Zaandam self service laundry

saratoga

I will be taking a longer cruise on the Zaandam in the near future. I've seen some mixed reports whether the self service has been closed as a fire hazard or not. Can somebody who had recently on the Zaandam let me know if the laundry is open or not. It will affect how I pack for my cruise.

Thank you

Tony

Saratoga

Another option is the "all you can stuff in a bag for $20 one time". It sure beats doing laundry while on vacation. You can get a LOT in one of those bags. Surely worth your money and your vacation time!

Sorry, we will take self service over the garment destroying (personal experience) ships industrial laundry services anytime they are available.

Our Zaandam trip, Dec 2016, had fully functioning self service laundries that were not crowded at all.

And we likely spent more than $20. using them.

I will be taking a longer cruise on the Zaandam in the near future. I've seen some mixed reports whether the self service has been closed as a fire hazard or not. Can somebody who had recently on the Zaandam let me know if the laundry is open or not. It will affect how I pack for my cruise.

Zaandam self service laundry was open on our recently completed Alaska cruise' date=' however it was quite busy. Suggest you use late at night or early in the morning when others may be eating or sleeping.[/quote']

I agree with cruisin'teach's post. That's the strategy I use. Also would suggest port days rather than sea days if you can manage the time. You can get rolls of quarters from the Guest Services desk on the prom deck.

Honestly, sending laundry out with a package (either stuff a bag or set amount for the whole cruise) is alot more fun than washing and drying your own in a laundry room. Who wants to spend valuable vacation time sitting in the laundry room? We did this on our first cruise and realized how much of a downer it was; never again lol

• 3 weeks later...

Does the self service laundry on the Zaandam have soap for sale or do you need to bring your own? Do you need to bring quarters/dollars or do you purchase tokens at guest services? Since we will be on her for 23 days, the laundry might come in handy. :D

Does the self service laundry on the Zaandam have soap for sale or do you need to bring your own? Do you need to bring quarters/dollars or do you purchase tokens at guest services? Since we will be on her for 23 days, the laundry might come in handy. :D

Soap is available - no extra charge other than the washer use charge. They want you to use their soap since it is environmentally friendly to the oceans.

Just bring dryer sheets (if you use them).

You don't need to bring quarters - the front desk will exchange for you.

• 7 months later...

I just checked HAL’s website and, under FAQs, I found this statement:

Are Laundry Facilities Available On Board?

For your comfort and convenience we offer full laundry and dry cleaning service on each ship in the Holland America Line fleet. In your stateroom you will find laundry bags and price lists conveniently located in your closet.

Onboard self-service launderettes consisting of washers, dryers, irons and ironing boards are available on the ms Amsterdam, Maasdam, Prinsendam, Veendam, and Zaandam. There is a charge for the use of the self-service launderettes and it is coin operated. Iron and ironing boards are provided at no cost.

Please note: For safety reasons, travel irons, steamers, and electric water heaters/kettles may not be used in your stateroom.

I am booked on the Zaandam for their Great Alaskan Explorer Cruise on June 4, 2018, RT from Seattle, and had been concerned about the abscence of launderettes shown on the deck plans. We shall see, I guess.

~Ron

I just checked HAL’s website and, under FAQs, I found this statement:

Are Laundry Facilities Available On Board?

For your comfort and convenience we offer full laundry and dry cleaning service on each ship in the Holland America Line fleet. In your stateroom you will find laundry bags and price lists conveniently located in your closet.

Onboard self-service launderettes consisting of washers, dryers, irons and ironing boards are available on the ms Amsterdam, Maasdam, Prinsendam, Veendam, and Zaandam. There is a charge for the use of the self-service launderettes and it is coin operated. Iron and ironing boards are provided at no cost.

Please note: For safety reasons, travel irons, steamers, and electric water heaters/kettles may not be used in your stateroom.

I am booked on the Zaandam for their Great Alaskan Explorer Cruise on June 4, 2018, RT from Seattle, and had been concerned about the abscence of launderettes shown on the deck plans. We shall see, I guess.

~Ron

I am on Zaandam - during just completed drydock, laundry facilities were replaced by cabins.

Sorry, we will take self service over the garment destroying (personal experience) ships industrial laundry services anytime they are available.

Our Zaandam trip, Dec 2016, had fully functioning self service laundries that were not crowded at all.

And we likely spent more than $20. using them.

I am sorry you had a bad experience, but HAL laundry service does not earn nor deserve the overly generalized label: garment destroying industrial laundry service. For the record, others have had wonderful experiences with HAL laundry.

In fact I have had items returned to me that they did not want to launder since they had some pin-holes in the tee-shirt knit that I had not noticed myself. Agree, had they gone into an indifferent garment destroying industrial laundry service they would have come out more damaged. But they did not and HAL gets all the credit for sorting these vulnerable garment items out. Perhaps we should thank you for letting them know from your own negative experience, they now need to be on better notice.

• 4 weeks later...

After speaking with my PCC at HAL a few days ago (late May 2018), she confirmed the laundromats were replaced with cabins and you must use the ships service if you need laundry service.

PCC could not verify size of bags or prices and was unsure Zaandam was included in those ships that made the change.

I'll post prices and pics onboard (June 4-18th Great Alaskan Explorer Cruise) unless anyone else can update us with said prices and experience.

Just off zaandam 14 day

Alaska cruise. No more self service laundry. Tried the $20 bag and was pleasantly surprised how much I was able to stuff in. Bag was returned same day with no issues at all. Will use this service again!

I am on Zaandam - during just completed drydock, laundry facilities were replaced by cabins.

Anyone venture a guess that the same will happen to Maasdam during her drydock beginning August 31 this year??

I am sorry you had a bad experience, but HAL laundry service does not earn nor deserve the overly generalized label: garment destroying industrial laundry service. For the record, others have had wonderful experiences with HAL laundry.

In fact I have had items returned to me that they did not want to launder since they had some pin-holes in the tee-shirt knit that I had not noticed myself. Agree, had they gone into an indifferent garment destroying industrial laundry service they would have come out more damaged. But they did not and HAL gets all the credit for sorting these vulnerable garment items out. Perhaps we should thank you for letting them know from your own negative experience, they now need to be on better notice.

Totally agree. On our 2 week Alaska cruise earlier in May we opted for the unlimited laundry. $98 for the 2 weeks. Sent in a bag almost daily. Came back usually the same day. No issues what so ever. Probably one of the best deals on HAL.

Dan