Glory, May 12-19th...Trip Report with photos and videos!

ABQrobin

Sorry I have been delayed in getting started on the trip report. DH has had a crazy week back at work and hasn't been able to work on his photos yet. He promises me this weekend, so I will start now.

This is our 9th Carnival Cruise, and second time on the Glory. We only started cruising in 2014 due to DH having a surgery that kept us out of the water. We are both avid scuba divers and for past 18 years have only done land trips to scuba locations. Cruising was something we never ever considered...until his surgery made us rethink vacations altogether. To say the least, we took one cruise and were hooked. We still do the land-based trips now and then, but have found cruising to be the easiest way to visit places we have never been on a scuba trip, try new things, and just relax more.

GLORY --- May 12-19th, Eastern Caribbean

The itinerary = Miami, Sea Day, Grand Turk, San Juan, St Thomas, Amber Cove, Sea Day

We did this exact itinerary last year, on the Magic, in reverse order and decided we had to do it again, but bring our dive gear and see Grand Turk and St Thomas underwater...snorkeling wasn't good enough.

SO.....here goes! I take hundreds and hundreds of photos, as well as video. And I will try to be as honest as possible.

Friday, May 11th

We flew from Albuquerque NM to Ft Lauderdale, on Southwest and stayed at the Fairfield Inn, right by the airport. DH travels with his work so with our SW airline points, the flights and hotel were practically free. We arrived with no hitches, took the hotel shuttle, checked in, and hit the Wendy's right at the parking lot for salad dinners. Yeah, salads. We knew the week on the ship was going to be

fattening, so might as well have one last healthy meal for the week.

Saturday, May 12th

Up early, we ate the free breakfast at the hotel, then took the hotel shuttle back to the airport. There we took the Carnival shuttle to Miami port, and the Glory. The ship was sitting there, waiting for us....in the rain.

DSCF9603-XL.jpg

We had Faster-to-the-Fun for the first time... when we arrived at 9:45am (crazy early, no idea why the shuttle brought us there so early when they weren't even open yet), we gave our luggage to the porter, and then got in line outside the "Priority" line along with dozens of other people. And we waited, as it drizzled rain. Yuck. Not a great start to the day.

Finally, they opened the door and in we went. It took about 10 minutes to walk in, and have someone scan our boarding passes and send us directly to the FTTF seating area. No kidding, insanely fast. We got the the special area, and sat....and sat.... and sat. People started streaming in to the "regular passenger" area, and we still were sitting waiting. And waiting. Around 11am an announcement was made that they were going to start boarding at 11:30. We looked over and realized we saw some people starting up the stairs at the other end, must have been the Diamond and Platinum group. Wow. Right at 11:30 they announced FTTF to board. In 10 minutes we were onboard, heading to our room. Since we had FTTF we figured our room would be ready and we could drop off our carryon bags before heading to the Lido for lunch.

...and that is where things started to go sideways for us...

to be continued....

We had Faster-to-the-Fun for the first time... when we arrived at 9:45am (crazy early, no idea why the shuttle brought us there so early when they weren't even open yet), we gave our luggage to the porter, and then got in line outside the "Priority" line along with dozens of other people. And we waited, as it drizzled rain. Yuck. Not a great start to the day.

Finally, they opened the door and in we went. It took about 10 minutes to walk in, and have someone scan our boarding passes and send us directly to the FTTF seating area. No kidding, insanely fast. We got the the special area, and sat....and sat.... and sat. People started streaming in to the "regular passenger" area, and we still were sitting waiting. And waiting. Around 11am an announcement was made that they were going to start boarding at 11:30. We looked over and realized we saw some people starting up the stairs at the other end, must have been the Diamond and Platinum group. Wow. Right at 11:30 they announced FTTF to board. In 10 minutes we were onboard, heading to our room. Since we had FTTF we figured our room would be ready and we could drop off our carryon bags before heading to the Lido for lunch.

...and that is where things started to go sideways for us...

to be continued....

Yeah, I'd never pay for FTTF as I've heard many stories like yours where it's not worth it. You sit and sit and sit (where's the faster part?) and people that arrived hours after you and DIDN'T pay for the FTTF get in before you. Another rip-off money making thing for Carnival that helps them more than it helps you. My opinion.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd never pay for FTTF as I've heard many stories like yours where it's not worth it. You sit and sit and sit (where's the faster part?) and people that arrived hours after you and DIDN'T pay for the FTTF get in before you. Another rip-off money making thing for Carnival that helps them more than it helps you. My opinion.

