Don't go on cruise without?

FraserK

Ear plugs in case your cabin has noise (machinery or other passengers) or vibration.

Flip flops or slippers for your cabin; I asked for some and got some but they are not a given sadly

First aid kit - I tripped, fell and cut my elbow aboard the Britannia. On the phone to the medical staff they told me to go to the shop and I was left to fend for myself. Treated very poorly. So antiseptic wipes and plasters as a minimum.

Sun cream - everything in the shop is so expensive.

I never leave the house without wipes and plasters, never mind a cruise! A hangover from when kids were little.

Medical Centre did you a huge service by directing you to the onboard shop. You would have had little change from £100 if they had treated you.

Love these replies!!!

Cuff links are on my list for hubby.

Kat

I keep a pair in my travel jewellery case because my husband is incapable of remembering them and I have been known to forget to remind him that he will need some. :D:D

Flip flops or slippers for your cabin; I asked for some and got some but they are not a given sadly

First aid kit - I tripped, fell and cut my elbow aboard the Britannia. On the phone to the medical staff they told me to go to the shop and I was left to fend for myself. Treated very poorly. So antiseptic wipes and plasters as a minimum.

Sun cream - everything in the shop is so expensive.

P&O slippers are given to people who are Mediterranean level and above in the Peninsula Club as one of the perks.

Regards first aid, I agree with Fanged Rose it would normally cost a lot of money for the medical team to deal with you. However, if you had tripped and fallen onboard, to my mind that leaves them with a certain liability and I would be making sure it was noted as an accident at the very least and would not expect to pay for medical treatment if they could have been held responsible for the injury.

I got a piece of glass in my toe from a P&O dance floor a few years back and needed the doctor to remove it. I was told that I would have to pay for the medical treatment, but could write to P&O head office when I returned home. After my insistence the "accident" was well documented though (I think at the medical centre to make sure proof of the injury was logged). I also put strong written objections into reception that I had been made to pay (£50) for the doctors attention in the first instance (via our on board account) for something caused by their ineffectual cleaning. After I got home I was able to recover the cost of the medical treatment from head office. I assume I may also have been eligible for compensation, but I did not bother to pursue that as I was fine after the small piece of glass was removed. Of course an injury can also have other effects later (infection etc.) so always worth making sure an injury is noted in case you want to claim at a later date.

Love it. I already know his debit card pin. 😇😇

If I am honest I have NO idea what my pin is for our credit card --- hubby does as it is a joint one!

He handles all of the money side of things as we'd be broke if he didn't !

I suppose I don't need the pin number, I just give him the:loudcry: 'big wide eyed' looks like the cat from Shrek and hey presto (if you excuse the term), he uses the pin number ...

Re the look -- if you don't know what it is, practise ladies ---- :D

;-)

If I am honest I have NO idea what my pin is for our credit card --- hubby does as it is a joint one!

He handles all of the money side of things as we'd be broke if he didn't !

I suppose I don't need the pin number, I just give him the:loudcry: 'big wide eyed' looks like the cat from Shrek and hey presto (if you excuse the term), he uses the pin number ...

Re the look -- if you don't know what it is, practise ladies ---- :D

;-)

All of our accounts are joint but it was useful to have his pin ( and card ) when I wanted more cash than the daily limit on the cards. Not necessary now since the limit was updated to some ridiculous amount.

Will start practising the look when we go shopping later. ;)

Hi

On the countdown to my first ever cruise and I know I seen a post somewhere her whilst doing my research but a question to all you season cruisers.....what would you not leave without? Started my list but want to make sure that I don't miss something :D

Kat

41 days to go!!!

mini flashlight ,Tylenol,pens,paper,camera (yes ,people still use them)

Nappy sacks! We always put our dirty underwear into one each day and tie the bag up. It just seems a bit nicer than having them in with everything else. They are really useful for all sorts of other things too.

Baby wipes. Handy for keeping in your bag for a quick freshen up, to clean dirty hands, great for getting stains off your clothes, even cleaning dusty shoes.

Seem crazy ideas but they are actually really useful.

Kindle, with at least 6 new books downloaded. Multi USB hub to charge devices. Barrier cream to protect my hands from the evil gel as I am allergic to it. Generally I avoid using it and just wash hands frequently, but now and again one of the staff catches me and sprays before I can run away!

• 2 weeks later...

I have lots of things that are useful for us, although others might not think so! Here is my list:-

Antibacterial wipes for the aeroplane- tray, armrest and tv control/screen as I worry someone might have had travel sickness on the plane before me.

A can of the Dettol spray for the cabin, I use it on the a/c vent and the cabin surfaces. It also stays in the bathroom and gets rid of unwanted smells.

Large sunbed clips for beach towels.

Toothbrush covers with suction cups that attach our toothbrushes to the mirror and are out of the way.

A hanging organiser with multiple pockets which I hang in the wardrobe, it’s ideal for sunglasses, tweezers, lip balm, hairbrush etc.

A magnetic backed digital clock which goes on the wall - mobile phones don’t update at sea and we don’t always wear a watch.

The battery operated tea lights for the bathroom at night as well a small torch to keep by the bed.

A tin of our favourite coffee as we aren’t fond of the sachets in the cabin.

Basic first aid kit, indigestion tablets, pain killers, antihistamines and bug spray if going to the tropics.

Wall magnets, useful for putting paperwork on the wall.

We take a map of the area we are cruising in and put it on the wall so we can plot our course.

Binoculars - great for looking at passing islands or other ships when in port.

Strong magnetic hooks which go on the wall and I hang costume jewellery on as well as hats.

Lanyards for cruise card - tried not using them but soon got fed up looking for my cruise card every time I wanted to open the cabin door or get a drink. They also get hung on a wall hook.

A lightweight beach bag or backpack as handy for taking towels, books and sun cream when on the ship or going ashore.

Laminated copies of our passport page as useful to carry and means we can leave our passports in the safe (unless we are told we have to take passports with us as some places do)

We also store the ships phone number in our phones and take a photograph of the port agent details when we go ashore.

Reading glasses (and a spare pair)

Peanuts - we enjoy a drink on the balcony and a few peanuts are nice.

I have just ordered some reusable stainless steel drinking straws as I don’t want to use the plastic ones, not tried it before but will see if it works out.

Charging cables for phone and iPad - have never needed the four way gang extension but there are only the two of us in the cabin.

Ziplock bags for putting phone in on the beach. Also useful for bottles that might leak and wet swimwear.

Some sweets as P&O don’t seem to provide them anymore.

Some cheap fridge magnets which go on the outside of the cabin door - easy to spot your cabin when walking back as they all look alike.

A few cans of soft drinks and tonic water.

Local currency as the exchange rate is poor on the ship - also small denominations as useful for tipping.

Wet wipes for when out and about and unable to wash hands.

Non of this is essential but works for us, most stuff I get from EBay or the £1 stores. Our next cruise is to the Caribbean and I am getting a cooling towel but have no idea if it works but will give it a go.

My husband thinks I am mad but admits it does make things easier - although the maps are all down to him but he is a sailor so enjoys plotting our course. We always joke how the Captain has done a good job.

Brilliant list Fluffyfifi, very similar to mine except for the toothbrush suction containers, very useful, where would I get those from?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-PCS-Smile-Face-Toothbrush-Cover-Holder-with-Suction-Cup-Bath-G8C5/323301198861?epid=1351299052&hash=item4b4640cc0d:g:OA0AAOSwE-xbImgp

Hope this helps.

Fiona