Currency Conversion

knittinggirl

Anybody have any luck w/ currency conversion in the Montreal Airport?

I want to convert New Zealand Dollars to CAD, and I was hoping that I wouldn't have to pay to convert them to NZD to US, and USD to CAD like they'd do in the US.

Of course the US-based services give rates for 'other currency to US' and 'US to other currency' - USD is their official domestic currency! We do the same but with CAD, so you'll have no problems getting CAD for NZD (every country I've ever traveled to you can expect all rates to be in 'other to domestic' and 'domestic to other' format).

You should be able to swap NZD, or any of a dozen or more popular world currencies, directly into CAD at Montreal airport or any bank or exchange office anywhere in the city - you definitely shouldn't exchange at the airport unless you have no other alternative, as rates are jacked up precisely because it's the first place you see when arriving and last chance when departing, so they prey on your ignorance/desperation to make more profit. This is a good travel rule of thumb anywhere you go, that airports give the worst exchange rates.

Just pay for your taxi with a credit card to get downtown, and ask your hotel where the nearest bank or exchange is, and swap whatever funds you need to at a better rate. Perhaps a Montreal local is aware of a particular exchange that gives better rates than others and could advise?