Well, not sure I agree with you. The FTTF did get us onto the boat before those without it, and our luggage was delivered quicker than normal, we got to use the "Priority" line at Guest Services, and we got to get off the ship on debark day with the first group. Our issues with our room are coming in the next post....

No one that arrives later than you boards first unless they're diamond, platinum or a wedding party. But you already knew that.

Trip Report continues....

We had booked an OceanView room for the first time for this cruise. Deck 2 would be easy on and off at ports for us with the dive gear, and the rooms looked spacious enough. We didn't have a balcony for drying gear after the dives, which we had second thought about ...

We walked down the hall, to room 2405.... and the door was propped open. Uhhh oohhh.

We opened the door to see this...

DSCF9658-XL.jpg

This didn't look good.... why were there fans blowing in our room???

We turned and walked down the hall in search of any room steward. I found one, asked what was going on with our room, and she replied "Oh, you must mean 2405". Not good. She then said, she would find the floor manager to talk to us. Double not good.

We walked back to the room, and waited....

The floor manager arrived and told us there had been a small water leak discovered in our room and one other, and that it had been fixed and the fans were just to dry out the carpet so it didn't smell. Okay, that works. She said to go on to lunch, and it would be good when we got back.

Off we went to the Lido for lunch.

I grabbed salad bar food, he grabbed Guys burger.

20180512_115741-XL.jpg

DSCF9608-XL.jpg

After eating, we decided to walk around on the top decks, take photos of Miami, and make Mother's day phone calls (we would be at sea tomorrow so a call today).

DSCF9618-XL.jpg

DSCF9622-XL.jpg

DSCF9626-XL.jpg

Afterwards, we went back down to the room.... no change, fans still blowing.

And then we noticed it...the sound of dripping water! The wall had water dripping down it, and bouncing off the furniture and floor. Fixed? Not hardly. We called Housekeeping and asked for the Floor Manager to return. And waited..... and waited. Called again, no answer. Called Guest Services....no answer. This went on for over an hour....and finally the Floor Manager returned.

She told us this time that the head of Guest Services was coming soon to talk to us... so once again we waited.

to be continued.....

The Muster Drill was announced, so we went to that and hoped to get a resolution soon afterwards. The Head of Guest Services arrived. She said that they didn't get the leak fixed obviously and needed to move us but they didn't have another room available until now. They had a no show for the cruise, all rooms had been booked, but there was a room on Deck 1 available. Geez. They grabbed all our luggage, off we went to the new room, and she went to make our new room S&S cards. By the time all our luggage arrived at the new room, our room keys were given to us.

The ship started to pull away from the dock and off we went...

We immediately started to unpack, and try to forget the whole day up to this point.

Announcement --- pouring rain outside, so Sailaway party was to be held in Lobby. Wow. That's unique.

Our dinner assignment was Early Dining, 6pm, and so we dressed and headed up.

We were seated at our table, met the table mates, and then.....

Announcement --- there has been a Medical Emergency and we need to return to Miami. We wouldn't be docking but Coast Guard would meet us there.

Geez..... this day will never END.

....to be continued....

We had booked an OceanView room for the first time for this cruise. Deck 2 would be easy on and off at ports for us with the dive gear, and the rooms looked spacious enough. We didn't have a balcony for drying gear after the dives, which we had second thought about ...

We walked down the hall, to room 2405.... and the door was propped open. Uhhh oohhh.

DSCF9658-XL.jpg

We turned and walked down the hall in search of any room steward. I found one, asked what was going on with our room, and she replied "Oh, you must mean 2405". Not good. She then said, she would find the floor manager to talk to us. Double not good.

We walked back to the room, and waited....

The floor manager arrived and told us there had been a small water leak discovered in our room and one other, and that it had been fixed and the fans were just to dry out the carpet so it didn't smell. Okay, that works. She said to go on to lunch, and it would be good when we got back.

Off we went to the Lido for lunch.

I grabbed salad bar food, he grabbed Guys burger.

20180512_115741-XL.jpg

DSCF9608-XL.jpg

After eating, we decided to walk around on the top decks, take photos of Miami, and make Mother's day phone calls (we would be at sea tomorrow so a call today).

DSCF9618-XL.jpg

DSCF9622-XL.jpg

DSCF9626-XL.jpg

Afterwards, we went back down to the room.... no change, fans still blowing.

