Age and solo crusing

travelchick989

This is awesome and I am even more excited now for my 1st solo cruise over Labor Day week this year. I find it amazing that your DH urges you to do this and that shows how much he loves and appreciates you. Happy Soloing!

Hi all! I'm a female, 53, and I LOVE cruising/traveling solo! Let me give you some background:

I'm married (16 yrs) to a man I love dearly; however, not only does he not like cruising, he also has MS and is now in a wheelchair fulltime. While he's pretty self sufficient, if anyone is familiar with MS, you'll know that it changes like a feather on the wind and, in fact, he spent the vast majority of 2016 in the hospital. Anyway, being his only caretaker, when he's doing good, he presses me to either take a cruise or visit an all-inclusive resort somewhere tropical. I took my first solo trip in 2012, to which I was scared silly! I found myself saying, "What if such-and-such happens?" over and over again. But I went anyway and found that I handled everything just fine and was actually able to relax and enjoy myself at times. Since then I've cruised several times and visited two resorts, all solo.

There are a couple of things to keep in mind...the first is that DH and I keep our finances separate, so if I want to go on a vacation, I've taken it upon myself to foot the bill on my own; not only does this keep me cognizant and responsible for my spending, but it also alleviates any guilt that might pop up about spending so much money for just me and not for us jointly. Secondly, not only am I pretty shy at first, I am also an introvert.

Nevertheless, I get out there and last year on my Carnival cruise, I actually joined a Michael Jackson Zombie dance class...I kid you not! Nope, I knew no one else there, and while I was nervous of dancing silly like that in front of others, especially at my age, all-in-all, I had a fun time, laughing with the rest of the dancers and just being silly. I do notice that the older I'm getting and the more I'm traveling solo, I am finding it a little easier to get myself out there to, well, if not exactly "socialize," (I still am an introvert, and prolly will always be, especially at this late date), I'm more willing to get involved in social activities. BUT, the awesome thing about traveling alone is that it's MY choice where/when I want to participate, and I don't have "well-meaning" family or friends trying to push me into something I really don't want to do.

To ME, traveling solo means:

• Embracing my independence, especially as a woman, and acknowledging that it's okay to ask for help if or when I need it.
  • Doing what I want to do, without having to check with someone else first.
  • Staying up as late, or going to bed as early as I want.
  • Sleeping in as late or getting up as early as I want.
  • Going on any excursions I want (or not!), again, without having to check with someone else first.
  • Eating what, when, or where I want to eat.
  • Attending any event I want, or not.
  • Purchasing what I want, when or if I want (see above paragraph about finances).
  • Taking care of just myself and not needing to be a "caretaker" or "wife" or " fill in whatever applies to you ."
  • And I could go on and on...

You'll probably notice that I bolded the word "I" above, but it's because I think it's important to stress how wonderful that really is! Too many times in our lives we focus on taking care of others instead of ourselves, be it being a spouse/partner, mother/father, daughter/son, or the breadwinner(s) of the family. We neglect ourselves and traveling solo is the PERFECT time to just...BE. Just be YOU. Just take care of YOU. Just love YOU. And who doesn't need this?

Sure, there are times that have been (and will probably continue to be) somewhat uncomfortable for me; keeping in mind my shyness and being introverted. I almost always eat in the ship's dining room, instead of the buffet. I enjoy being waited on, as well as the special dishes we can get. The tables I've been assigned to have usually contained other solos, or perhaps two girlfriends traveling together, which usually allows for easy-flowing conversations. However, on my first solo cruise, and even now if eating in the dining room in the mornings where everyone is seated together, with no assigned tables, the questions can sometimes become slightly intrusive to me. Also, I have noticed that traveling solo on various excursions people do notice me being by myself; it's easy to see the questioning looks. Sometimes that bothers me, other times I just ignore them and focus my attention on where I am or what I'm doing.

So, this is my take on traveling by myself. Hope you enjoyed! Now get out there and just GO!

Maggie

You sound just like me! I'm 62, and took my first solo cruise last November - a TA from Barcelona. It was therapeutic and I loved every minute of it (once my bags showed up!) . I've taken 3 so far this year, going on the Snowbird Migration in October, and have 7 lined up for next year.

Life is short and you can't take it with you!

Nancy

Wow, 7 cruises for next year ... I hope you thoroughly enjoy them. I'm looking at 2 cruises ... Panama Canal half or full transit and Northern Europe including St Petersburg. Both still in the early planning stages...:)

Hey everyone,

I just got back from a great cruise and perhaps Im already having withdrawal lol but I would love to book another. I'm 27 years old (yet I look maybe 18-22) and I just dont have a lot of people who would be down for cruising with me. I feel like if I was older I would look older for one, and have more confidence. I'm just curious what is the age range of those of you that travel solo? And if you traveled solo do you feel awkwardly alone? I like to have fun and its always nice when you have a good circle of people that you know. I've never done a solo cruise before but I've been pondering about it! Maybe for my 30th I will have more courage! ;p

I am 61 and frequently cruise solo and i never feel awkward truly except when walking in a port to go to a beach like Nassau in which case i try to walk close behind or just in front of another group so i don't stick out like a sore thumb thus making myself a target.

Wow, 7 cruises for next year ... I hope you thoroughly enjoy them. I'm looking at 2 cruises ... Panama Canal half or full transit and Northern Europe including St Petersburg. Both still in the early planning stages...:)

That's amazing! Panama is on my list, hopefully 2020, I'll be in St. Petersburg the end of July next year.

I'm in my mid 30s. I did my first solo cruise for my birthday in my late 20s and it was great. I love traveling solo - I can do what I want, when I want and how I want. It always gives me a chance to reconnect with myself. My next solo trip is my first TA in November - 12 days in a balcony cabin? I absolutely cannot wait!!

I'm in my mid 30s. I did my first solo cruise for my birthday in my late 20s and it was great. I love traveling solo - I can do what I want, when I want and how I want. It always gives me a chance to reconnect with myself. My next solo trip is my first TA in November - 12 days in a balcony cabin? I absolutely cannot wait!!

Have a great time:D.I just got back from another solo cruise...10 nights (in a balcony too)….;)

I am in my mid thirties. and I generally like to cruise solo. definitely like moving at my own pace. don't have to worry if the other person is enjoying themselves. I typically cruise in balconies for the pure joy of relaxation..

• 2 weeks later...