La Guardia 411 - (congestion/construction issues)

138east

#sigh ... It's a no win situation. Headache this morning with power outage affecting numerous MTA subway lines (been out since a little after 8 AM & just restored, residual delays expected,) weather wrecking flight ops at airports - TGIF, sure.

Taxis and free Q70 SBS buses are appealing. Car service pickup, including Uber/Lyft & limo/black car remained a shuttle ride away in the outdoors. Most exiting are heading toward Manhattan and the backup begins squeezing toward the RFK Bridge or BQE for the Queens Midtown Tunnel (going cash-less toll soon/already at QMT) - except both have weekend/weekday off-peak closures & maintenance) Thus, massive traffic jams and gridlocks at times, Ed Koch/59th Street Bridge has been hopelessly jammed on weekend.

Took the QMT one recent Saturday and took an extra 35+ minutes to get into Midtown East as driving was the only option. I feel bad those all those LGA taxi riders caught with the $$ meter running - that's an extra $20 in fare (50 cents a minute if not moving) vs. using car services or ride sharing. Of course, taking LIRR and/or NJT is also rolling the dices - fair share of signal problems & power/switching issues lately.

Baseball season is here, as long as Mets are not playing at home - things "shouldn't get any worst." Time to take a cruise & get out of town next weekend, LOL.

• 3 months later...

LGA is moving ahead - Delta, the largest here, running their hub operations - but, at least 2 more years to see the new Terminal ready with 37 gates. Terminal C and D will soon be history.

Story in USA Today last week - some very interesting pictures: https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2017/08/10/delta-celebrates-groundbreaking-new-4-b-terminal-laguardia/557009001/

The big question lately - how is the congestions in and around LGA, short answer is - not too bad ... no major gridlock or massive tie-ups like earlier, unless weather, accident & roadway closure combined to play tricks. It's still causing inconvenience - allow extra 30+ to 60+ minutes travel/transit time, both inbound & outbound, as a general rule. TSA backlogs not included.

Uploading a few pictures snapped via my in-car videocam system ("frames" edited afterward) while going westbound on GCP (coming from JFK direction) toward LGA for Manhattan. This is pretty much what the ongoing work-in-progress looked like, lots of unfinished constructions ahead - the parking structure will be great once it's done, ready & open.

58e0280c1edda3db9ff65d89dffd1334.jpg

1b68787f846b8191d743295fb0882409.jpg

f926f6e87b6f2b1d0378d3dd6fe0c007.jpg

63a253b5b2f41d69f0ec6a6a53e5e849.jpg

On most days, it's the usual big city traffic, stop-n-go and rubbernecking ... once I clear the LGA Terminal A (Marine Air Terminal) traffic along the GCP, took just about 5 minutes to get onto the cash-less, EZ-Pass (and, new Toll by Mail) R.F.K. Bridge (Triborugh) to Manhattan & Bronx - a short cut but longer drive to the cruise terminal on the West Side - no stopping whatsoever at the toll plaza (almost gone) Toll is $8.50 now each way based on cash rate. (last picture in the group)

81024bd5d7e253835d75aa573949cce9.jpg

Edited by mking8288

• 2 months later...
Mking8288, looking for an update to traffic conditions from LGA to the Brooklyn pier for a Thursday. Will be using car service from Dial 7. Will traffic conditions affect rate to be quoted?

Hi, there ... again. Lately, LGA congestion is fine, weekday morning is the typical commuter traffic in the area, heading toward Manhattan (and, Brooklyn) from GCP (Grand Central Pkwy) for the BQE (I-278) toward Lower Manhattan ... and just beyond for Red Hook's pier exit.

