December at the north pier --- very nice with an area for vans, cabs, etc. as you exit the ship.  Also, there's a convenient crosswalk with signals & a police-person to cross the BUSY street to Liverpool --- much less stressful & shorter to Walmart, if you're so inclined.  There's a new restaurant/bar to the right of Liverpool - called VIPs -- didn't go in.

3 hours ago, 57redbird said:

We were there in December at the north pier --- very nice with an area for vans, cabs, etc. as you exit the ship.  Also, there's a convenient crosswalk with signals & a police-person to cross the BUSY street to Liverpool --- much less stressful & shorter to Walmart, if you're so inclined.  There's a new restaurant/bar to the right of Liverpool - called VIPs -- didn't go in.

That restaurant is not really new  (its been around for a few years) and nothing great when compared to the many fabulous eating venues we have in and around PV.   Agree that using the cross-walk by the light is wise.  Traffic really flies along that main street and one must be very careful...if crossing over to Liverpool, The Galleria, Walmart or Sam's."   And yes, its tough living in PV with a Costco, 2 Walmart Superstores,  Sams and even a Home Depot.  :).  At times it almost seems like home.

Hank

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

That restaurant is not really new  (its been around for a few years) and nothing great when compared to the many fabulous eating venues we have in and around PV.   Agree that using the cross-walk by the light is wise.  Traffic really flies along that main street and one must be very careful...if crossing over to Liverpool, The Galleria, Walmart or Sam's."   And yes, its tough living in PV with a Costco, 2 Walmart Superstores,  Sams and even a Home Depot.  :).  At times it almost seems like home.

Hank

Hank -- thanks for the input.  We hadn't been to PV on a cruise since 2013...we were there in 2016 (rented a condo) & didn't make it to that part of town.

1 hour ago, 57redbird said:

Hank -- thanks for the input.  We hadn't been to PV on a cruise since 2013...we were there in 2016 (rented a condo) & didn't make it to that part of town.

LOL!  We have lived in PV for 13 winters and try to avoid that part of town.  There are some decent movie theaters (stadium seating) in the  Galerias mall, but we have heard that quite a few of the decent shops have closed.  We suspect that the new La Isla shopping center has put a real crimp into the business at that mall.  Even the Walmart has been badly hurt by the newer (and much nicer) Walmart located not much more then a mile away in Fluvial.  Probably the best customers at the Walmart (across from the port) are cruisers (who cruise to visit Walmart) and crew members.  As to the VIPS restaurant, I walked in there one day around lunch time, looked around and quickly exited.  By the way, I just looked and that "VIPS" restaurant is rated #641 out of #1216 on TripAdvisor.  Somebody mentioned it is a Mexican Chain similar to Denny's..although not sure Denny's would appreciate that comparison.  Puerto Vallarta can hold its own with most similar sized cities in the world when it comes to food venues and VIPS would not be high on too many lists.  My mouth is already watering just thinking about getting back to PV and our favorite restaurants.  We eat out about 65 nights during our winter stay and never run out of places.

Hank

• Like 1