Help with flight times leaving Fort Lauderdale disembarkation out of Miami the Glory

uirie

Fellow cruisers I am planning on doing self assist Platinum in Miami and want to book a 11:20 Southwest flight out of Fort Lauderdale. Is this crazy? The next flight isn't until 5. What was the earliest people have made it to Fort Lauderdale when docking in Miami.

I think you're taking a big chance. You never know what time the ship will dock, or when they'll start debarkation. It takes a while to get to FTL. What if you miss your flight & there aren't any seats on the 5:00?

We did the same thing when we sailed on the Glory in April. We had a 12:05pm flight out of FLL. We did the self disembark (this was our first Carnival cruise so we didn't have priority getting off the ship).

We got to FLL so early that we were able to fly standby on the 10:15am flight (granted we had no bags to check).

It's definitely do-able. The only risk is if the ship comes in late.

We sailed Glory in April out of Miami and when we got back so many people did the self disembark early they overwhelmed the customs lines immediately and they shut down further disembarkation for an hour. By the time they reopened the disembark line it was wrapped around the atrium and elevators and through the sky walkway. It was 10am by the time we got out to our shuttle to take us to FLL airport. lucky our flight wasn't till 2:20 pm on Southwest. But knowing how many southwest flights leave out of FLL everyday you should have MANY choices of flights to get home whether it be non-stop or connecting flights. FLL to Denver I had the choice of 13 different flight choices for that day and chose a later flight so we didn't have to hurry and possibly miss a flight. Things happen.

BTW, MJS transportation shuttles from Port of Miami to FLL use the Port of Miami tunnel out to the HOV lanes to get to FLL and they get to the airport pretty quick.

It's doable, but a bit risky & I wouldn't recommend it for worriers like me. I've had too many experiences with delays or long lines.

That said, we were on Vista in March. We did not rush off the ship or have any priority debark status. It was still the easiest debark I've ever had & we were in out Lyft at 9:19am per my app. We arrived at FLL a little after 10am. Plenty of waiting around for my 1pm flight. If all goes smoothly, you'll be okay.

Fellow cruisers I am planning on doing self assist Platinum in Miami and want to book a 11:20 Southwest flight out of Fort Lauderdale. Is this crazy? The next flight isn't until 5. What was the earliest people have made it to Fort Lauderdale when docking in Miami.

Flying out of Miami, I'd say no problem. I'd look for an early afternoon flight. Take your time off the ship.

No problem making it.

I just recently saw a post about a cruiser that wanted to know if a 9:30 am flight was ok. He got roasted! I mean everyone told him he couldn’t make it. He did! He did self assist debarkation where they walked off with their luggage themselves. They also informed Carnival of the early flight so Carnival worked with them to get them called to disembark early. You could probably find the thread because it was in the last couple of months.

That being said, I would never do 9:30 am. Would I do 11:20? Absolutely! Carnival recommends 12:00 pm or later so you’re pretty close to their recommended time. I would hate leaving at 5 pm and getting home late with work the next day. Especially if you have a long drive to get home from the airport. I think it’s doable. Doing self assist is a good idea, it will help a lot. That way you don’t have to wait around for luggage or dig through tons of suitcases sitting out over all of the luggage area.

We are cruising out of Miami but flying out of Fort Lauderdale on our Vista cruise this September. Our flight is at 12:15 pm. I’ll let you know how it goes if our cruise is before yours. But we’re not worried.

I was just on the Glory 2 weeks ago...we were lucky that the ship docked an hour early. We had FTTF, but you could also get an early debark number if you tell them you have an early flight. That is how they do it now.

We were outside the terminal boarding the Carnival shuttle to FLL so fast it was amazing. Our flight wasn't until 2pm, so we got there waaaaay early, too early to even check in. Traffic was heavy (Saturday's Miami) but I would say it took 45 minutes door to door.

IF you have TSA Precheck, you go through Security in 5 minutes, if you don't it will be at least 15-20 minutes, but that is it.

I wouldn't have a problem with 11:20am flight... as long as I take ALL my bags off myself, get a shuttle or car pickup asap, and have TSA precheck.

robin

If you think you'll end up taking the evening flight, the Rodeway Inn & Suites in Ft. Lauderdale has day rooms available. Not sure of the rate, so you'd have to call. We stayed there for a couple nights two years ago and are staying again overnight on Friday. A couple members of my wife's family who cruised with us last time used a day room when we got back since their flight wasn't until later. It's a pretty nice hotel.

Yes, you will make this flight easily. Be on the line for self assist first thing in the morning. I made a 9:55AM flight from FLL last summer debarking Vista on a Sunday in Miami and still had an hour wait at the gate.

We did the same thing when we sailed on the Glory in April. We had a 12:05pm flight out of FLL. We did the self disembark (this was our first Carnival cruise so we didn't have priority getting off the ship).

We got to FLL so early that we were able to fly standby on the 10:15am flight (granted we had no bags to check).

It's definitely do-able. The only risk is if the ship comes in late.

Hmmmm....ship coming in late, not the only "risk". Three times we've been delayed between POM and FLL. Once took over 90 minutes from FLL to downtown Miami hotel, due to an accident on 95, but, that was day before cruise. But twice from POM to FLL we were delayed getting to the airport. Once, again was due to a traffic/accident on 95. Another time the motor coach we were in broke down. But, for those 2 times we had later flights so no impact on making the flight. So do-able, absolutely, but as others said, need a Plan B just in case.

However that said, we recently made an 11:35am flight out of Orlando after getting off the Sunshine at Port Canaveral. Pretty sure distance between Canaveral and MCO longer than FLL and POM, but made it pretty easily..ship got in on time...self debark was a breeze, Uber to airport....no problem!! But no Plan B!!

Absolutely do-able! We flew into and out of FLL on Southwest last summer for our NCL Escape cruise.

Pro-tip: if you have time between now and your cruise, get TSA Pre-Check. You'll breeze through security. So worth the $85!

we book the 11:30 flight out of FLL all the time. (even when cruising out of MIA)

self assist is the only way to go.

have a car service ready and waiting. Be off and on your way by 8am. Beat the huge cruise crowds too

Thank you so much for taking the time and providing really good information. Appreciate it.

You’re welcome! :) Just another tip. We always use Jiffy Jeff or SAS to take us from the Miami cruise pier to the Fort Lauderdale airport. We use them to take us from our Fort Lauderdale hotel (we always stay at a hotel the night before our cruise) to the pier on the day of our cruise too. They are usually around $15 pp each way (half of what Carnival charges) and they’re very punctual. They will contact you asking you when you’re coming off of the ship and give you their exact location. Not only do they keep in constant contact with you but they have a nice big air conditioned van to relax in for the trip. It takes all of the stress out of all of the driving we have to do when flying out of Fort Lauderdale but sailing out of Miami. ;)