Unless there's weather or major accident/hazmat spills, etc. - allow about 1 hour travel time, should suffice. All FHV (For Hired Vehicles) picking up pax @LGA must now go to designated lot - from your arrival airline terminal, follow signage once you have collected all luggage & belongings (do a bathroom stop, if needed first once off the jetbridge) - to the free Green shuttle route, downstairs at arrival, outside for a short 5 minute ride to the designated lot to meet Dial7 & driver. You can call/book/reconfirm once you are inside the terminal - they are usually on standby in the area, 10-15 minutes away nearby.

Congestion/traffic should not affect the quoted/confirmed fares as it is typically based on a flat rate (unlike Uber/Lyft with congestion & surge pricing) - I do believed Dial 7 has a PM rush hour surcharge (not sure about AM) and peak time add-on, nothing bad.

We used Carmel all the time (sailing ourselves in about 10 days) and they don't have any surprises for us & always 5 minutes early to our house for pickup - ;p - check Dial 7 for online/digital coupon discount & see if they award airline miles as a bonus ... ours do, loved it. Both of them has free mobile App, made booking & tracking the dispatched car/driver easy - if you have roaming data to use while visiting here before embarkation. On my App quick fare lookup, I see $37 for a 4 dr sedan or $44 for a deluxe/luxury sedan (after a $3 discount) based on next Thus, 9:30 AM pickup at LGA to Pier 12 in Brooklyn - FYI as reference.

If you disembark to NYC again & fly home, airport dropoff will be at the airline terminal 's curbside ... no shuttles to transfer to, whew !! Have a safe & pleasant flight and happy cruising.

P.S. If traffic is exceptionally bad, don't worry too much - most of the drivers are good & know of the Kent Ave shortcut/bypass thru Queens & Brooklyn along the waterfront (bonus, you get a nice view of Manhattan's skyline) - avoiding the highways and can get you to Red Hook still in about 1 hour, maybe less ...we used to take it when commuting if near gridlock conditions prevailed, i.e. all lanes closed due to jailknifed tractor trailer, etc. Either way, no tolls involved.

Hi, there ... again. Lately, LGA congestion is fine, weekday morning is the typical commuter traffic in the area, heading toward Manhattan (and, Brooklyn) from GCP (Grand Central Pkwy) for the BQE (I-278) toward Lower Manhattan ... and just beyond for Red Hook's pier exit.

Unless there's weather or major accident/hazmat spills, etc. - allow about 1 hour travel time, should suffice. All FHV (For Hired Vehicles) picking up pax @LGA must now go to designated lot - from your arrival airline terminal, follow signage once you have collected all luggage & belongings (do a bathroom stop, if needed first once off the jetbridge) - to the free Green shuttle route, downstairs at arrival, outside for a short 5 minute ride to the designated lot to meet Dial7 & driver. You can call/book/reconfirm once you are inside the terminal - they are usually on standby in the area, 10-15 minutes away nearby.

Congestion/traffic should not affect the quoted/confirmed fares as it is typically based on a flat rate (unlike Uber/Lyft with congestion & surge pricing) - I do believed Dial 7 has a PM rush hour surcharge (not sure about AM) and peak time add-on, nothing bad.

We used Carmel all the time (sailing ourselves in about 10 days) and they don't have any surprises for us & always 5 minutes early to our house for pickup - ;p - check Dial 7 for online/digital coupon discount & see if they award airline miles as a bonus ... ours do, loved it. Both of them has free mobile App, made booking & tracking the dispatched car/driver easy - if you have roaming data to use while visiting here before embarkation. On my App quick fare lookup, I see $37 for a 4 dr sedan or $44 for a deluxe/luxury sedan (after a $3 discount) based on next Thus, 9:30 AM pickup at LGA to Pier 12 in Brooklyn - FYI as reference.

If you disembark to NYC again & fly home, airport dropoff will be at the airline terminal 's curbside ... no shuttles to transfer to, whew !! Have a safe & pleasant flight and happy cruising.

