Vista or Harmony of the Seas

Trying to decide between Vista and Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas. Price is the same for balcony room. We’ve only sailed Carnival and Norwegian. Kids didn’t like kids club on Norwegian Escape.

Pros and Cons of each?

Things that matter to us:

- cleanliness

- good kids program with flexible hours of operation during the day

- food

- amount of things that are free/included

- layout of ship is easy to learn

- clean food areas

- fun things for parents (game shows, newlywed games, etc...)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Been on both. Harmony hands down!! Vista's interior public space is very poorly designed with the Havana area as the exception. Royal is much better with moving people around and getting on/off the ship. More choices of food venues. Buffet area is much better designed for getting to food and better food overall. Much better shows. More to do. The ship is the destination with Harmony. Usually only three ports on a Oasis class and some are not that great. But ship to ship Harmony blows Vista out of the water! You can't go wrong with Harmony. Vista has such mixed reviews and many complaints.

Done the Vista twice and Harmony sister ship Oasis. Based upon your questions, I would make the following comments. I don't think there is any difference in the cleanliness area. I would say the same about the kids programs, but you did not mention the ages of your kids. The area that I believe the Vista beats the Harmony is in things that are included/free. Our Oasis cruise, I felt we were nickel and dined throughout the cruise. From Orange juice in the morning, to paying for Johnny Rockets, to having to pay for popcorn. Drink prices were higher on Royal as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Done the Vista twice and Harmony sister ship Oasis. Based upon your questions, I would make the following comments. I don't think there is any difference in the cleanliness area. I would say the same about the kids programs, but you did not mention the ages of your kids. The area that I believe the Vista beats the Harmony is in things that are included/free. Our Oasis cruise, I felt we were nickel and dined throughout the cruise. From Orange juice in the morning, to paying for Johnny Rockets, to having to pay for popcorn. Drink prices were higher on Royal as well.

While this is all true.... OP keep in mind that the OJ is only a charge if you choose the fresh squeezed, unless you have a drink package (either one) which can be cheaper than CCL's drink package, and you have the option of a non alcoholic one if you do not drink much alcohol. There is alway a sale on the packages, and right now the non alcoholic one is $18 a day, and the full alcohol package is $44 a day. While Johnny Rockets is a charge, as well as other specialty restaurants there are several that are not... like the Boardwalk Dog House (Hot dogs, sausages, bratwurst) The Park Cafe (Salad, sandwiches, chips, desserts) the Solarium Bistro for Breakfast and lunch... (much better than Windjammer buffet)

While this is all true.... OP keep in mind that the OJ is only a charge if you choose the fresh squeezed, unless you have a drink package (either one) which can be cheaper than CCL's drink package, and you have the option of a non alcoholic one if you do not drink much alcohol. There is alway a sale on the packages, and right now the non alcoholic one is $18 a day, and the full alcohol package is $44 a day. While Johnny Rockets is a charge, as well as other specialty restaurants there are several that are not... like the Boardwalk Dog House (Hot dogs, sausages, bratwurst) The Park Cafe (Salad, sandwiches, chips, desserts) the Solarium Bistro for Breakfast and lunch... (much better than Windjammer buffet)

Your math in drink prices eludes me. If I buy say a pina colada on Vista and harmony which is more?

I couldn’t even imagine comparing these two ships...to me it’s like comparing a Fiji Apple to a Pink Lady Apple. I love them both. They both are sweet and good for me and i am never unhappy with either. I cruise carnival because I like the age range of the people, I like not having to make reservations for any shows so I am free to do as I please and I really like the food. I’m not a foodie though and a deli sandwich and salad bar for lunch everyday is perfect for me. Drink prices are cheaper on Carnival ships but we buy the cheers program so we don’t buy one at a time. Royal just went to requiring both people to purchase the drink package to mirror carnivals cheers package. I say you can’t go wrong and both ships will be amazing for you and your kids!!! Do one this year and try the other next year:)

I am sorry it "eludes" you... I clearly stated packages.

I won't continue beyond this post on this vein beyond this post, but let us recap, the OP asked about comments on free vs fee. You brought drink packages (a for fee item...it cost more etc etc). I think against my comment on Royal costing more in many areas, drink prices amount them which is totally true... drinks by themselves cost more on royal ships...by a far margin. Period no debate. In regards to packages, another poster said it better, see post 10. I could debate you drink packages make up for that claim, but we can move on.

OP, Carnival from the cost perspective between the two ships and the nickel and diming that Royal does comments I made earlier stand. You make your own choice and enjoy your cruise.

Lots of Harmony votes on a Carnival board, Harmony is wining by a mile, WOW. The so called "nickle and diming" must work. Carnival is moving in that direction Taste Bar change, Seafood Shack, P&A, and so on... They're even going to build MEGA ships. Just think if an Oasis class had a funnel how many Carnival cheerleaders would have a different opinion.

