How much of a tip for Longshoreman?

inspfitz

Here we go again. Nothing. They are union longshoremen who are well paid by the hour. The fact that they work only a few hours per week moving your luggage is their problem, not yours.

It is interesting that we have sailed out of a number of foreign ports and none of the longshoremen there expect a tip.

DON

Here we go again. Nothing. They are union longshoremen who are well paid by the hour. The fact that they work only a few hours per week moving your luggage is their problem, not yours.

It is interesting that we have sailed out of a number of foreign ports and none of the longshoremen there expect a tip.

DON

All they do for us is take our bag and put it on a cart and roll it 50 ft to a larger cart. For this I will give them a buck or two. Lately since many suitcases have been damaged between the longshoreman and our cabin we have been taking our luggage on the ship and direct to our cabin.

They earn a heck of a good salary for a rather little amount of work.

Going on a 12 day cruise out of San Pedro with alot of luggage (thanks to the DW). How much should I tip the guys putting it on the ship?

In FLL we usually have two large heavy suitcases as well as a couple of other carry ons.

They not only schlep all your bags, but they know how to get you thru customs quickly and will go to the parking garage and load the heavy bags into your vehicle for you.

We always tip them $20.00

Well worth it in my opinion and I don't care how much they earn per hour. They are big and strong guys and I had a hernia operation earlier this year and don't wish to incur another one.

Howard

getting on the ship, and getting off the ship, thru customs, and to your car is two totally different things, and deserve two totally different tip amounts...;p

and $ 20 is exactly what we tip if we use the porters getting off the ship...

Arrived at LAX, handed the suitcases to the Princess rep, hopped on the Princess transfer bus. Next time we did see our suitcases was when they were delivered to our room on the ship. There was never a need to hand over money to the longshoremen. Works the same on the return although last time we used a porter to bring our stuff from the luggage hall to the bus (2 suitcases-2 carry on-and some small bags). Figured $ 10.00 was enough.

This time we only travel with 1 small suitcase and the carry-ons so we can handle that, hence $ 0.00 ;).

Theo

So it’s not for good service it’s extortion.
I think extortion is a little over the top, no one is holding a gun to your head. If you treat your waiter/waitress like crap expect to have spit in your food. Same thing here. In the North East tipping is like breathing, you just do it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I think extortion is a little over the top, no one is holding a gun to your head. If you treat your waiter/waitress like crap expect to have spit in your food. Same thing here. In the North East tipping is like breathing, you just do it.

Another good reason to leave the area.

Another good reason to leave the area.
Nope, love it except for the winters. It's just what we do here. Ever watch Goodfellas? We tip everyone and some like me over tip. At a restaurant I tip 20% from the full bill including tax. Some will say you only from the bill itself excluding tax but not me. Waiters and waitresses work hard, they deserve it.