P.S. If traffic is exceptionally bad, don't worry too much - most of the drivers are good & know of the Kent Ave shortcut/bypass thru Queens & Brooklyn along the waterfront (bonus, you get a nice view of Manhattan's skyline) - avoiding the highways and can get you to Red Hook still in about 1 hour, maybe less ...we used to take it when commuting if near gridlock conditions prevailed, i.e. all lanes closed due to jailknifed tractor trailer, etc. Either way, no tolls involved.

Once again, thank you for all your detailed info. Will look into Carmel also. Took your advice from your last response to my query and did not pre book.

Planning to arrive mid morning next Thurs. so fare should be about $40-$45 for both of us and luggage??

... Took your advice from your last response to my query and did not pre book.

Planning to arrive mid morning next Thurs. so fare should be about $40-$45 for both of us and luggage??

Great, it worked out last time not pre-booking the ride. Weather forecast for next week is looking good (I just took a wild guess ... it's for next Thurs.) so I see no reasons - at the moment - to book ahead, just download the free App on your smartphone & request a ride once wheels down & up by the gate, LGA is easy as domestic arrival - both Dial 7 & Carmel has their own "bases" nearby to dispatch from.

https://www.carmellimo.com/ - see the details there for getting digital discount, up to $6 per trip. Otherwise, here's another code to use "DWL2017" emailed to use/share, etc.

With Carmel, that quoted fare is pretty much what you will be paying, cash or credit card is the same, no surcharges & they posted airline miles to my account once the stored credit is sufficient to transfer. Price check & compare w. Dial 7 and decide for yourself. We are sailing out of MCT next Sunday & planning to use Carmel ourselves.

A standard sedan is more than enough for 2 or 3 adult with luggage, something like a Toyota Camry or Nissan Altima ... been lucky sometimes ending up with a big Lincoln Towncar or even Toyota Odyssey mini-van at no extra charge upgrade by dispatch, at $40 to $45, plus tipping ~ 15% to 20% tipping for service.

Have a great ... late evening :)

---
Done with my morning errands - a simulated run "report" for you next week, as if plane just pulled up to the LGA gate at 9:30 EDT - Air Canada @ Terminal B (a/k/a central/main terminal) whereas Delta/partner flights would be at T-C or T-D. 10-15 minutes to deplane, walk out & downstairs to luggage carousal, a quick restroom stop (just in case ... can't stand those narrow-bodied jet's tiny lavatory) wait for bags to come up - picked up & ready for car service, etc. by now.

Airport has free WiFi to use, launch smartphone App to request pickup. Just input "Brooklyn Cruise Terminal" (It's 72 Browne Street) - Carmel's App, pickup shown in 6 minutes or more (faster than you can get to the Green shuttle lot). Std. sedan is $40 and deluxe/luxury sedan is $47, before digital discount - set a pickup in 15 or 20 minutes (for 10:05) to allow time to walk outside, wait & shuttle over.

Pre-set your email address, mobile #, etc. - Carmel (or Dial 7) would text/SMS assigned car # & driver info within a minute - real-time map on App will show its location nearby & en route, ETA to pickup. Listen for a call from driver as s/he get closer to re-confirm where you are ... I find it helpful to tell how many in our party/group, light or dark color clothing, # of luggage or other easy to spot "features" like traveling with a child, hat & sunglasses, etc.

That's it, enjoy a quick ride over to parking lot/pickup area, greeters are there to help - car service pull out, get in - usually numerous FHV there, confirm you are in the right one assigned & destination. Driver will help you load luggage. Get in, buckle up & enjoy the ride ... take a short nap. Based on real-time traffic, Waze App (used by Google & iPhone Map) - you will be at BCT in Red Hook about 10:50 AM (45 to 50 minutes in typical late morning commuter traffic)

(P.S. It's been like 15 years since we visited the greater Toronto area, until recently ... shocked to discover that traffic is as bad as NYC, if not worst and we're staying in the suburb near Scarborough. Wow and we couldn't use that #407 toll freeway without the "pass". NYC traffic & congestion aren't no worst than major US/Canada metro area.)

