NY - What is the best/easiest airport

l2f

Honestly I never use car services in New York. I'm assuming you will use a credit card for your trip. I'm sure that the driver will add the tolls to the bill. The car services all have EZ passes to pay any tolls automatically. At certain times the tolls are reduced. You may also be charged tolls if the car has to return somewhere and pay a toll to get there (example: NY/NJ trips) There should be a line on the charge slip to add the tip or you can give it in cash. As said before, the tip expectation is 18-20% of the base rate.

Others will have to answer your question about contacting them by phone or by the APP.

Tolls are paid electronically and cost added to your total. Depending on traffic and how the driver chooses their route toll may be different.

Tips can be done cash or added. If using Dial7 type you can pay cash or pre-pay credit card or hand the driver a credit card as well. Pre-Pay add's the tip as well. I've never pre-paid.

I've done it both ways, call with or without a reservation or used the App. Called without a reservation when I was stood up by a friend was not a problem, maybe a slightly longer wait but there wasn't any special request just two people with standard luggage.

Thank you for your comments

Has anyone used Dial 7 or other car service from Red Hook in Brooklyn to EWR recently. I was wondering what the tolls would be for that trip. Last time we used Dial 7 from Red Hook to EWR the tolls were very high. Forget the amount right now.

We will be doing it again in a few months and will probably take Dial 7. Do they have to go across the Verrazano bridge as the driver did last time, or would the tolls be less by going back into Manhattan and then to NJ and EWR?

Thanks for any answers.

By the way, I believe that the drivers prefer that their tip be in cash rather than added to the bill. That is what our driver wished.

Has anyone used Dial 7 or other car service from Red Hook in Brooklyn to EWR recently. I was wondering what the tolls would be for that trip. Last time we used Dial 7 from Red Hook to EWR the tolls were very high. Forget the amount right now.

We will be doing it again in a few months and will probably take Dial 7. Do they have to go across the Verrazano bridge as the driver did last time, or would the tolls be less by going back into Manhattan and then to NJ and EWR?

Thanks for any answers.

By the way, I believe that the drivers prefer that their tip be in cash rather than added to the bill. That is what our driver wished.

How much is your time worth?

While Verrazano is double cost of the tunnel into Manhattan as round trip toll is collected one way. The time savings can be significant avoiding Manhattan.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

How much is your time worth?

While Verrazano is double cost of the tunnel into Manhattan as round trip toll is collected one way. The time savings can be significant avoiding Manhattan.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Totally agree! I put it into my google just to check and the suggested route was the Verrazano. 2nd and 3rd was Hugh Carey Tunnel with 30 and 40 minutes more. Especially for going to the airport it’s not worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

-Looks like we will go over bridge again.-

Gee don't knock my home boro, visit some time.

You do know how Staten Island got it's name?

Giovanni da Verrazzano was coming up the narrows and looked to his left and shouted out in in his italian accidented english "Is da-an-island"?

Edited by Brighton Line
spelling

Another, advantage, sometimes, using the VZ Bridge over SI, especially if sailing Brooklyn's Red Hook Pier, going over/from EWR (Newark Int'l A/P) is the HOV 3+ lane, now 24/7 ... perfect with driver and 2 or more riding along.

This past weekend, with the launch of the 3 years+ Lincoln Tunnel / Rt. 495 roadwork, the other 2 East River crossings were fairly congested - VZ Bridge was not much better at 10 am, Saturday morning & the Bayonne Bridge was closed, drivers squeezing to the Gothel Bridge. HOV 3+ save us easily 15 minutes pulling away from the SI side's cashless toll plaza, as we headed to the south shore for the Outerbridge crossing, heading down to the Jersey shores for the weekend.

We did this coming from N.E. Queens by Whitestone/Malba, normally not the best and fastest route, but Waze did not steer us "wrong" as the Bronx/Upper Manhattan crossing were just as bad, and extra traffic on the outbound GW Bridge to/from NJ.

While we recognized that many out-of-towners are not familiar with nor comfortable telling car service drivers how & where to go, launch that smartphone/iPhone app, whether it's Navigation, Google Maps or Waze, it serve as a useful "check" to confirm routing and ETA.

The SI - VZ Bridge toll rate is $17 cash, collected one-way leaving Brooklyn, the NJ into NY crossing toll is $15, collected coming into NY but is sometimes collected for a one-way trip going to the airport, as permitted under regulations. Tolls for the short distance on the NJ Turnpike isn't much. If & when traffic are bad, it's worth every extra dollars spent.