NCL Gem 2017-11-11 Cancelled

bronzey214

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Gem's 10-Day sailing from New York City on November 11, 2017. All guests booked on this sailing need to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.

Due to a technical malfunction with the ship's Azipod propulsion system, Norwegian Gem's speed is restricted from full capacity. In order to ensure the azipod's technical issue is resolved, we will be cancelling Norwegian Gem's cruise scheduled to depart from New York on November 11, 2017. Norwegian Cruise Line sincerely appreciates your understanding of this unexpected situation and apologizes for any inconvenience or disappointment this may cause.

All guests booked on this sailing will receive a full refund, plus a 50% future cruise credit of their cruise fare paid. Norwegian will also cover any airfare change fees of up to $300 per person for those guests who purchased air independently.

We understand that your vacation has been planned for some time and our reservations team and travel partners are standing by to assist you with rebooking your upcoming vacation, either over the same dates or as soon as possible. Norwegian is currently offering several limited time promotions that offer guests four free onboard amenities in the popular Free At Sea promotion including free unlimited open bar, a free specialty dining package, $50 towards shore excursions in each port per stateroom, and 250 minutes of free WiFi. On select sailings, Norwegian's Friends & Family Sail Free offer also allows the third and fourth guests to sail for free on many 2017 and 2018 sail dates. We hope you will be able to take advantage of these promotions as you book your new reservation with us or your travel professional.

For any guests booked outside of the US/Canada, please visit www.ncl.com for our local contact information in handling your reservation. We thank you for understanding and for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line. If you have questions, please contact us at 800-327-7030 (Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to midnight EST and Saturday and Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. EST.

Gem is in Barbados now.

thats why the the 11/11 cruise is canceled because of the extra time needed to come home from the last port of the 10/31 outing?

or are they canceling the rest of the ports from that cruise, and limping home now?

and spending the 11/11 cruise time to fix the azipod issues?

I was on a CAS "comp'd" cruise - I don't even know how that works.

yeah.. is the 50% future cruise credit just off the non-NCF portion of the cruise?

ie: cruise costs $600 + $200 taxes.

but $250 of that $600 is NCF/Admin fees.

600-250 = $350.

is it 50% off $800 (whole fare), or $600 (fare minus the taxes) or $350 (fare minus taxes and the $250 Admin fees)?

if 50% off $350, then you only save $175 off that $800 fare :(

Oh ... no, will probably hear from someone cruising live on the Gem soon, with update on its current status. This is going to result in upset passengers booked on 11/11 sailing but it's not something anyone wished for the Azipods to fail again. We almost booked this week's sailing ...

via Nexus 5X Oreo 8.0 w Tapatalk, VPN secured.

Just got a cancellation notice for the Gem for the cruise leaving on Saturday.

Azipod issues. I'm in shock.

Wow I am so sorry! You must be so disappointed! I wonder how long it takes to repair this kind of problem...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Onboard the Gem now after a gorgeous day in Barbados! Heading towards our next

Port of call which is Martinique. We have an extended day tomorrow and hope to enjoy every moment of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are they changing the schedule? When do they estimate you will be back in NYC?

Does anyone else feel like a full refund, 50% off a future cruise (base fare only and not including any admin fees etc. , I'm sure) and a $300.00 airline credit p/p (if you booked airfare) simply isn't enough? My wife and I get one vacation per year where we can go at the same time and booked this 11-day timeshare presentation with food, taking 7 days off of work in the process each. I've staffed, delegated and prepared all of my employees for all contingencies/issues and my wife has done the same. The only options now after they told us 5 days before the cruise is one 9 day leaving out of New Orleans which has flights totaling around $2,500+ total and we'd still have to do hotels and connections in order to make it work (there's a Hawaii one but I don't even want to think about the costs for that one). It just seems to me like they should offer more like additional airline credit so we can take another vacation to make up for the one we planned many months ago. That pathetic sales presentation in the end of the "sorry, not sorry" note really pissed me off, too. They should just be giving the "free at sea" over this. I also noticed they sent the notice out at 5PM right when Guest Services (the people who issue the 50% off) closes and don't think that was by accident at all.