• 1 month later...

Heads up for this weekend/upcoming holidays - 6 airlines at LGA will be playing musical chairs among terminals. Please check your airline terminals for arrival & departure - from PANYNJ

On 12/9 Alaska, American, Delta Shuttle, Frontier, JetBlue, & Spirit relocate terminals.

Allow plenty of extra travel time and expect congestion, confusion and traffic jams - JetBlue and Alaska Airlines will no longer be using Terminal B, commonly considered the "Main" or Central Terminal - relocated to Terminal A, known to us as the old MAT, Marine Air Terminal where many hourly "shuttle" flights used to land & depart from ... closest/nearest to the "long-term" parking lot (translation - more traffic to/from this remote/satellite terminal west of the "main" airport, easiest to access via the 82nd. Street/MAT exit. Click or highlight the following URL - http://laguardiaairport.com/lgaonthemove/

Traffic congestion during peak and busy airport hours has worsen again since Thanksgiving and expected to continue thru the New Year.

Safe travel :cool:

• 6 months later...

Here's my pictorial update on LGA's ongoing long-term reconstruction, thru 2020+

A lot more work ahead pending completion, and the Governor just signed the AirTrain connection link this week ... that's going to be years away, plus all the NIMB chatters. Connection at a new ? Citifield terminal with the #7 subway line and LIRR.

5e32d8bf3af0bb06dcb1a4a7059eb84a.jpg

4fe12a02f0217a05083e884f107a157f.jpg

These are taken eastbound on the Grand Central Pkwy, coming from Manhattan & heading for LGA this morning ... noticed that all the commuter traffic were mostly westbound into the "city."

abb0ee6b3c60eade66e3e397f7cffbea.jpg

65eed33d490468a8eabfce36be4e49ba.jpg

52362d1975f7716a721030e828fe6b3f.jpg

The buzzword for the next several days, especially today & tomorrow & next weekend, expect and plan for congestion & gridlock conditions around the airport's access roadways ... besides, it's baseball season at nearby Citifield.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288

We fly to lga every year at same time of the year , last months was by far the worst was on American , waited 30 mins for luggage , went to taxi line, they were not allowing taxis here, in stead had to get on bus to got to another area with taxi stand, then another wait , in total 3 hours to get to midtown.

The buzzword for the next several days, especially today & tomorrow & next weekend, expect and plan for congestion & gridlock conditions around the airport's access roadways ... besides, it's baseball season at nearby Citifield.

The way the Mets have been playing, I don't see there being a problem with huge crowds :(.

I haven't flown in or out of LGA in ages, but I booked a JetBlue flight into there in October and out in January (to/from FLL) because I couldn't get a decent price/time into Westchester, which is my preferred airport. I was told that because they're in the Marine Air Terminal, it won't be as bad as the main terminal mess. Also I will be dropping off and picking up a Hertz car, and apparently the car rental shuttle buses leave from outside of the MAT since they are nearby.

I flew in and out of JFK last month and couldn't deal with the Airtrain and Van Wyck traffic again.

Wast at Terminal A last night, will be there next Sunday.

TSA has 3 lanes but as usual two are closed. They do not have TSA PreCheck. If you have PreCheck you have a sepreate line for document check BUT only one TSO checking documents and he alternated between lines.

If you have pre-check you get to go thru the metal detector with shoes and belt on but everything else comes out of your bag, laptop 311 items as they only have one Xray. They move the big red "Lane Closed" sign to let you thru the metal dector.

CIBO Gourmet is still the only food option post security and they are under construction. They moved the bar from the center to the left wall. They have added some sit-down menu service that was not in operation 7p Sunday.

