Breakaway heading to New Orleans

TheDougOut

Hm. I'm currently booked on a 10 day Eastern Caribbean out of NY on the Breakaway, leaving 03/06/19. Does this mean I'm now on the Gem? I'm certainly not on the Breakaway, since it's in New Orleans until 04/07/19 now. I'm guessing the two ships are just switching places?

I'm currently on the 10-night Oct 27-Nov 6, 2018 Breakaway sailing. Wondering if our cruise will be turned into a 14-night repositioning cruise or will they do a 5 night from NYC to NO to arrive on Nov 11th. Looks like my cruise has been removed from the website.

NCL has issued the following letter this morning:

Dear Valued Guests & Travel Partners:

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Breakaway's 7-Day Bahamas & Florida sailings from New York of November 17, 24; December 1, 8 and 15, 2018; January 12, 19, 26; February 2, 9, March 16, April 13 and 20, 2019. All guests booked on these sailings need to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.

We are making an update to our 2018/19 deployment, to offer our guests an exciting opportunity to sail from New Orleans to Caribbean destinations on one of the line's newest and largest ships. Norwegian Breakaway will reposition from New York to New Orleans for her winter 2018/19 season and offer 7, 10 and 11-day cruises to the Caribbean. We are also repositioning Norwegian Escape for her summer 2018 through spring 2019 seasons to sail from New York where she will be sharing the Manhattan homeport with the recently refurbished Norwegian Gem. As a result of these realignments, Norwegian Breakaway sailings of November 17; 24; December 1; 8 and 15, 2018; January 12, 19, 26, February 2, 9, March 16, April 13 and 20, 2019 have been cancelled.

We would like to assist you in selecting another available sailing for your guest from the following options:

+ Option 1: Move your reservation to Norwegian Escape on one of the following dates: October 14, 2018, October 21, 2018, October 28, 2018, November 4, 2018, November 11, 2018, November 18, 2018, February 24, 2019, March 3, 2019, March 10, 2019, March 17, 2019, March 24, 2019, March 31, 2019 or April 7, 2019 and the cruise fare and promotions will be protected.

+ Option 2: Move your reservation to any available sailing in our fleet at the current published fare and your deposit will be moved to that sailing.

Norwegian will also cover up to $200 maximum per person air change fees. Please contact us by October 17, 2017 so that we can modify your guest's reservation. If we do not hear from you by October 17, 2017 reservations will be automatically cancelled and deposits will be refunded. We are standing by to assist you on our dedicated support line at (877) 461-1160 from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm ET Monday through Friday.

We thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line and we look forward to welcoming your guests aboard the beautiful Norwegian Breakaway.

Sincerely,

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

i think its great that NOLA will get a new ship. NYC will be getting the Escape, but i wish a different small ship would replace Gem. she's been in NYC for awhile now. For those that prefer the smaller ships, there's no new ship coming.

NCL has issued the following letter this morning:

Dear Valued Guests & Travel Partners:

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Breakaway's 7-Day Bahamas & Florida sailings from New York of November 17, 24; December 1, 8 and 15, 2018; January 12, 19, 26; February 2, 9, March 16, April 13 and 20, 2019. All guests booked on these sailings need to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.

I got that letter and was confused. I had already seen the news about Breakaway moving to New Orleans (ecstatic to hear), but I'm booked for December 15, 2017 and at first thought my cruise was canceled. Not sure why they sent this to everybody, but apparently if you are booked on Breakaway at any time in the future you will receive this letter.

I'm counting the days to my December cruise this year, and will book one for New Orleans departure as soon as it is available to book.

Odd that they didn't take the Escape to NOLA since the Breakaway has the NYC themeing so prominently on board.

Either way, I like the bigger ships and I see this trip in my future.

Odd that they didn't take the Escape to NOLA since the Breakaway has the NYC themeing so prominently on board.

BA is heading into dry dock before it starts up the Baltic run next summer. I'd be surprised if the existing hull art isn't replaced / updated.

I posted on this topic last month based on some conversations I had with people on the Breakaway. Looks like it's actually going into effect a few months earlier than they excepted!

The change is the result of the domino effect of the Bliss homeporting in Miami in the winter months. Will be interesting to see what happens summer 2019 when Bliss heads back to Alaska. Does the Breakaway return to NY? Some other larger ship? I asked my contacts onboard the question and they said the question has been raised internally but that no decision has been made. They did say that the rumor is that the Breakaway will return and do a seasonal NY schedule much like the Dawn does now between Boston and NO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are scheduled on the Gem NYC to NOLA 10/28 to 11/11/18, but we have not received any notification about changes or cancelations. I would hope we would get first shot at the replacement repositioning cruise, probably at a higher price.

The change is the result of the domino effect of the Bliss homeporting in Miami in the winter months. Will be interesting to see what happens summer 2019 when Bliss heads back to Alaska.

The "musical chairs" with the ships can be seen as both a good thing and a bad thing. I have no desire to do a Bliss-Alaska cruise but Bliss-Caribbean from Miami works for me (waiting to get future dates is frustrating).

Escape's Miami/NY life needs to coordinate with Bliss' Miami life. One of those 2 ships needs to be in Miami throughout the year. BA and Escape can do the same in NY. GA is a nice ship but it can't be the only NCL big ship sailing from Miami (summer 2018) for long periods of time. MSC Seaside (renovated terminal), RCCL Symphony OTS (new terminal), and even Carnival Vista will all be in Miami vs. Getaway.

NO is on our cruise bucket list. Best to visit without kids I assume?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took our (then) 12 year old on a cruise from New Orleans. While I wouldn't have him out on Bourbon Street too late, we had a great time. We rode one of the trolleys and walked around quite a bit. I've also gone there with just adults. I had a lot of fun both trips.