I haven't tried any of RC's ships, but if the price were the same I would choose Harmony. Every time I price compare those two boats with like cabins, there is anywhere from a $800-$1500 price difference. Of course I can only go during school breaks so that might be my problem.

If both ships are the same price for the Ocean View Balcony I would pick Harmony in a heart beat. I have been on Harmony twice and Allure 3 times. My kids have always had a great time at the Teen Club. The entertainment is top notch on Harmony and there is so much to do for the whole family. That being said, we are going on Vista in March because those ships do not sail to the Southern Caribbean, also because of the 8 day itinerary. Which ever you choose I'm sure you will have a great time. :)

I've been on an Oasis class ship and on Vista. While I was a huge advocate for Royal (I've been on 6 cruises with them). I recently tried Vista in February 2017 and it was the best cruise I've taken yet. The food on Carnival is hands down better than Royal, however Royal has better entertainment (broadway style shows). Kids entertainment is about the same on both. Each ship is excellent in both areas, including kids club. Royal has a better adult area with the Solarium however, but all in all I had to make a similar choice for NYE sailing and between Magic and Oasis, I chose Carnival Magic.

Lots of Harmony votes on a Carnival board, Harmony is wining by a mile, WOW. The so called "nickle and diming" must work. Carnival is moving in that direction Taste Bar change, Seafood Shack, P&A, and so on... They're even going to build MEGA ships. Just think if an Oasis class had a funnel how many Carnival cheerleaders would have a different opinion.

Start a thread on the subject and we can debate it. Is the opposite of a carnival cheerleader a loyal royal? You remember when the cruise line actually gave royal cruisers perks to come over here and bash Carnival ships?

Edited by jimbo5544

I won't continue beyond this post on this vein beyond this post, but let us recap, the OP asked about comments on free vs fee. You brought drink packages (a for fee item...it cost more etc etc). I think against my comment on Royal costing more in many areas, drink prices amount them which is totally true... drinks by themselves cost more on royal ships...by a far margin. Period no debate. In regards to packages, another poster said it better, see post 10. I could debate you drink packages make up for that claim, but we can move on.

OP, Carnival from the cost perspective between the two ships and the nickel and diming that Royal does comments I made earlier stand. You make your own choice and enjoy your cruise.

Umm Jimbo is it? Are your panties in a knot, or do you just not like other people giving options that you didn't give? The first five words in my reply post said "While all this is true" which was referring to your post, and then gave options to the OP about what's available.. and then I mentioned the fact that those options... the drink packages, are actually cheaper as I described.

So as far as your "Period no debate." Not sure if you know what an actual debate is.. but there was none here. Again.. you stated "against my comment of Royal costing more." Seriously... First five words.

Umm Jimbo is it? Are your panties in a knot, or do you just not like other people giving options that you didn't give? The first five words in my reply post said "While all this is true" which was referring to your post, and then gave options to the OP about what's available.. and then I mentioned the fact that those options... the drink packages, are actually cheaper as I described.

So as far as your "Period no debate." Not sure if you know what an actual debate is.. but there was none here. Again.. you stated "against my comment of Royal costing more." Seriously... First five words.

As I said we can move on, it is mike right?

OP, Harmony hands down. There is NO comparison between CCL Vista and the Oasis class of ships on RCI. As to cost.....if you can snag a balcony for the same cost...go for it fast on Harmony. As to the 'extra fee' stuff.....on RCI more 'stuff' is offered, just plain and simple, some of it costing an 'extra fee' (like Johnny Rockets for lunch/dinner) and many more different kinds of restaurants - like Izumi (Teppan cooking Japanese) etc....but you DON'T have to go there at all...it is just an OPTION. There are FREE main dining rooms on both ships. It is just an offered option, and there are many more on RCI. To us, the Vista was a cheapened ship in décor, closed in to cram in more cabins, theatre was a disaster w/tons of obstructions and moveable seat (a multi purpose room because they took out so many venues to cram in more cabins). Out of all my cruises on CCL, the Vista rates at the bottom and was a complete disappointment to us!!

Go Harmony for sure (and I am not a cheerleader for ANY cruise lines)!!

Start a thread on the subject and we can debate it. Is the opposite of a carnival cheerleader a loyal royal? You remember when the cruise line actually gave royal cruisers perks to come over here and bash Carnival ships?

Never heard such a thing. I'm only loyal to my wallet and the experience. I have six times as many Carnival experiences than Royal. Like many I found the Vista dull, crammed, poorly designed and the Carnival cutbacks degraded the experience.

I've tried Royal and found the Oasis experience amazing. I will be happy to board the Glory in 80 days for another great cruise.

Not sure why you get your nickers in a twist over a Royal opinion. How many ships on a stick do you have…

Carnival has done me well, first cruise we had dinner with the Captain and a private tour of the bridge...but no one buys my opinion.