MCO/BOS/FLL flight boarding and it was a zoo, only 6 gates but they used the 3 next to each other, lines blocked access to bathroom

Parking at the lot at T-A is now ParkRight pay by app which isn't an app but a website. First hour is free then you are supposed to log into the website and say how long you will be parked and pay by credit card. They no longer take ez-pass or any agent to pay on exit. There is an agent there just to take down license plate numbers and place "YOU DID NOT PAY" notices on windshields.

Still easy in and out no matter how you arrive, private car, cab or bus.

Wast at Terminal A last night, will be there next Sunday.

TSA has 3 lanes but as usual two are closed. They do not have TSA PreCheck. If you have PreCheck you have a sepreate line for document check BUT only one TSO checking documents and he alternated between lines.

Well, that sucks! Sounds like even worse than Westchester.

Another vertical annoying thing is we applied for tsa and only get it about 75 percent of the time, also here was no line for first class on recent flights
We're getting off topic here, but are you saying that you have a TSA Precheck number and put it in your reservation but it did not appear on your boarding pass?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Here's one of many news with editorial comments about the planned LGA AirTrain, timeline for completion is 2022, give or take ... (I would say, 5 years away)

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-edit-laguardia-20180629-story.html

If one can get onto the NYC subway now, there are current connections via the Woodside & Jackson Heights station to connect to LGA's limited stop SBS bus service, with luggage racks and can be done to/from midtown Manhattan in 30 to 45 minutes ... if the subways are on-time and not delayed (fingers crossed for that one).

#7 subway line is prone to delays until the 100 years old aging signal systems are fully replaced, upgraded & improved - taking it for 2 more ("express") stops to Willet Points station isn't necessary going to be much faster, except ... maybe, for a seamless transfer across the platform (by design) with luggage for travelers. Ditto for the LIRR from NY's Penn Station, except that it's infrequent services, once every 30 minutes except during peak AM & PM travel time on weekdays ... ridership is low & limited services on weekends & evenings by train on this local route.

Just background info on LGA and the upcoming timeline on what to expect ... always plan for extra travel time, regardless of how the Mets & NY Yankees are playing their baseball games this or next season.

As Brighton Line noted (thanks, that's very, very helpful-useful & informative, as we don't use LGA outbound even it's so close, Runway is directly across the Bay from us) - once at LGA's terminal, TSA & Pre-Check are the hidden surprises ... The few times using LGA, flying home on a late connection, knowing that terminals are nearly empty & easy to get picked up for the shorter ride - home.

The way the Mets have been playing, I don't see there being a problem with huge crowds :(.

I haven't flown in or out of LGA in ages, but I booked a JetBlue flight into there in October and out in January (to/from FLL) because I couldn't get a decent price/time into Westchester, which is my preferred airport. I was told that because they're in the Marine Air Terminal, it won't be as bad as the main terminal mess. Also I will be dropping off and picking up a Hertz car, and apparently the car rental shuttle buses leave from outside of the MAT since they are nearby.

I flew in and out of JFK last month and couldn't deal with the Airtrain and Van Wyck traffic again.

Take the LIRR to Jamaica. Jamaica to AirTrain is the way to beat the traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

FYI - link to live camera feeds by Earthcam for LGA - (bookmark it on your browsers) - 3 cams, the best one is aimed toward Terminal B ("Central Terminal) - one of the 15+ new "flyover" highway/roadway access ramps being constructed - plenty of unfinished construction work in progress, updated airport completion date for the major work is now set for 2021 (2020 was the target date)

https://www.earthcam.net/projects/laguardia/p2garage/rwd.php?cam=p2garage

The "flyover" that opened last week with publicity is the first new one, it alleviate about 20 to 25% of the airport traffic, heading over to the Delta terminals C & D, on the eastern end of the airport - closer to the nearby small Marina & Flushing.

Full press release from NY Governor's Office -

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-opening-new-flyover-highway-ease-traffic-laguardia-airport

That helps but it isn't going to make a major difference, traffic patterns will continue to shift and there's midday constructions ongoing, sometimes, resulting in lane closure on the Grand Central Parkway.

