Cheap & Easy way from DCA to Baltimore (and back again)

Sauer-kraut

What is your travel date & likely arrival time into BWI ? # of travelers and pc. of luggage ?? What is your plan at BWI, i.e. check into nearby hotel pre-cruise, etc. ?

There is no easy answer without knowing more details ?

SuperShuttle offers a shared-ride option (if available) at $44 p/p one-way or direct non-stop ride for $77 p/p one-way. Go Airport Shuttle is one of the competing services but they generally require advanced reservation, not good if you are on a standby fare basis on the short ORD-DCA run.

Driving is an option ?? ... if you have a corporate/AAA/AARP or gov't/per diem discount, book a one-way car rental on short notice, is another possible option ... I just did a quick random lookup, base fares, fees & taxes for a compact/mid-size is about $95 all inclusive, no drop-off fees, plus refilling the gas tank for the 55 to 60 miles trip. Car rental availability on weekend is generally good - drive time is anywhere from 1 to 2 hours via I-95.

Otherwise, take the Metro line into DC's Union Station, catch the next Amtrack into BWI Airport Station, transfer to the regional/commuter line known as MARC to the terminal ... Google will display real-time options & this is likely your "cheaper" option.

Thanks for the replies. It is just one traveller -- carry on luggage so not a big deal. I was looking at the Metro-Amtrak-Light rail thing but not sure about connections and if I'd be waiting around a lot in between connections. I had not even considered renting a car, and that might be the way to go!

I have a few weeks to figure it out, thanks so much for the information. :)

It's at least theoretically very simple, especially if you're only traveling with a carry-on.

Metro from DCA to Union Station: Yellow Line to Gallery Place-Chinatown. Transfer to Red Line to Union Station.

MARC from Union Station Baltimore Penn Station. If it's a weekend, the trains are about every 75 minutes on Saturday and every two hours on Sunday. https://mta.maryland.gov/sites/default/files/Penn_Apr23_Full.pdf. Amtrak is more expensive, but there's typically a train of some sort about every hour. Take a cab or Uber from Baltimore Penn Station to the cruise port.

The "theoretical" part is we're in a multi-year construction/renovation project on Metro with seemingly random closures...

mking8288: Does MARC go to the cruise terminal? I thought the closest you could get was Penn Station?

... Does MARC go to the cruise terminal? ... could get was Penn Station?
Not to the cruise terminal, AFAIK - the Amtrak/MARC station is about 1 mile from the airline terminals, complimentary shuttle bus runnning every 12 to 25 minutes - and, of course, there are usually local taxi available. The nearest train station to the Baltimore cruise port is near BWI Airport, just off the B.W. Parkway.

** For OP **

Google Map on a desktop/mobile device will help you plan & show different options in real time, etc.

Metro-Amtrak/MARC transfer do involve minimal walking, easy enough for someone mobile & doing light/carry-on bag(s) only and BWI isn't a busy or big airport unlike O'Hare.

There's an even "cheaper" & slower option, (60 to 90 minutes via Amtrak/MARC) for maybe 2 hours via the "B30 bus" route that'll take you directly to BWI, via DCA Metro station out to Greenbelt, MD's train station by the B.W. Parkway. Maybe some of those Beltway flyers can speak to this routing and/or whether SuperShuttle is considered reliable & dependable enough.

Decades ago, when I was working/living in DC area, Washington Flyer has a scheduled bus/motor coach services for both IAD and BWI, wasn't expensive but it's been discontinued & no longer available.

Might be worth posting a question for the local on FlyerTalk's destination forum for DC area, with likely arrival time/day of the week - and see what they suggest.

There's an even "cheaper" & slower option, (60 to 90 minutes via Amtrak/MARC) for maybe 2 hours via the "B30 bus" route that'll take you directly to BWI, via DCA Metro station out to Greenbelt, MD's train station by the B.W. Parkway. Maybe some of those Beltway flyers can speak to this routing and/or whether SuperShuttle is considered reliable & dependable enough.

Might be worth posting a question for the local on FlyerTalk's destination forum for DC area, with likely arrival time/day of the week - and see what they suggest.

THanks for this information, too bad the shuttle bus no longer functions, I think that would have been ideal. C'est la vie *sigh*:(

Not to the cruise terminal, AFAIK - the Amtrak/MARC station is about 1 mile from the airline terminals, complimentary shuttle bus runnning every 12 to 25 minutes - and, of course, there are usually local taxi available. The nearest train station to the Baltimore cruise port is near BWI Airport, just off the B.W. Parkway.

I've not actually done this, but Google Maps says the closest Amtrak/MARC station is Baltimore Penn, in downtown Baltimore. Is BWI just easier to the cruise terminal? Because it sure doesn't look to be closest.

I've not actually done this, but Google Maps says the closest Amtrak/MARC station is Baltimore Penn, in downtown Baltimore. Is BWI just easier to the cruise terminal? Because it sure doesn't look to be closest.

It's not that bad...20ish minutes from either. I do it all the time, either BWI rail station or Baltimore Penn...depends where I stay. I usually Uber from my airport or Inner Harbor hotel after arriving via Amtrak.

Allow more time than you think...The NorthEast corridor has been he!! on wheels of late.