Why did Zaandam/Amsterdam NOT get Lanai cabins?

AtlantaCruiser72

Why do you assume the Deck 8 suites are noisy? We have been cabins below the Lido deck on numerous occasions and they are not noisy. Occasional late afternoon chair scraping when they clean up the deck but that is about it. There has never been people noise from the Lido. The Lido area is glassed in along the sides for one thing, and HAL passengers are a pretty sedate group poolside.

We have had a lot of noise in our Neptune suite on the Rotterdam; right below the Lido dish washer and pantry. Carts rolling and noise till 2 or 3 AM every night. So bad, that we were assigned a sleeping room for the 53 days of our journey.

We have had a lot of noise in our Neptune suite on the Rotterdam; right below the Lido dish washer and pantry. Carts rolling and noise till 2 or 3 AM every night. So bad, that we were assigned a sleeping room for the 53 days of our journey.

Same here! I was right next door; it was awful. See my comments on the HAL site which cannot be named.

Same here! I was right next door; it was awful. See my comments on the HAL site which cannot be named.

Hi Lonny,

Ah yes, I remember it well!!!!.

Hope I am luckier on this next cruise on the Westerdam. We also booked a Neptune Suite. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Marilyn

Hi Lonny,

Ah yes, I remember it well!!!!.

Hope I am luckier on this next cruise on the Westerdam. We also booked a Neptune Suite. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Marilyn

Since I am in a lowly veranda on the Westerdam, I will come visit you in your suite!

Since I am in a lowly veranda on the Westerdam, I will come visit you in your suite!

Plenty of suites still available, an upgrade is very possible. We may be neighbors again.

Looking forward to seeing you.

Marilyn

• 3 weeks later...
...I am hopeful the Zaandam will get a refresh of her bathrooms in the next dry dock as the originals are looking very tired. I'm also hoping for her to emerge with a cohesive carpet and textile language throughout. The recent refurb of the Westerdam, has me hopeful in this area. As is well known, I have this "thing" about HAL and their crazy, mismatched, hodgepodge carpet situation.

Hi

It’s interesting that you mention the carpets on HAL ships. Iusually travel on long cruises and am pretty familiar with the ships, so thecarpet design means little to me.

But for folks who cruise on only one or two week cruises andnot very often, the carpet design can be helpful. How many times have you seen new cruisers getoff an elevator and be confused as to which side of the ship was port orstarboard? Simply making the carpet designslightly diferent (perhaps contrastingbut complementary) on the passageways on the different sides of the ship, couldbe rather helpful.

I’ve noticed this on Princess ships where a thin outlinecolor stripe is different on the two sides passageways of the ship. Another approach could be to have the carpetdesign indicate the forward direction on the ship. Simple things such as fish swimming in theforward direction or triangles pointing in the forward direction would seem tohelp confused newbies on the ships.

This is not a big thing but I think might help a bit to improve the cruising experience for new cruisers.

Scott & Karen

But for folks who cruise on only one or two week cruises andnot very often, the carpet design can be helpful. How many times have you seen new cruisers getoff an elevator and be confused as to which side of the ship was port orstarboard?

Many people are not aware that the elevator banks that have only one route away are always facing forward as you head out. That should be enough of an orientation if people only knew the cue.

Personally, I am so glad that they stopped the conversions to lanai cabins. Yes, I would love one, ... but too expensive. What I do like is that on both of these ships, the deck chairs on the lower promenade deck are not reserved for the people in the lanai cabins. This means I can sit where the ship's railing is open and I can watch the ocean. I so love doing that, but not sitting way up high... or not sitting in the sun.

So here is my vote to leave the Amsterdam and the Zaandam alone please.

I agree. I have visited friends lanai cabins and they are much smaller than an ocean view on the same deck. Now THAT would be cause for claustrophobia 😎 Also seems the reserved chairs stay vacant most of the time.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

I agree. I have visited friends lanai cabins and they are much smaller than an ocean view on the same deck. Now THAT would be cause for claustrophobia 😎 Also seems the reserved chairs stay vacant most of the time.

