Breakaway - cruising New Year's alone, would you do it?

Monnom

I don’t think NCL does. Not with Freestyle Cruising. Unless she hooks up with other singles and they share a table

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will definitely be eating alone sometimes, and mostly I'm okay with it. It's harder at dinner to eat by oneself, I think. :rolleyes:

I was just on the Sun, did the PC from San Fran, first solo cruise after losing my DH and you certainly can ask to share a table. Every morning, and evening I was offered to share a table, no problem at all to meet others and wonderful to not have to dine alone.

OP, have a wonderful cruise and hopefully you'll feel as I and many others do, that it's really the greatest of experiences.

Enjoy :wine-glass:

Thank you so much for your well wishes. I am hoping that I can come on here after or during and tell everyone who participated in this thread that it was the best vacation I've ever had. :D

Did my first solo in September (Dawn from Boston to Bermuda). I was apprehensive, but now I look back on it as one of the best cruises I've been on. NCL really knows how to take care of their solo passengers. I went to a specialty restaurant 5 nights. Thought it would be awkward, but it was awesome.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I was with a lot of the solos on my last cruise even though I wasn't technically alone, and we had a great time. I'm hoping to meet a lot of wonderful people. ;)

I will definitely be eating alone sometimes, and mostly I'm okay with it. It's harder at dinner to eat by oneself, I think. :rolleyes:

The Solo meetings are every evening. On my Cruise we mostly used it as the general meeting spot to have a pre Dinner Drink and decide where to have dinner and who wants to join.

One more thing: if you like the fruity Cocktails but want to skip the Alkohol, order them without it 😉🍸

The Solo meetings are every evening. On my Cruise we mostly used it as the general meeting spot to have a pre Dinner Drink and decide where to have dinner and who wants to join.

One more thing: if you like the fruity Cocktails but want to skip the Alkohol, order them without it 😉🍸

Do they have a full bar in the solo lounge? I do like fruity cocktails. Most of the time, I'll actually be drinking water. But I think there will be plenty of opportunity for me to indulge in a few cocktails.

Do they have a full bar in the solo lounge? I do like fruity cocktails. Most of the time, I'll actually be drinking water. But I think there will be plenty of opportunity for me to indulge in a few cocktails.

On the Epic there was a small bar in the Solo Lounge... it did not stock everything and was open from 5pm-7pm each day. I'm not sure if they have a bar in the Solo Lounges on other ships though... I'm fairly sure there isn't one on the Escape. There are wine dispensers which are not included in the drinks package so I will be avoiding them lol Hopefully someone who has been on the Breakaway will be able to let you know for sure if there is a bar.

On the Epic there was a small bar in the Solo Lounge... it did not stock everything and was open from 5pm-7pm each day. I'm not sure if they have a bar in the Solo Lounges on other ships though... I'm fairly sure there isn't one on the Escape. There are wine dispensers which are not included in the drinks package so I will be avoiding them lol Hopefully someone who has been on the Breakaway will be able to let you know for sure if there is a bar.

It's not a big concern, I was just wondering. I could probably find pictures of the solo lounge if I actually looked. LOL Thank you for your help :)

It's not a big concern, I was just wondering. I could probably find pictures of the solo lounge if I actually looked. LOL Thank you for your help :)

Breakaway and Getaway have identical studio lounges, and both have a small bar. The bartender is brought in each day for the solo meeting. Escape does not have a bar, although the solo host may have a bar server come in to take orders at the solo meeting.

Breakaway and Getaway have identical studio lounges, and both have a small bar. The bartender is brought in each day for the solo meeting. Escape does not have a bar, although the solo host may have a bar server come in to take orders at the solo meeting.

Thank you for the information. :)

Just found this thread and I am glad I did. I am doing my first solo in April on the new Bliss, sailing from Southampton to NYC. I splurged on a mini-suite spa balcony as we have many sea days and everyone in the Bliss group said the ship is the destination. I was told that even though I won't be in the Studios, I would be welcome to the single meet and greets. After reading this thread makes me even more excited about April. Now you all have me thinking about cruises during the holidays. Have a great cruise Monnom.

• 2 weeks later...
Just found this thread and I am glad I did. I am doing my first solo in April on the new Bliss, sailing from Southampton to NYC. I splurged on a mini-suite spa balcony as we have many sea days and everyone in the Bliss group said the ship is the destination. I was told that even though I won't be in the Studios, I would be welcome to the single meet and greets. After reading this thread makes me even more excited about April. Now you all have me thinking about cruises during the holidays. Have a great cruise Monnom.

I would love to sail Bliss... maybe I'll look at her for next year. You are totally correct, they will definitely let you join in the singles meet and greets. I talked with lots of solos on our last cruise and even the ones staying in inside or balcony cabins joined the solos in the lounge at 6pm every night. I hope you have a fantastic time on Bliss. A friend of mine is cruising her for a Panama Canal cruise in May.

