Should Carnival expand the Spirit class?

tidecat

I'm thinking Carnival should pick up Costa Atlantica and Costa Mediterranea in 2021.

Costa would lose about 171,000 GT between the two ships, but will be taking delivery in 2021 of one ship that will be 183,200 GT by itself that will be a sister to the "XL" class on Carnival.

Carnival could then flush out two members of the Fantasy class - based on drydock schedules, it could very well be the Fascination and Inspiration.

Carnival Corporation would also cut down on competing with itself in China, as Atlantica is currently homeported there, and the company is building ships in a joint venture with the Chinese government.

Sent from my eye phone using Forums FFS

no, everything these days is mega ships that can hold 4,000 passengers. it is more economical for a cruise line to have these kinda of ships instead of the smaller ships that only hold 2,000 passengers

I would like to see it happen, but it is not likely. I doubt Fascination would be one of the first of the Fantasy class to go, because she is one of the three that had the balconies added. I think Carnival will hold onto them as long as possible because there are too many home ports which the larger ships cannot access: Jacksonville, Baltimore, Tampa, Mobile(?). EM

I would like to see it happen, but it is not likely. I doubt Fascination would be one of the first of the Fantasy class to go, because she is one of the three that had the balconies added. I think Carnival will hold onto them as long as possible because there are too many home ports which the larger ships cannot access: Jacksonville, Baltimore, Tampa, Mobile(?). EM

Jax, Baltimore and Tampa all have bridge issues that prevent the larger ships from being able to access. Mobile doesn't have any restrictive issues yet, although a new I-10 bridge is in the works that might become a restriction at some point down the road. Triumph and Conquest have both docked at the terminal in Mobile without issues.

Maybe it will never happen, but I for one would book a Spirit class class ship over the Fantasy class ships if it were offered. I am not a big fan of the mega ships. BIg ships with not much room in the public area's. Spirit class ships are the perfect size for me.

Jax, Baltimore and Tampa all have bridge issues that prevent the larger ships from being able to access. Mobile doesn't have any restrictive issues yet, although a new I-10 bridge is in the works that might become a restriction at some point down the road. Triumph and Conquest have both docked at the terminal in Mobile without issues.

Having grown up in Mobile, I may no longer be on the planet by the time a new I-10 bridge is complete, and I'm in my late 30s. There's been talk about a new bridge for at least 15 years.

Tampa and Baltimore have Spirit class ships now, so that's no issue.

Sent from my eye phone using Forums FFS

The Spirit class of ships is VERY popular with Carnival cruisers. We have only cruised on the Pride, and while we loved the layout of the ship, we HATED the dark, ugly décor on the ship. lol

If they built more Spirit class sized ships, but modernized them (Breeze décor), I think they would be a HUGE hit.

But, as others have mentioned, they seem to be going after the MEGA ships. More cabins, more venues, more pay restaurants, etc = more money for Carnival.

Don't get me wrong, the Dream class is our favorite. Have ZERO desire to cruise on the Vista. Hate the atrium and what they did to the main theater.

Loved the Breeze and now we are going on the Magic in June.:cool:

The question about Carnival building more Spirit class ships...has been asked on John Heald's FB page several times. Each time he answers that only the Vista class size(or bigger) will be built. That's a shame..the Spirit class is my favorite. As Goldilocks would say.....it fits just right!

New, small ships to replace the fantasy class would be a pretty good idea. I would only book fantasy class as a last resort, but I'd have no problem booking spirit class.

While it might be nice, it is not going to happen. Just a fact....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

LOL! When I saw the headline I thought it referred to expanding (i.e. lengthening) the Spirit class ships like RCCL did with Enchantment of the Seas. We're big fans of the Spirit class and it would be awesome if they did expend the class.

The question about Carnival building more Spirit class ships...has been asked on John Heald's FB page several times. Each time he answers that only the Vista class size(or bigger) will be built. That's a shame..the Spirit class is my favorite. As Goldilocks would say.....it fits just right!

Exactly my feeling. We've been on two of four (Legend and Miracle) and like them best of all the Carnival fleet. As others have noted, they will probably never build them that size again due to the economics but I would welcome it.

Exactly my feeling. We've been on two of four (Legend and Miracle) and like them best of all the Carnival fleet. As others have noted, they will probably never build them that size again due to the economics but I would welcome it.

As close as you are going to come is that they are returning to a Finish ship builder.

Sent from my iPhone

Another vote for spirit class ships. I did like the Dream & Breeze, but anything bigger is too big, have no interest in a mega ship. We have sailed a couple of the Conquest class & Splendor- didn't really like the galley being in the middle of deck 3, other than that, they are ok.

We love the Spirit class best and have often wondered if Carnival would add more of their size to the fleet. Not too small, not too large. Very comfortable ships to sail on.

That being said, we love the Fascination and would be heartbroken if they got rid of her.

Why?

Good question. I like the smaller amount of people with more room. No waiting in long lines in hopes of seeing a comedy show. The restaurant in the aft makes navigating around ship easier. I can book a triple length extended balcony at no additional charge over regular extended. And debarking with 2100 people would seem a lot quicker than with 4000.

Good question. I like the smaller amount of people with more room.

Exactly, plus this class has the highest passenger to space ratio of any of the Carnival classes at 41, next is the Sunshine at 38 and then the Conquest class at 37.

I love the Spirit class ships but I doubt any transfer of ships will happen. I know they won't build any more because they just aren't as economical. The more people, the more money they generate.

It would be nice though.

Take care,

Mike

The only thing that will keep the chance for Spirit-sized ships being built in the future are the ports that can't support the larger ships (Baltimore, Tampa, etc.). A business decision to be made. The Spirits can't sail forever, something will eventually have to replace them, or some ports will no longer be served.

The Spirits can't sail forever, something will eventually have to replace them, or some ports will no longer be served.

The Fantasy-class ships will probably be around forever, those fit under all of the bridges.