Formal/Elegant dining attire

stauncie

How strictly enforced is the requirement that men wear a jacket to the main dining room on formal/elegant dining nights? Will I feel under dressed if I am only wearing a dress shirt and tie? Thank you in advance for any/all advice and my apologies if this question has all ready been asked and answered. Oh, also I am cruising on Carnival.

You can wear khakis and a polo shirt. You're likely to see someone (or a few) in “nice" jeans. Maybe even shorts. At the end of the day, it comes down to whether or not someone at the entrance decides to enforce anything. With that said, there will be passengers, possibly quite a few, not strictly adhering to the recommended attire. As long as you look "decent", it shouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Some people like to dress up, some don't

Do what you prefer, within reason. :)

I tend to carry a blazer, dress shirt, and tie. My SO likes to dress, so I need to dress a bit also.

I may carry a suit on the next cruise (12 nights).

We cruise on RCI, and I see everything from khakis and polo shirts to tuxes on the men. Casual wear to long gowns on the women.

Oh please, it's Carnival, as long as you're not naked, you'll get seated.

That kinda sums up the attitude of some that I've seen on Carnival :D

Like other posters I've seen Bermuda shorts, baseball caps & such at formal nights.

Ditto RCI.

There are a few who seem to deliberately dress-down with an "I'm on vacation and I'll dress how I like" attitude. Which is a bit of a shame for those who want to be dressy because it screws up the whole idea of a dressy night. They wouldn't get away with it on Cunard or P&O, or even budget line Marella.

And I wonder whether they take the same attitude at weddings & such.:confused:

SRF seems to be as hen-pecked as me ;p

But that's the least we guys should do to keep the ladies happy.

JB :)

On the sailings I've been on most people comply with not wearing items on the prohibited list, although there are exceptions. On our Glory sailing last year I was actually impressed with the number of tuxes that I saw (including the one that I was wearing to celebrate our 25th anniversary).

Pay attention to what is prohibited. Ignore what is recommended or "encouraged." You shouldn't feel under dressed in a shirt and tie on a formal night as many other passengers will be similarly attired. On my recent Alaska cruise on Princess I wore a collared casual shirt (no tie), cargo pants and hiking boots in the MDR and didn't feel under dressed even on formal night.

Formal nights have become an anachronism on most cruise lines. They still maintain the facade to satisfy the shrinking minority who want to play fancy dress up while cruising.

I always dresed fomal o nt hose nights b ut a cocktail drfess is as far as I go now.

The last cruises I had with my late, dh, he had put away his tuxedo and was done with it but he laways wore a tie on 'Gala nights.

Personally, I would go "no tie" when you're not wearing a jacket. None of the mainstream lines REQUIRE formal dress any longer.

For once I agree with CB. As another poster said in another thread a while ago a shirt with no jacket and only a tie makes a grown man look like the ass't manager at K-Mart. The tie/shirt combo would probably be OK for a young boy or early teen. JMO. :)

My DH no longer wears a tie or jacket on Carnival for Elegant nights. Dress pants and a button down shirt are the most dressed up he gets now days.

Sadly, my DH does the same on RCI and Celebrity. He is delighted...I would like to see him a little more dressed up, like maybe sports jacket? :)

How strictly enforced is the requirement that men wear a jacket to the main dining room on formal/elegant dining nights? Will I feel under dressed if I am only wearing a dress shirt and tie? Thank you in advance for any/all advice and my apologies if this question has all ready been asked and answered. Oh, also I am cruising on Carnival.

A jacket is NOT needed.

For elegant nights on Carnival long pants and a shirt with a collar (golf/polo type shirt is fine) is all that is needed to be appropriately dressed.

Enjoy your cruise! :D

For once I agree with CB. As another poster said in another thread a while ago a shirt with no jacket and only a tie makes a grown man look like the ass't manager at K-Mart. The tie/shirt combo would probably be OK for a young boy or early teen. JMO. :)

Seconded! A tie with no jacket is not a great look; while jacket but no tie is increasingly seen at upscale urban restaurants —- and makes sense for me personally as I always wear a blazer traveling - the pockets are great for documents, etc. and you have it if you feel like dressing up a bit as a courtesy to your wife —- without taking luggage space.

Seconded! A tie with no jacket is not a great look; while jacket but no tie is increasingly seen at upscale urban restaurants —- and makes sense for me personally as I always wear a blazer traveling - the pockets are great for documents, etc. and you have it if you feel like dressing up a bit as a courtesy to your wife —- without taking luggage space.

A jacket and tie definitely looks better and bringing a tie isn't that much more to pack. A jacket however is a different matter. On our Alaska cruise I flew carry-on only and wore my Gortex jacket while travelling and the sports coat stayed at home. It wasn't a hard choice to make between being fashionable or staying dry during shore excursions.

I always equate that look with a used car salesman. :D:D:D:D