Thanks for the well wishes... I am planning on a lot of fun even if I have to do it by myself. ;)

I would do it in a heart beat. It’s on my bucket list of cruises but I don’t have enough vacation time right now to make it work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, for better or worse, I'll be onboard... thank you for taking the time to respond. Hope you get on her soon. :D

I'll be looking forward to seeing how you get on, I'm thinking I may do a New Years cruise at some stage. My next is February.. the trouble is being based in Ireland I've to try to find flights that will be reasonable prices. I'm thinking about breakaway out of New Orleans when it moves there next winter as a distinct possibility.

I'm so used to travelling solo but only cruised for the first time in May, mostly because the solo prices from most cruise lines are outrageous even when they have solo cabins. NCLs pricing and solo cabin designs convinced me to do finally try it and I loved it so much I booked my next within a week of getting home.

Hi Monnom,

just curiuos: did you find THAT Dress already? 😊

Hiya Lilly... I most certainly did! ;) It's black and silver and sparkly and makes me feel happy. Thanks for asking. I ordered 3 and fell in love with one of them. :hearteyes: One came with half a pocket sewed closed and the guy I talked with on the phone told me that they sometimes do that for shipping for it to lay flat, and that I'm supposed to take the stitching out myself. :o Errrrr, excuse me? I have never seen a pocket half sewn closed on anything and then was expected to fix it myself. The third was just meh, so I returned two and will take the black and silver with me. :D

I'll be looking forward to seeing how you get on, I'm thinking I may do a New Years cruise at some stage. My next is February.. the trouble is being based in Ireland I've to try to find flights that will be reasonable prices. I'm thinking about breakaway out of New Orleans when it moves there next winter as a distinct possibility.

I'm so used to travelling solo but only cruised for the first time in May, mostly because the solo prices from most cruise lines are outrageous even when they have solo cabins. NCLs pricing and solo cabin designs convinced me to do finally try it and I loved it so much I booked my next within a week of getting home.

I'm so excited and nervous all rolled into one! I am wondering how cold it's going to be sailing out of NYC in Winter and wondering what to pack for a cruise that starts and ends in the cold. I've always been hesitant about sailing out of NYC in the colder months, but it is what it is now.

It's good to hear so many people's experience with solo cruising and that they all seem to be quite positive. Where are you going in February?

I will be making a very special wish as we sail away...

Hiya Lilly... I most certainly did! ;) It's black and silver and sparkly and makes me feel happy. Thanks for asking. I ordered 3 and fell in love with one of them. :hearteyes: One came with half a pocket sewed closed and the guy I talked with on the phone told me that they sometimes do that for shipping for it to lay flat, and that I'm supposed to take the stitching out myself. :o Errrrr, excuse me? I have never seen a pocket half sewn closed on anything and then was expected to fix it myself. The third was just meh, so I returned two and will take the black and silver with me. :D

I think sewing pockets shut like that is very common. I’ve had many garments that have been like this. And the stitching is very easy to remove with just a quick snip of the scissors.

I think sewing pockets shut like that is very common. I’ve had many garments that have been like this. And the stitching is very easy to remove with just a quick snip of the scissors.

I have never seen it done once and I've done some serious shopping in my life. And why just one pocket? Regardless, the dress has been returned and doesn't matter. :)

I have never seen it done once and I've done some serious shopping in my life. And why just one pocket? Regardless, the dress has been returned and doesn't matter. :)

It's extremely common in Ireland and elsewhere it's a security thing when they're in stores so people don't leave things in the pockets of garments. As yours was an online order the pocket stitching probably wasn't fully done, or it could have been previously returned.

I took my first solo cruise in October and my biggest concern was eating alone. I figured I would just go with it and enjoy. I ended up never eating dinner alone - always someone in solos group to eat with. I did eat lunch alone a few times but it was by choice. I was also in a studio after always having a balcony and had the thermal suite pass; the cabin was very comfortable and the thermal suite easily made up for not having a balcony. I had a great time and can't wait to cruise solo again. Have a great time!

I didn't know they had sharing tables?

My boyfriend and I love doing sharing tables at dinner, we've met some of the best people ever! However, we've not had any luck on NCL I believe due to they have so many restaurant choices. However, they do have the single meetups. Hopefully, you'll find some others on here to connect with prior to.

It's extremely common in Ireland and elsewhere it's a security thing when they're in stores so people don't leave things in the pockets of garments. As yours was an online order the pocket stitching probably wasn't fully done, or it could have been previously returned.

You learn new things all the time. LOL It didn't look like it was previously returned and why just one pocket?

I took my first solo cruise in October and my biggest concern was eating alone. I figured I would just go with it and enjoy. I ended up never eating dinner alone - always someone in solos group to eat with. I did eat lunch alone a few times but it was by choice. I was also in a studio after always having a balcony and had the thermal suite pass; the cabin was very comfortable and the thermal suite easily made up for not having a balcony. I had a great time and can't wait to cruise solo again. Have a great time!

I splurged on the spa pass too. I figured that it would be a great place to go when it's cold outside and I just like the idea of the quiet space. I am not sure what it will be like not having a balcony or window to look out?

I'm glad to hear you had a great time and that you're doing it again. LOL I thought about that too... there will be others from the solo cabins who will need dinner companions. I'm hoping it a ship full of fun people who want to party and have a good time. :D Thanks for the reply.