Acapulco - NCL Star

kskelley40

We will be in Acapulco in January as one of our 6 stops. I have tried to find some recent info about this port but there is not a lot of info.

NCL only offers 3 excursions at this time. Hopefully they might add more but who knows.

So, my questions are:

Has anyone been here this year? If so, did you do a ship tour or outside tour?

Was it safe?

Has anyone done the Bay Cruise and Cliff Divers excursion? Any thoughts on it? This is the one ship excursion that I am considering.

Right now, I am leaning towards staying on the ship. We normally just get off the ship and walk around on our own since we have been to most of the Caribbean ports so many times, but this is our first time on this side of Mexico.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Howdy - Big Al Malone (HotDoggerEmeritus), here.

I strongly suggest you contact Sebastián Hernández before you go doing a Google search ''Acapulco for all by Sebastián''

We used Sebastian's Acapulco for All for a Day tour when our NCL ship docked for the day. We had a an outstanding tour. In fact it was I think the best tour of our whole 22 night Panama Cruise trip. Sebastian's partner, Roberto was our tour guide, and he was an outstanding guide. Sebastian, who had an already committed tour he was doing, made sure to meet up with us during the day to see how we all were doing on our tour.

I highly recommend Sebastián Hernández, and his tour company.

We will be in Acapulco in January as one of our 6 stops. I have tried to find some recent info about this port but there is not a lot of info.

NCL only offers 3 excursions at this time. Hopefully they might add more but who knows.

So, my questions are:

Has anyone been here this year? If so, did you do a ship tour or outside tour?

Was it safe?

Has anyone done the Bay Cruise and Cliff Divers excursion? Any thoughts on it? This is the one ship excursion that I am considering.

Right now, I am leaning towards staying on the ship. We normally just get off the ship and walk around on our own since we have been to most of the Caribbean ports so many times, but this is our first time on this side of Mexico.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
They just announced today that the government and army took away the guns from the police in Acapulco because of ties to organized crime. Be careful please

Sent from my SM-G950W using Forums mobile app

Be serious. There has been infiltration from organized crime, but your post says that the entire police department disarmed, which is untrue. Some, but not all. And the police departmetn is being operated by federal and state officials now.

From CNN: "The take over led to the disarmament and detainment of police officers and the confiscation of "weapons, ballistic vests, cartridges and communication radios," Álvarez Heredia said."

Yesterday the Attorney General of Guerrero, along with the armed forces and state police took control of the Acapulco municipal police function (and their sidearms). While the US Department of State declares Acapulco a "Do Not Travel Zone" - Securely Travel offers up this advice: "A review of cruise ship schedules for the 2018-19 winter cruise season indicates that NCL’s Norwegian Star and Hapag Lloyd’s HL Europa are both scheduled to make port of call in Acapulco. If you are booked on one of these cruises, you may wish to keep yourself informed about the situation in Acapulco when planning any shore excursions. The likelihood that an untoward event occurring, is low, but it is not zero, and the state of flux within the law enforcement community in Acapulco may make obtaining police or armed forces assistance problematic should the need exist."

Be serious. There has been infiltration from organized crime, but your post says that the entire police department disarmed, which is untrue. Some, but not all. And the police departmetn is being operated by federal and state officials now.

From CNN: "The take over led to the disarmament and detainment of police officers and the confiscation of "weapons, ballistic vests, cartridges and communication radios," Álvarez Heredia said."

I am being serious !!! CNN is not the only news company to rely on. No I won't use the line that YOUR president uses.

The Associated Press

Published Tuesday, September 25, 2018 9:59PM EDT

MEXICO CITY -- Authorities in southern Mexico disarmed and placed under investigation the entire police force in the once-glittering resort of Acapulco on Tuesday, claiming the local cops were infiltrated by drug gangs.

Unsurprisingly, many of the cops guns are still missing and will likely never be turned in:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-45705017

The whole thing will likely have any lasting impacts and life in Acapulco will continue on as "normal:"

"Municipal police forces are seen as the weakest link in Mexico's security system. Poorly trained and badly paid, they can easily be threatened or cajoled into colluding with local drug gangs.

Federal police and soldiers have taken over policing duties in some crime hotspots before but the move has failed to drive down crime for good."