RE: Is this enough compensation?

More than enough in my book. If you still want to take a vacation, stay in NY for a week. Or go somewhere else.

Sorry... but all your issues are minimal compared to the MILLIONS NCL will be spending over this deal.

Deal with it. Make the best of it - not the worse!

< snip >Does anyone else feel like a full refund, 50% off a future cruise (base fare only and not including any admin fees etc. , I'm sure) and a $300.00 airline credit p/p (if you booked airfare) simply isn't enough?

I understand your frustration but I do think it's fair compensation. Between that and travel insurance everything should work out okay. Definitely stinks to have this happen but on a ship that is on the go every single day of the year it's inevitable that ship is going to happen.

Does anyone else feel like a full refund, 50% off a future cruise (base fare only and not including any admin fees etc. , I'm sure) and a $300.00 airline credit p/p (if you booked airfare) simply isn't enough? My wife and I get one vacation per year where we can go at the same time taking 7 days off of work in the process each.

We received basically the same compensation when the Star lost both azipods and we were adrift at sea in Australia. I'm sure NCL learned from that experience that it is best to fix the azipods right away vs. tool around at reduced speeds. Have you looked at the Breakaway cruise that leaves from NYC on Sunday? True, the ports are not comparable but it should be warm and it is only 7 days which means only 5 days off work.

We received basically the same compensation when the Star lost both azipods and we were adrift at sea in Australia. I'm sure NCL learned from that experience that it is best to fix the azipods right away vs. tool around at reduced speeds. Have you looked at the Breakaway cruise that leaves from NYC on Sunday? True, the ports are not comparable but it should be warm and it is only 7 days which means only 5 days off work.

I'm on the BA this Sunday. This morning there were lots of cabins available; I just checked and it seems to be completely sold out.

Hey there. I was looking at that one. It's on the breakaway which is a nice upgrade ship-wise but the ports are just ugh (Orlando/Nassau :eek:) though I'm sure Stirrup Cay is nice. I was just really excited for the real ports we were going to see and had fun things planned for them which, I guess, is what makes it all the more disappointing.

Does anyone else feel like a full refund, 50% off a future cruise (base fare only and not including any admin fees etc. , I'm sure) and a $300.00 airline credit p/p (if you booked airfare) simply isn't enough? My wife and I get one vacation per year where we can go at the same time and booked this 11-day timeshare presentation with food, taking 7 days off of work in the process each. I've staffed, delegated and prepared all of my employees for all contingencies/issues and my wife has done the same. The only options now after they told us 5 days before the cruise is one 9 day leaving out of New Orleans which has flights totaling around $2,500+ total and we'd still have to do hotels and connections in order to make it work (there's a Hawaii one but I don't even want to think about the costs for that one). It just seems to me like they should offer more like additional airline credit so we can take another vacation to make up for the one we planned many months ago. That pathetic sales presentation in the end of the "sorry, not sorry" note really pissed me off, too. They should just be giving the "free at sea" over this. I also noticed they sent the notice out at 5PM right when Guest Services (the people who issue the 50% off) closes and don't think that was by accident at all.
I agree with you. Not enough time to book a comparable vacation on such short notice and not be in the hole for more $.

Best of luck

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Hey there. I was looking at that one. It's on the breakaway which is a nice upgrade ship-wise but the ports are just ugh (Orlando/Nassau :eek:) though I'm sure Stirrup Cay is nice. I was just really excited for the real ports we were going to see and had fun things planned for them which, I guess, is what makes it all the more disappointing.

Oh, I understand completely. Looks like the Breakaway sailing is showing as sold out now. I wonder if they are holding available cabins for those on the Gem. Calling your TA or NCL is the only way to find out.

Can you get to Miami at a reasonable air fare price? The Getaway has a 7 day western Caribbean leaving on Sunday with cabins available in many categories - even the Haven. Escape also has a 7 day out of Miami on Saturday. Hope you find something that will work.