Carnival Glory Fire

Hello World,

Currently Im on the Carnival Glory. It was an exciting morning! We just got internet back so I figure I'd start the thread.

Sea Day 1

8:57 AM - Still asleep from last night's partying. Hear the captain come across the PA saying we lost power. Do not use elevators. Use handrails on stairs.

9:05 AM - Emergency Call for crew. Sounded like fire call.

9:10 AM Start to smell smoke in my cabin.

After this the times get fuzzy and they may not be 100% accurate.

Another PA calls regarding injury for crew to respond.

Power is now restored but keeps going in and out.

I turned on my walkie talkie (which also does VHF) I hear "Carnival Glory to all ships: We lost power and propulsion, stay away"

Thats when I said to my GF, use the bathroom and put on clothes, muster is coming soon.

Few minutes later power and propulsion were restored. Captain said there is no safety issue. We are now at 6 pm and we enjoyed the fun day at sea. However Im not going to lie this was a little scary for us. Luckily we could see the coast of Cuba should things have gone very south. Weather was beautiful.

Hello World,

Currently Im on the Carnival Glory. It was an exciting morning! We just got internet back so I figure I'd start the thread.

Sea Day 1

8:57 AM - Still asleep from last night's partying. Hear the captain come across the PA saying we lost power. Do not use elevators. Use handrails on stairs.

9:05 AM - Emergency Call for crew. Sounded like fire call.

9:10 AM Start to smell smoke in my cabin.

After this the times get fuzzy and they may not be 100% accurate.

Another PA calls regarding injury for crew to respond.

Power is now restored but keeps going in and out.

I turned on my walkie talkie (which also does VHF) I hear "Carnival Glory to all ships: We lost power and propulsion, stay away"

Thats when I said to my GF, use the bathroom and put on clothes, muster is coming soon.

Few minutes later power and propulsion were restored. Captain said there is no safety issue. We are now at 6 pm and we enjoyed the fun day at sea. However Im not going to lie this was a little scary for us. Luckily we could see the coast of Cuba should things have gone very south. Weather was beautiful.

OMG, I'm glad you're okay !!! What a terrible experience, I hope the rest of the cruise goes okay for you.

Sounds familiar like my time on the Splendor when there was a fire in the engine room; however, it didn’t end as well as your Cruise. Glad all is okay. Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As for the radio message, that is a standard, required message when the ship is "not under command" (when it has no means of propulsion (ship blacked out)). The ship is required to show a specific set of red lights on the mast for this occurrence, but since this was during daylight, those are not always the most visible, so the VHF channel 16 announcement is made. During the day, they hoist some shapes up the mast for "not under command", but they may not have had those ready and up yet.

So I browse most sub forums on cruise critic, at least the mainstream ones. Why does it seem like fires, powerloss ave propulsion issues seem to happen to Carnival more often? Because it’s reported more here or because it does happen to them more often?

So I browse most sub forums on cruise critic, at least the mainstream ones. Why does it seem like fires, powerloss ave propulsion issues seem to happen to Carnival more often? Because it’s reported more here or because it does happen to them more often?

Perhaps because they have more ships than other lines? RCI's Vision of the Seas just had a similar blackout off Greece this week.

We lost power and propulsion in April on Glory on the way back to Miami. I posted about it in my review. It happened at least one other time the April before too. I had a friend on that cruise. Not sure what’s going on with the ship but it wouldn’t stop me from cruising. I’m all for getting stuck at sea and maybe some $$ off the next one if it was long enough [emoji846].

Perhaps because they have more ships than other lines? RCI's Vision of the Seas just had a similar blackout off Greece this week.

Is that the ship that tilted 45 degrees and someone almost fell off the ship ?

Is that the ship that tilted 45 degrees and someone almost fell off the ship ?

Didn't see that about this Vision incident. All I saw was that the ship quietly lost power at night, and it was restored within an hour. There have been instances that I have heard of where Princess and NCL ships have taken a severe "turn induced heel" due to steering problems (either mechanical failure or brain fart), and there are probably others that I don't recall.

We lost power and propulsion in April on Glory on the way back to Miami. I posted about it in my review. It happened at least one other time the April before too. I had a friend on that cruise. Not sure what’s going on with the ship but it wouldn’t stop me from cruising. I’m all for getting stuck at sea and maybe some $$ off the next one if it was long enough [emoji846].

Glory is due for drydock this year, so the main power circuit breakers should be serviced then (done every 5 years), but repetitive failures/trips like this could be a manufacturing problem with a particular run of breakers.

Glory is due for drydock this year, so the main power circuit breakers should be serviced then (done every 5 years), but repetitive failures/trips like this could be a manufacturing problem with a particular run of breakers.

Again? It just went last year when she got Waterworks.

Again? It just went last year when she got Waterworks.

I was just working off the delivery date and the statutory intervals. But now that she has turned 15, it will be every 2.5 years. When was it last year, and how long?

CCL has many more ships at sea than any other line so it would make more sense to look at percentage of problems with an overall fleet rather than raw data.

CCL has many more ships at sea than any other line so it would make more sense to look at percentage of problems with an overall fleet rather than raw data.

So Carnival currently has 26 active ships, Royal 25, NCL 17. It's certainly high on CCL. Again maybe just because it's reported more often. I dunno. It doesn't deter me from sailing Carnival but it's interesting to say the least.

So Carnival currently has 26 active ships, Royal 25, NCL 17. It's certainly high on CCL. Again maybe just because it's reported more often. I dunno. It doesn't deter me from sailing Carnival but it's interesting to say the least.

You hear more about Carnival ships mostly because out of the fleet of 26 ships over 85% of them are sailing from North American ports. RCI and NCL has their fleet spread out more worldwide that anywhere from 40-60% of their ships call a North American city their homeport.

Good idea saying use bathroom and get dressed. Would have been HOT losing AC!!

Must have been interesting since you are apparently a firefighter...

I agree with this post.

Since you are most likely a fire fighter, firfightergreg, I’m sure this is why you didn’t panic. I would have been freaking out! The last thing I would have thought about was to use the bathroom, but what a practical necessary thing to do.

I wonder where that smoke smell was coming from?