Norwegian Gem Caribbean vs Norwegian Breakaway Caribbean

reader135

We are considering a last minute cruise, either the Norwegian Gem Caribbean or the Norwegian Breakaway Caribbean in December. We have never been to the Caribbean but we have cruised before (Alaska & Transatlantic). Any advice on which one to choose? The Gem ports appeal more than the Breakaway ports but since we've never been to the Caribbean it will all be new and interesting to us.

Gem ports:

New York (New York); Fort-de-France(Martinique); Castries (St. Lucia); Basseterre (St. Kitts); St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands); DISEMBARK New York (New York)

Breakaway Ports

New York (New York); Orlando & Beaches (Port Canaveral); Great Stirrup Cay (Bahamas); Nassau (Bahamas); Costa Maya (Mexico); George Town (Grand Cayman); Ocho Rios(Jamaica); DISEMBARK New York (New York)

We are considering a last minute cruise, either the Norwegian Gem Caribbean or the Norwegian Breakaway Caribbean in December. We have never been to the Caribbean but we have cruised before (Alaska & Transatlantic). Any advice on which one to choose? The Gem ports appeal more than the Breakaway ports but since we've never been to the Caribbean it will all be new and interesting to us.

Gem ports:

New York (New York); Fort-de-France(Martinique); Castries (St. Lucia); Basseterre (St. Kitts); St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands); DISEMBARKNew York (New York)

Breakaway Ports

New York (New York); Orlando & Beaches (Port Canaveral); Great Stirrup Cay (Bahamas); Nassau (Bahamas); Costa Maya (Mexico); George Town (Grand Cayman); Ocho Rios(Jamaica); DISEMBARKNew York (New York)

Gem in a heartbeat! PC Blah....GSC OK, Nassau Blah

I would pick the breakaway over the gem but it also depends where you would rather go! I Like the gem for the different shows each night but I like the breakaway for the more quiet adults only area for during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another vote for the Gem. We have done both ships and like the size and layout of the Gem much better. Plus I think the itinerary for your Gem selection is much better than the BA. However, if you are traveling with children, the BA will offer more on board activities than you will find on the Gem.

Gem is a much nicer ship. The Breakaway has a lot more on-board activities & attractions, but also a lot more passengers also vying for those same activities.

However, the Breakaway HAD a better itinerary, with eight ports of call, all in the Eastern Caribbean. That all changed when Hurricane Irma crashed through.