Please help me with Post Cruise NYC plans and Hotel

princessa

Hello,

I just booked the Residence Inn New Jersey (I can still cancel it) for after my cruise. Can anyone tell me if this is a good location if we plan on visiting NYC without a car?

We are a family of four and we would like to visit the Statue of Liberty, and not sure what else, any advice would be great. We may do a hop on hop off tour bus.

I am driving myself crazy trying to find a hotel that will work. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Nathalie

Make sure to book your tickets for the SOL way ahead of time if you want to go to the crown or pedestal (I recommend at least the pedestal). Personally, I like the jersey city waterfront area if you are planning on going downtown. Battery park to SOL/EI, 9/11 memorial, museum, observatory...

Hello,

I just booked the Residence Inn New Jersey (I can still cancel it) for after my cruise. Can anyone tell me if this is a good location if we plan on visiting NYC without a car?

We are a family of four and we would like to visit the Statue of Liberty, and not sure what else, any advice would be great. We may do a hop on hop off tour bus.

I am driving myself crazy trying to find a hotel that will work. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Nathalie

Did you book the Residence Inn on Christopher Columbus Drive in Jersey City? What exact dates will you be staying there? I'm booked there precruise for next Feb. It's right at the Grove St PATH station with direct access to both midtown and downtown.

Hello,

Thank you,

Nathalie

If you want to do something totally different and if you will be in Manhattan on a weekday you can get on a commuter bus that stops on Fifth Ave and 48 St .For $5 you can go to Manhattan Beach in Brooklyn spend some time there and then take a bus back for $5.I have recommended this to hundreds of people in the past.

Did you book the Residence Inn on Christopher Columbus Drive in Jersey City? What exact dates will you be staying there? I'm booked there precruise for next Feb. It's right at the Grove St PATH station with direct access to both midtown and downtown.

Yes that is the hotel. Is it a good location? This will be my first time using the path system transit, I am hoping I can figure it out. I will be there August 26 to 28.

Are you planning on visiting NYC?

Yes that is the hotel. Is it a good location? This will be my first time using the path system transit, I am hoping I can figure it out. I will be there August 26 to 28.

How late are you arriving on Aug 26? What do you want to do in NYC? Midtown PATH will be shut down on Sunday, but downtown PATH will be running.

I will come from Boston on the train in Feb and get off either in NYC or Newark depending on the weather. Don't know if I will run into NYC. Will take PATH, light rail, and cab to Cape Liberty.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s easy enough to take the Path but a hotel in NYC would be more convenient to be able to go back to the hotel and rest. But if the price is right, it’s fine.

It’s easy enough to take the Path but a hotel in NYC would be more convenient to be able to go back to the hotel and rest. But if the price is right, it’s fine.

The OP has made an excellent choice for 4 people. The hotel is new, the rooms are very large (almost 500 sq ft - probably bigger than their ship cabin), they offer 2 Queens (scarce in Manhattan), have a sitting area and full kitchen (big plus with kids), and free breakfast. The PATH station is right there. Even if PATH is not running to midtown on Sunday, they will get a free 2 trip NY subway Metro card at World Trade for each person to continue their journey elsewhere. The price for all this should be under $300 incl tax. Cape Liberty is a quick Uber ride away with no tunnel traffic and local street options, if necessary. I'm looking forward to checking it out in Feb.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with Jersey City being an outstanding location with fast cheap access to Manhattan.

Be aware that Statue of Liberty chews up a half a day or more if you also tour Ellis Island. And you need an advance reservation to go inside the statue. If you just want a good view, take a harbor boat tour, or for free get on the Staten Island Ferry and go round trip (Get off and back on at the other end.)

PATH to World Trade Center give you quick travel to Battery Park and the World Trade Center Memorial and museum. Learn how to buy an MTA card and load money for subway trips and you can be in midtown in 20 minutes. (PATH to 33rd street may or may not be operating on weekends... investigate)

The Hop on Hop off bus is great if you want the tour, but not great for transportation - it's slow.

What else do you want to see?

I can offer you walking tours of neighborhoods (Chelsea, Chinatown, etc) and Central Park. Many have hidden gems like the firehouse where Ghostbusters was based. The High Line park in Chelsea is cool in the evening. Circle Line boat tour all the way around Manhattan is great and shows you a lot. Empire State Building is wonderful in the evening with shorter lines and great views if the sky is clear. Great museums but take a lot of time. Food is wonderful... research best places based on food type and ratings, or best food by location/neighborhood.