Haiti & Famouth Jamaica ports of call

In Labadee Haiti you can just stay in the Royal Caribbean private area. There are a lot of beaches with a tram to take you to them. There are kids areas also. There is a zipline but it's pricey, and a "bobsled" type of coaster. There is shopping but I find the shopkeepers too pushy in Haiti. They do serve food right at the beach area, so you can grab what you want and take it back to your seat. It's a pretty nice area. I think the best beach is at the last tram stop. I think it's called either Columbia or Columbus beach.

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed on Columbus Cove for Labadee if you want a beach day. When you get off the ship, take the complimentary water taxi straight there. It is uncrowded, and there is a lunch buffet right there that I should also less crowded than other options. Note--there is no water taxi back to the ship.

• 4 weeks later...

If you aren't into cruise-ship tourism, try this. Hire a driver who appreciates the many fruits and spices that grow beside the roads. From Ocho Rios, take an excursion up into the mountains - it's cool and pleasant and hugely scenic, but the narrow road and careening ore trucks can be intimidating. Fern Gully is pretty, but touristy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have been to Jamaica several times with children and it is definitely a place you want to book an excursion or tour guide, not a wander around kind of place. Dunn’s River falls is awesome. Our favorite trip was when we hired a tour guide to take us around. She picked us up off the cruise ship and took us to Dunn’s river falls, a super cool restaurant, the jungle to meet a really interesting Rasta man who told us all about plants and then shopping. Our daughter was 4 at the time and I think a regular excursion to Dunn’s River Falls would have been to structured and grueling for her at the time. Hiring the guide gave us the flexibility to not be outdoors too long, driving too long, etc. 

There is a tram that runs the length of the cruise ship area if you take the water taxi there you can take the tram back. If you are traveling with someone with limited mobility or who just can't walk long distances if you talk to the crew once you get off the boat they will assist you with smaller golf cart type vehicles. We have used these before when we've traveled with my elderly mother in law.