Bridgetown, Barbados

Curacao, Curacao Oranjestad, Aruba

St Georges, Grenada

Kingstown, Saint Vincent

Castries, Saint Lucia

Roseau, Dominica

St Johns - Antigua

Philipsburg, St Maarten

Good, bad or advice, Does anyone have any experience of the P&O shore excursions, what islands we could do our own thing either local to the port or organising our own?

Thanks N

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our only Caribbean cruise nearly 3 years ago, the only P&O excursion we did was the submarine trip on Barbados (and that was only because the operator would not let you book direct). It was well worth it though, although the accompanying P&O staff didn't once speak to or engage with the small group of pax.

Despite not having much experience of DIY I took the plunge and booked all our excursions direct with local operators. They were all unfailingly friendly, helpful and well organised and everything went exactly as described and without a hitch. We mainly did island tours because, being our first time (apart from our honeymoon on St Lucia, which wasn't one of our ports), we wanted to get an overview of each island, or wandered around on our own, i.e. in Aruba, Grand Cayman, Dominica and Tortola (I had a beach trip planned but DS has skinned his knees and shins on the ship's sports court so couldn't get sand and saltwater on them). Happy to recommend the companies we used if that is your kind of thing. Alternatively there are always mini buses/taxis at the port offering tours or trips to a beach. Just be sure both parties are clear about what has been agreed in terms of duration, price, pick-up times and vehicle you'll be travelling in and you should be fine.

We've done 2 TA Caribbean cruises and about to do our 3rd!

Have done quite a few PO excursions and a couple of private ones. Have been looking at private ones this time but most seem more expensive than PO (unless I'm looking in the wrong places!).

St Lucia - did the full day By Land and Sea tour and really enjoyed it.

St Maarten - did snorkeling with PO and organised a private scuba trip the 2nd time.

Dominica - Aerial Tram through rainforest - brilliant

Antigua - snorkel with stingrays. Really good, so much so that we're doing it again this time!

We tend to do half day tours and then explore the locale in the afternoon, or grab a taxi to a beach.

Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

We used local mini buses in port for our trips, they were cheaper than P&O but some of the driving let a lot to be desired. You can get to the beaches on your own but l would say do an excursion or stay on board in St Vincent the town is very poor.

You can get to the beaches on your own but l would say do an excursion or stay on board in St Vincent the town is very poor.

The same is true of Roseau, Dominica. We were docked a long way out and had to get a shuttle into town, for which there was a local charge. We wanted to just look around, but a combination of next to nothing to see as the town was still recovering from a hurricane, heavy downpours every 15 mins and being constantly hassled by people asking if we wanted tours or other services, even off the main tourist strip, meant we gave up after a couple of hours and returned to the ship. I believe there is a very good tour operator there, though, Bumpiing (?) which comes highly recommended.

Thanks for your replies, I’ve played safe and booked organised excursions but I will be doing some searching on the advice given to see what else may be available as it has turned out very expensive but does include a submarine ride and a tour over a rain forest canopy [emoji846]

Thanks for your replies, I’ve played safe and booked organised excursions but I will be doing some searching on the advice given to see what else may be available as it has turned out very expensive but does include a submarine ride and a tour over a rain forest canopy [emoji846]

Both are great - you'll enjoy them!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Caribbean is the easiest place for DIY trips. All the ports have taxis waiting and they charge around 20 dollars per person for a few hours. They are very reliable, we have had some lovely island tours

A little about some Caribbean ports of call from an old review I did...its quite long :o :D

St Maarten

Port:

Catch the water ferry ($6for an all day wristband last year) to the beach from the cruise terminal.Great place we have always stayed in the bay so can’t comment on the island. Itis very American lots of nice bars and the place to buy duty free, jewellery.Sunbeds and brollies on the beach usually in front of the beach bars so someonecomes out and you pay them (I think it was $10 for 2 beds last yr) then theywill run back and forward if you want drinks or snacks!

Ships excursions we havedone here are the Golden Eagle catamaran lovely afternoon cruising down to‘airport’ beach watching the plane land, snorkelling off a lovely beach andloads of rum on the way back! I have also done the America’s cup yachting herea great experience.

Antigua

Port:

The first time we came hereit rained!! So we didn’t go anywhere but walked around the town and had coffee.There are a few nice arty shops if you like that as well as the usual touristyones quite a nice place for a wander.