• 4 months later...

LGA's just open some of the new airline gates at its expanding (still) Terminal B (known to previous generations of flyes as the main/central terminal, with AA, UA and Air Canada) this past weekend.   

A designated pickup area is now in the parking garage, clearly marked - no longer requiring a shuttle ride to a satellite lot ... taxis are in a different section of arrival.  Here are some of the news:

https://newyorkyimby.com/2018/12/first-new-gates-open-for-laguardia-airports-8-billion-redevelopment.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/laguardia-airport-photos-review-2018-12#the-new-ride-hailing-pickup-area-was-the-strongest-indication-i-received-that-laguardia-is-making-progress-36

Check out some of the pictures posted ... with the busy holiday travel period coming up, still advisable to plan for & allow extra travel time, getting to the airport post-cruise/disembarkation; and, for arrival with ground transfer to cruise piers (especially flying in day of, not something we really recommend - but.) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Here are some of the latest photos I took last week & this week while at LGA, going to/from Hertz rental, which is located east of the (main) Terminal (B) & also T-C & T-D, closer to T-A used mainly by JetBlue, all of which required a transfer via the free blue or red shuttle, depending on where you "deplane" - to T-A's parking/staging area for ALL rental car pickups.  

Suffice to say, LGA is the middle of its multi-year redevelopment & construction projects, while some of the newer multi-story car parks & for-hired vehicles (ride-sharing & car service/limo) are slowly being migrated to these structure, now much closer to the highway (Grand Central Parkway or GCP) - the terminals are far from finished, although some of the newer gates are open for business.  CC cruisers arriving & departing same day for cruises - allow plenty of and sufficient time, plus extra reserves, to get into the airport AND to make it to your airline's terminal, in addition to getting thru TSA (pre-check or not) security and finally to your aircraft's gate, even if not checking bags and doing carry-on compliant bags only.  

Ground transportation has always been & remained on the lower/street level, look for signage - some digitized and up-to-the-minute in real-time, about the next arriving shuttles, buses or where/what to tell the driver, exactly, on where you will be standing or waiting ... there is absolutely no place for the driver/vehicle to stop & wait - airport security will chase them off & to keep moving.  

From Terminal A (or Hertz) - I get into a shuttle to go to T-C (used by Spirit & Delta) on almost the far side of the airport - it took easily 20 minutes in bumper-to-bumper traffic that was 3 lanes wide, trapped & stranded are those airporter buses & coaches ... doing load & run, with passengers & luggage.  From there, it was another 10 minutes to exit the airport's ever-changing (often, unmarked or confusing) network of service roadways - to get onto local streets & the nearest highway's entrance ramps.  

I also took a few pictures of some of the local "motels" used by the city for a variety of purposes, including emergency housing for disaster/fire & human/social services.  One of them is near a MTA city bus stop near the Hampton Inns, next to the NY LaGuardia Plaza Hotel ... all of them located along Ditmas Blvd a/k/a "hotel row" - across the highway/parkway from the airport, it's "walkable" but not recommended, as there is really no clear & safe walk path to make it luggage friendly & accessible.  

Traffic congestion in front of Terminal B, many considered it the old "main" terminal used by United, American, Air Canada & others ... was the worst.  Terminal A used by JetBlue on the western end, known to many as the (old) Marine Air Terminal is much less congested - and can be reached by a different exit/entrance ramp from the parkway.   Hotel shuttles, like car rentals, will meet & pick up - especially during the day & peak period, only from T-A's designated lot area, clearly marked.  Dropoffs are - usually & normally permitted - at individual airline terminals.  

Collage 2019-06-12 14_17_46.jpg

Collage 2019-06-12 14_15_14.jpg

Collage 2019-06-12 14_20_04.jpg

Collage 2019-06-12 14_21_57.jpg

Collage 2019-06-12 14_18_19.jpg

Edited by mking8288