New to Cruises

Disney Family

Just wanted to say hi. I've just booked a cruise for my wife and I next August, and it will be the first cruise we'e ever done. We're sailing on the Aurora from Southampton on their 4-night Bruges trip. So looking forward to it. Also slightly nervous as we don't know what to expect, and the fact we're leaving our children with their grandparents and this will be the first break we've really had without them.

We're hoping to go to Florida in 2020 and doing a cruise from their as part of our holiday to Orlando, so next year's trip seemed like an ideal starter to see what we think of cruising.

Any advice or tips is very gratefully received.

Thanks

Tom.

Hello and welcome. I’m sure you will love cruising, you have picked a lovely ship for a first cruise. Aurora is a nice size to find you way around.

I would suggest that on a 4 day cruise you get as much as posisble booked via your on line cruise personaliser so that you can just enjoy the experience once onboard. The personaliser has all the information you will need about excursions, the special restaurants onboard, dress code for your trip etc.

The port of Zeebrugge is actually quite a bit out of Brugge. The ship will provide a shuttle to the little town of Blankenburg which is a pretty enough little place but nothing like as interesting as Brugge if you have not been there before. Blankenburg station has trains into Brugge and once there you have to find your way from the station to the centre which is about a 20minutes walk. The whole travel process takes time so you lose part of the day.

The ship provides a wide variety of excursions which you can pre book. They can be quite expensive compared to DIY trips but you have the security of knowing the ship will wait for you. They generally provide excellent guides.

You can get a fully guided tour or a “Brugge on your own” where they take you in, provide a map and a meeting point.

On a 4day cruise the speciality (extra charge) restaurants fill quickly so if this is something you would like then book as early as possible. The menus for Sindu (Atol Kocher, Indian food) are available on the P&O web site so you can see pursue to see if the food would suit you. You may prefer to stick with the main restaurants.

Take some travel sickness tablets just in case or stem ginger which also helps with motion sickness. You should have no trouble though as the ship is pretty stable.

You may also want to think about car parking at the dock if you need it or a hotel for the night before depending on the length of your journey.

Any questions you have just ask and someone on here will be able to help.

Ps I take it from the name that your next cruise might be on the Wonder or the Magic? They are amazing!

Don't judge all cruisers by the possible behaviour of those on a short/weekend/"booze cruise" .

I wouldn't book the speciality restaurants as first timers. Use the main dining rooms (which you have already paid for) to see how they suit before splashing the cash. You can always use the buffet if you really don't like the MDR.

I would book excursions on line before going if there is somewhere you particularly want to see. They do get sold out, and it is slightly cheaper to book before you go.

Read the daily programme from cover to cover. Lot's of things happen every day that you might miss. Eg lots of people miss afternoon tea in MDR because it is not mentioned in the main programme pages, but it is mentioned in the restaurant opening times on the back page.

Remember the £7 pppd service charge/tips. It can be removed with a visit to reception and you can tip personally, or leave them on and forget about tipping. You can always give a little extra if you want. (There are numerous threads, which go on for pages if you can be bothered) .

ENJOY

Hi....be prepared to be fully hooked on cruising. As stated Aurora is a good size of ship to start on because your initial reaction could be a feeling of being slightly overwhelmed by it all. The day of embarkation can be a little " manic" with everyone getting sorted....where's my cabin/dining areas/entertainment areas/lifts etc and then the muster as to where you should be. It is compulsory and they scan your cruise card so take all cabin occupants cruise cards with your muster meeting area....details of that in your cabin. It will take you a few days to find your way around the ship and the routine of it all so that really 4 days will not be long enough to appreciate the full joy of cruising.The main thing is just to relax and enjoy. Unless you have a special occasion happening while on the cruise I would just use the MDR for 4 nights and lunch if you prefer to be waited on. If you prefer " helping yourself" then use the buffet for your meals....in the evening the buffet has a different theme ....whether its Italian....Thai....seafood...Mexican...Best Of British etc.

On your formal night you are expected to dress appropriately in the MDR and certain bars but again if your preference is not to " dress up" then use the buffet and the bars that accept casual dress.

Your first cruise always remains memorable

Hi and welcome to both Cruise Critic and P+O :)

What dining option did you select when you booked? Would you be wanting an intimate meal with just the 2 of you, or to share with others? (By the way, the 'MDR' is the Main Dining Room).

I suggest you spend some time reading about your ship (either on-line or in a brochure) between now and the cruise, then come on here and ask any/every question you have.

We have been on board Aurora several times and visited Bruges both in winter and summer seasons. I can recommend the ship and Bruges as an excellent port of call.:D

Can't add to the excellent advice posted so far other than to say that as you are cruising in August try and take in a Canal boat ride whilst in Bruges as they don't do the Canal trips in Winter.

I'm sure you will enjoy the whole cruising experience.

Just to reiterate what has been said by others, taster/short cruises shouldn't be the yardstick for other cruises.

My sister in law was desperate to go on a cruise and her husband booked a 3 day trip on Celebrity (who we normally cruise with), their experience could not have been more different to ours, it was basically a party ship, full of stags and hens etc.

Not wanting to put you off, just go into it with an open mind and don't be put off by any drunken behaviour you may see, it isn't the norm for longer cruises. Enjoy your cruise.

I agree with Jean.

As it is a short cruise and just one port of call at Zeebrugge for Bruges I would save your money and stick with the inside cabin.

Especially if you have ether A297 or A298 as they are larger inside cabins which we have booked in the past.

Thanks, we'll leave the cabin booking as is I think. We've got B128 booked and we saw a review of one almost identical on Youtube which should be fine for us.

Mods - Apologies I did post the name of the TA I used, please remove as necessary.

Agree agree with others a 4 day is a very different experience but the ship remains the same. Sindhu is a great choice, fabulous food.

I would stick with your inside cabin, not really much to see on that cruise from a window, use the money in the bar or the spa!

Guaranteed you will sleep well in an inside too. Make sure you set an alarm if you need to be anywhere as it’s ver easy to sleep in!

Enjoy your cruise x

Thanks, we'll leave the cabin booking as is I think. We've got B128 booked and we saw a review of one almost identical on Youtube which should be fine for us.

Mods - Apologies I did post the name of the TA I used, please remove as necessary.

Yes, I'm sure you have made the right decision.

Also, I see you are also visiting Guernsey. :D