We have also been kayaking here out in the mangrove swamps! Also visited one off the small islands on the Atlantic side of Antigua, Bird Island the sea is very rough on that side not for the faint hearted. It is a very beautiful island so probably a good islandto go out and about there are the English Harbour and Nelsons Dockyard, which are popular places to visit. If you are a cricket fan there is a cricket touryou and do which visits the test ground and you meet one of the Caribbean cricket stars. We have used the local taxi’s here but do look after your belongings, as this is where our youngest son ‘lost’ or had stolen his iphone.Please don’t be put off by this, as 99% of the people on the islands are friendly. On our last visit here we went on the Crusoe Island excursion this was fantastic, about 40 people on their own island for the day open bar, musicand lunch thoroughly recommend if you are a beach bum.

Dickinson beach break or Coconut grove, nice beach can get busy but big and long enough for all.

Dominica

Port:

There is a warehouse wherethe ship docks, the locals set up a market there so ok for a wander. The townis about a 20-minute walk away not very much there though. We have also dockedright in Road Town right in front of the local market depends if there are twoships in port.

We have done the Arial Tram in the rain forest here I liked it. Great for seeing the rainforest, plants,trees and I did see hummingbirds don’t think P&O do this one anymore though. We have also been river tubing here three times we loved it but onlygreat for those who love the water and getting wet. Tried the tubing on thePagua River in the Carib territory but the journey there and back is very longand over very poor roads so if tubing on the Layou river is available this is amuch better option.

We have also visited the waterfalls here and then went to a black sand beach (Mero) for a couple of hours. Not an island for beaches it is a very much a tropical rainforest island with small narrow roads, mountains and valleys you do need to get out of the port to experience it but I would probably always do a ship excursion here due to the roads and terrain if you are late back on a ship tour the ship will always wait for you!

Barbados

The actual cruise terminalhas lots of shops etc but walk (about 15mins) or taxi it to Bridgetown a lot more here. As far as beach you could get a taxi to Malibu on Brighton Beach itis about 10 mins from the ship and for about $5 you can have a tour of the distillery. There are beds and a bit of shade on the beach it is an absolutely beautiful beach

If you take a taxi anywhereon most islands you only pay the driver when he returns to take you back to the ship just give yourselves plenty of time to get back before the time they wantyou back onboard. There are lots of things to see and do in Barbados dependingon whether you are beach fans, like the fauna and flora things or getting outon the water. My favourite time here was on a catamaran sailing down the coast stopping at Sandy Lane beach then out to a reef to swim with turtles. Most times here though we just walk into Bridgetown then out the other side onto Carlisle Bay for a swim and a beer. (Check it out on Google earth)

St Lucia

We have always gone outhere, there are two cruise terminals the one on the right side of the bay doesnot have much, on the left side it is much better with shops and bars. Lots oftaxi’s offering trips

We have visited Pitons andthe volcano. The last couple of times we have got a taxi to Wharf Bar on Chocbeach. There is a small Sandals resort at one end but it is quite quiet thereis never that many people there. Unfortunately now this beach is only half aslovely as our first visit as during the rainy season a river flows out into thebay, and a lot of sand and palm trees have been washed away. We have on ourlast couple of times gone up to Rodney/ Reduit Bay gets very busy if there area couple of ships in port but it’s a nice beach plenty of bars, shops if youwant to wander off the beach. For a first timer in St Lucia I would probablyvisit the Pitons and the volcano whether you do it in an organised excursion or take one of the local taxi’s maybe share with someone else from the ship or use Cosol tours great local tour book via website pay after tour.

Aruba

On our first visit here ourfriends got married so our day was spent at their wedding! We did go to abeautiful beach for photos after it is an island much like Barbados of whitepowder sand beaches and resort hotels. Our last couple of times here we havecaught the local bus to Eagle beach its only about 5 US dollars return for both of us! The sunbeds and straw umbrella cost us over $20 on the beach and acouple of beers were expensive at $6 dollars each though.

Bonaire

Went to a coral beach (Edenbeach) for snorkelling as the reef is very close to the shore amazing for this as this island is one of the top dive sites in the world, beach shoes are agood idea as the sand is crushed coral We walked off the ship in the afternoon,as there is a small market and craft stalls set up on the quayside and few bars and a couple of drinks in one sharing the table and nearby tree with come ofthe largest iguanas I have ever seen!

Recently we have taken oneof the ‘Chiva’ buses around the island seeing the flamingos, salt lakes and the slave huts then stopping off at a lagoon/beach for a couple of hours.

Curacao

First time we visited wedocked right inside Willemstad the floating bridge was opened to let us passthrough. We took a taxi to Sea Aquarium beach nice sandy beach quite close toWillemstad for a couple of hours, although if there are other ships in portthis can get quite busy. Then spent a couple of hours in Willemstad across thefloating bridge is a nice shopping area, restaurants and bars. Second time herewe docked at the Mega pier just outside Willemstad the cruise terminal area hasnice bars and shops and you can walk into Willemstad in about 10 minutes. Wedid a beach transfer here to a beach just a little further up from the SeaAquarium beach. There is a highly recommended local bus company called Irie Tours, which have atour, stop at the Curcao distillery, and an hour or so at the beach admissionprice included all for $20 (also beer and soft drinks!). Blue Bay another nice beach not too far away as well.