And then we noticed it...the sound of dripping water! The wall had water dripping down it, and bouncing off the furniture and floor. Fixed? Not hardly. We called Housekeeping and asked for the Floor Manager to return. And waited..... and waited. Called again, no answer. Called Guest Services....no answer. This went on for over an hour....and finally the Floor Manager returned.

She told us this time that the head of Guest Services was coming soon to talk to us... so once again we waited.

to be continued.....

That's interesting, we were on Deck 7 Aft and our neighbors said they had water dripping from their sprinklers the WHOLE cruise. They came to fix it several times but never really got it fixed.

Just curious, did you call the dedicated guest services number for FTTF? We were on Glory the week after you were and the FTTF guest services number never went unanswered.

Yes, but it was Embarkation day and they were swamped. It all got resolved.

That's interesting, we were on Deck 7 Aft and our neighbors said they had water dripping from their sprinklers the WHOLE cruise. They came to fix it several times but never really got it fixed.

Actually, that first room's sprinkler dripped for about 10 seconds while we were waiting in that room. We asked the Floor Manager about it and she said that they had just tested the sprinkler system (pressure through the lines only) and it causes water to drip a little bit from some room sprinklers, it has nothing to do with the drip in our room.

Trip Report continued.....

So we sat at dinner watching the ocean as we returned to Miami, then finally the ship stopped and a boat was seen leaving, and we began to pick up steam again. Announcement --- Medical evac was a success and we were under way again headed for Grand Turk, no change in port times expected. Yeah.

After dinner, we walked around more and took photos, then went to the Piano Bar for an hour.

Piano Bar with Pete

20180512_210545-XL.jpg

20180512_220403-XL.jpg

We both had the swordfish (Port of Call main course) and it was fantastic. I love fish and this was really well cooked and sides were good, too.

20180512_184941-XL.jpg

The Platinum dining room

20180513_175810-XL.jpg

After walking around on the decks for awhile, and the Piano Bar, we were pooped, so we headed down to Deck 1 for the night.

Fingers crossed for things turning around for this cruise!

....to be continued....

Since they had a no show and 1 cabin was available I wonder what would have happened if that person didn’t cancel and you couldn’t move. Glad it worked out.

We sailed on the glory with our kids in 2010 really enjoyed it

Yeah, we were wondering the same thing. No way we were staying in that room.... I will have more details about it as the Trip Report goes along. We have been on 9 cruises and this was the first time we have ever had a complaint about anything. I would have blown a gasket if they said they couldn't move us....it would not have been pretty.

Hello ABQRobin,

I’m following your review. Looking forward to your perspective on the ship, and itinerary, and viewing your photos.

Your wit, has me hooked 😳

I’m doing a B2B, January 2019. An Eastern and Western itinerary.

Looks like you “ weathered” your first day!!!

Brian

They got to port very early, before port was even open. Carnival actually started boarding ship by 11, they were boarding by FTTF. that is pretty normal. Does take time to get preceeding passengers off the ship beofre they can start putting more on!!

Pat

DSCF9658-XL.jpg

Is there a second outlet somewhere in the vicinity of the bed that I don't know about? I see one dryer plugged in at the vanity, but where is the second one plugged in?

Is there a second outlet somewhere in the vicinity of the bed that I don't know about? I see one dryer plugged in at the vanity, but where is the second one plugged in?

It was plugged in out in the hallway.

SUNDAY, May 13th, Mother's Day!

We got up early, 6am, and DH headed up to the gym. I went to walk around a bit, get some Fitbit steps in, and met him back at the room to shower for breakfast. We headed up to the Lido buffet for breakfast, our usual routine, and got omelettes and fruit. Yumm. I love having fresh fruit at breakfast.

After all the insanity of the Embarkation day, we were looking forward to a C-A-L-M day at Sea!!!

It was still drizzly rain outside, and seas seemed a bit rough all morning. We proceeded to walk the decks and take photos of everything.

The GLORY is a ship who's decor was designed by Farcus, the very wild and wonderful artist...some love him, some hate him. We are on the love side.... The theme of this ship is "Colors", so every room had a Color name and design.

Starting with the Lido Buffet....the Red Sail

DSCF9681-XL.jpg

DSCF9682-XL.jpg

Artwork in the stairwells all echoed the Colors theme

DSCF9689-XL.jpg

DSCF9717-XL.jpg

DSCF9718-XL.jpg