We had a lanai cabin in June on Volendam, and, as far as I know, lanais were ocean-view cabins with the outside door added, so there's no size change. Also, they have been rearranged (bed moved to middle of cabin, loveseat and desk moved to by the door), so may seem smaller because of this.

We really enjoyed our deck chairs, and appreciated that our fare included having these reserved for us. It was one of best perks of the cabin. I didn't see too many others in lanais using the chairs, but that may have been because it was an Alaska trip, and others may not have liked the cool weather...but that didn't stop us. I suspect they'll be much more heavily used in warmer climes.

And I thank you for those helpful comments. I changed our cabin because of it and we had no issues. Perfect location and no noise ;). And yes, the pics are on the site that cannot be named ;)

We had a lanai cabin in June on Volendam, and, as far as I know, lanais were ocean-view cabins with the outside door added, so there's no size change.

That is correct. The lanai & outside cabins on Lower Promenade are both smaller than the outside cabins on the lower decks, however.

That is correct. The lanai & outside cabins on Lower Promenade are both smaller than the outside cabins on the lower decks, however.

Good info. The cabin wasn't spacious, but we considered it snug and cozy :)

And perfect for one person without the outrageous single supplement for a Vista!

Quite so: the increase for the lanai over an ocean-view is considerably less than the difference between a lanai and a verandah or other suite. We thought it was a good compromise, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Also, the field of view from a deck chair (or the cabin's glass) is considerably wider than a verandah or other balcony cabin that has privacy walls.

Quite so: the increase for the lanai over an ocean-view is considerably less than the difference between a lanai and a verandah or other suite. We thought it was a good compromise, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Also, the field of view from a deck chair (or the cabin's glass) is considerably wider than a verandah or other balcony cabin that has privacy walls.

Totally agree. Plus, I tend to be a hermit, especially when I have my own balcony, so the social aspect of the Lanai also appeals to me.

Totally agree. Plus, I tend to be a hermit, especially when I have my own balcony, so the social aspect of the Lanai also appeals to me.

I can vouch for the people walking by, although, as I mentioned, we were on an Alaska cruise, so probably had a lot fewer folks on deck because of the temp and breezes: at times, the deck was empty (but great for the vista).

I can vouch for the people walking by, although, as I mentioned, we were on an Alaska cruise, so probably had a lot fewer folks on deck because of the temp and breezes: at times, the deck was empty (but great for the vista).

I find that on longer cruises, the regular walkers become acquainted with those who usually sit out at the same time as they walk and visa versa, exchanging pleasantries and sharing experiences. On my first cruise after the accident, the Lanai residents cheered me on each day as I determinedly struggled around the lower promenade. On the next cruise, the Lanai residents quickly noticed and applauded the first time I managed a lap without my cane!

It may seem like a small thing, but at the time it was immensely uplifting.

• 4 weeks later...
I booked a Lanai on the Amsterdam yesterday, even though they do not yet show as CAs on the booking website. However, if one plugs the cabin number of a future Lanai into the booking, the Lanai price will come up.

I tried this for the Zaandam and it still comes up with the D category price. I called ship services and they said that the Zaandam is scheduled to get lanai rooms during the dry dock but they don't know if they have enough time scheduled to do so. So, at this point it may or may not get them. The answer kinda made me laugh because of how vague it was. I then asked if I booked a room that was showing as being converted to a lanai and I got it for the oceanview price would I then be charged more if the change actually happened. The answer I got was that they weren't sure how that would work.

Many people are not aware that the elevator banks that have only one route away are always facing forward as you head out. That should be enough of an orientation if people only knew the cue.

As long as you don't assume that to be a universal convention. I know of at least in (non-HAL) ship with an elevator lobby from which you exit aft.

As long as you don't assume that to be a universal convention. I know of at least in (non-HAL) ship with an elevator lobby from which you exit aft.

Since this is the HAL board, discussing HAL ships, that is what I was referring to.

However, your point is noted that other cruise lines do things differently.