Grenada

The water taxi’s directly next to the ships pier will take you to GrandAnse beach and bring you back again, think the last time we used them it was $5dollars each way? Might have gone up to $6 now, make sure you get some small $bills when getting your holiday money. The water taxi’s run all day every 15minutes or so. Grand Anse beach is huge so if you are looking for a quiet spot don’t take the first sun beds offered walk further along the beach. There is amarket area where sovenirs, cold drinks, food and toilets are available. We no longer go to this beach having found our ‘ideal’ beach a bit further a fieldthe name of which I have been asked not to say!! Grenada is the spice island ofthe Caribbean so a place to taste and buy the wonderful spices available here we usually go home with a few but jerk chicken is probably the only thing we have cooked at home!

Tortola

We have visited several times here is a brief over view of the excursionswe have done as value for money the Tortola excursions are cheaper than theother islands.

Beach transfer – this is usually to Cane Garden Beach a lovely beach butcan be crowded if more than one ship is port. This is easily available by localopen sided buses and cheaper than the ship excursion costs just allow plenty oftime to get there and back. (Once our buses gear box fell out!! Had to wait forhis mate to come and pick us up luckily it was on the way there so we had allday)

Virgin Gorda – have done this twice it is about a 45 minute ferry or fastmotor boat ride across but it is an amazing place. It does involve quite a bitof walking and if you wish to go to Devils Bay you have to climb up rocks,steps etc, go in water up to your knees and be able to bend down quite low.Again if there is more than one ship docked or a ship tendering off VirginGorda it can be busy. The first time we went here we were lucky enough to bethe only visitors apart from the yatchs and private motor boats, last time itwas very busy as two ships were docked in Tortola and a Silversea cruiser wastendering locally.

Jost Van Dyke – a 45 minute motor boat ride through Sir Francis DrakeChannel takes you to an island on the other side of Tortola where you have acouple of hours on a fine white sand beach White Bay. There are a couple ofbars here and you get a snack and a drink included in the price. Good value anda nice excursion.

Virgin Island Sailaway – did this last time unfortunately we did not havethe greatest of weather quite showery and overcast the whole time. A catamaransails you to Peter Island where you have chance to snorkel. I did enjoy this wesaw rays and an abundance of fish. A stop on Norman Island at a beach club fora drink you can also buy lunch here, the beach is not great but then we did nothave the weather that day. An ok excursion good for a bit of snorkelling and asail on a catamaran (obviously the poor weather made it less enjoyable forus)

Skyworld and Cane Garden Beach – great value if you have not been toTortola you see the island have a great photo opportunity (Skyworld is in facta resturant in the middle of the island where you can go on the roof and seefor miles on a clear day) then go to Cane Garden Beach for lunch and time onthe beach.

St Vincent – not a favourite port the town is quite run down and not agreat deal to do locally. There is a water taxi on the pier which will take youround to Villa beach a narrow beach with a few bars etc can become crowded iflots go there.

Have done the Waterfall and Coast excursion which will take you to the filmset from pirates of the Caribbean, after about an hour or so in a bus so yousee a bit of the island, lunch at a resturant then a cruise back to the port.

Escape to Bequia – a catamaran across to Bequia where you have some time onthe beach and lunch onboard. I loved this as it was very much real sailing as it can be quite gusty and choppy sailingacross but those who don’t have verygood sea legs did find it a problem as it is quite a long way, (my husbandwould not do it again).

Hope you find this useful.

This is such a great post. Will be so useful when we take our Christmas cruise on the Azura.

If you are calling at Grand Cayman, and nothing else grabs you in the way of excursion, I highly recommend a DIY trip to the Seven Fathoms Rum Distillery. The tours operate at fixed times: when we booked three years ago, IIRC you could book your place online and then pay cash when you turned up on the day. Unless things have changed, you get generous samples of all their rums and liqueurs. The distillery is only small, but with the tasting etc taken by the guide Moses (who is a lovely guy and absolutely hilarious) we were there a good couple of hours. My daughter doesn't really drink, so he made her a lovely fruity cocktail instead of the samples, and you could have juice too. Take a taxi from the port (it's too far to walk along a very busy road), and the distillery will call you a taxi for the return to port or wherever you want to go. We just returned to port and mooched around the shops. The American newlyweds with whom we shared the return taxi went on to do swimming with turtles which they'd booked.