excursions and beach timing

styme123

I'm trying to plan my 2 1/2 days in Bermuda while on a NCL cruise in 2 weeks. We will be in port Wed at 8:00am till Fri 2:00. The 2 excursions I know I want to do for sure are the Helmet Diving and Jet ski rentals. I want to try and fit in 2 beach visits ( possibly, Somerset, Elbow, HSB, Jobson Cove, Achiles Bay) and try some snorkeling and the Harbor night festival. There are a bunch of other things I'd like to do as well but I'm not sure how much I can fit in. I was thinking day one Helmet diving 9:30am (lasts 3-4 hrs) back to ship for lunch then a beach visit, back to ship then Harbor nights. Day two, Jet ski rental 8:30 (last about 1 1/2 hr) then beach visit. Last day walking around dockyard to see the shops, glass works and rum cake shop. What do you guys think doable? Could I add more? Should I go to the beaches first in the morning and then the excursions later so they aren't as crowded and the sun not as strong?

Of the beaches you have listed (Somerset Long Bay Beach, Elbow, HSB, Jobson Cove, Achiles Bay) only HSB has full amenities. If amenities are a requirement for you, then your beach visit is restricted to HSB. Achilles Bay is at the east end of the island. You and the cruise ship are at the west end of the island. The fastest way to get to AB is the ferry to St George's, 45-50 minute travel time, and a quick taxi ride to AB. If you go to AB, the ferry to SG only makes 4 round trips per day, Mon, Wed, & Thurs, less on Tues & Fri.

Jobson's Cove and HSB are in walking distance from each other.In fact, there are 5 beaches that are connected by the beach path. The 5 beaches (NE to SW) are Warwick Long Bay, Jobson's Bay, Stonehole Bay, Chaplin Bay, & HSB.

How long will the beach visits be?

I would do the excursions in the mornings which will leave the rest of the day to do other things. Unless you have a compelling reason, I would not do AB, too much travel time involved. What are some of the other things you wanted to do? Is cliff jumping/diving on the short list?

SBtS

Of the beaches you have listed (Somerset Long Bay Beach, Elbow, HSB, Jobson Cove, Achiles Bay) only HSB has full amenities. If amenities are a requirement for you, then your beach visit is restricted to HSB. Achilles Bay is at the east end of the island. You and the cruise ship are at the west end of the island. The fastest way to get to AB is the ferry to St George's, 45-50 minute travel time, and a quick taxi ride to AB. If you go to AB, the ferry to SG only makes 4 round trips per day, Mon, Wed, & Thurs, less on Tues & Fri.

Jobson's Cove and HSB are in walking distance from each other.In fact, there are 5 beaches that are connected by the beach path. The 5 beaches (NE to SW) are Warwick Long Bay, Jobson's Bay, Stonehole Bay, Chaplin Bay, & HSB.

How long will the beach visits be?

I would do the excursions in the mornings which will leave the rest of the day to do other things. Unless you have a compelling reason, I would not do AB, too much travel time involved. What are some of the other things you wanted to do? Is cliff jumping/diving on the short list?

SBtS

I was contemplating doing the beaches in the morning hours as to avoid being at the beaches during the hottest part of the day around 1:00-2:00. and thinking the crowds are worse then as well. On the other hand I do like the idea of doing the excursions first and having the rest of the day to not have any time constraints to worry about getting to. After looking (I mean obsessing;)) over the beaches I think I might just need to focus on the ones on the south shore. I think your right AB might be too far. I was leaning toward HSB I think because of the umbrella/chair rentals. I fry in the sun so that's a big concern to me if I'm going to be out for hours at a beach. I can sit on a towel but having some place shaded to sit is important. I like your idea also of being able to walk the paths to the other beaches. I'm not sure which direction/beach is better to start with. WLB to HSB or HSB to WLB. I was thinking maybe start with HSB as it would be busier later in the day or the rentals might be sold out, but then again it has the minivans to leave from at the end of the day. I'm not sure about minivan availability at WLB.

I wanted to try snorkeling so maybe I would try Church or Somerset Long on a different day. I bought my own snorkel set so I don't have to worry about that but having some cover from the sun is a worry if I try these others. Thank you for your input it's very helpful.

Use the highest SPF sunscreen available and apply it often. Wear a long sleeved rash guard especially when you are snorkeling or in the water and wear a hat.

You could take the minibus to Horseshoe Bay and set up your chairs and umbrella close to the path to the other small coves. When you are ready to explore the coves, leave a towel, book or some other non valuable item on the chairs (so no one else uses them) and go for a walk down to the other coves toward Warwick Long Bay. Again make sure you are covered up and wearing your sunscreen. I also read to wear water shoes or sandals for the walk.

Edited by blueridgemama

I was contemplating doing the beaches in the morning hours as to avoid being at the beaches during the hottest part of the day around 1:00-2:00. and thinking the crowds are worse then as well. On the other hand I do like the idea of doing the excursions first and having the rest of the day to not have any time constraints to worry about getting to. After looking (I mean obsessing;)) over the beaches I think I might just need to focus on the ones on the south shore. I think your right AB might be too far. I was leaning toward HSB I think because of the umbrella/chair rentals. I fry in the sun so that's a big concern to me if I'm going to be out for hours at a beach. I can sit on a towel but having some place shaded to sit is important. I like your idea also of being able to walk the paths to the other beaches. I'm not sure which direction/beach is better to start with. WLB to HSB or HSB to WLB. I was thinking maybe start with HSB as it would be busier later in the day or the rentals might be sold out, but then again it has the minivans to leave from at the end of the day. I'm not sure about minivan availability at WLB.

I wanted to try snorkeling so maybe I would try Church or Somerset Long on a different day. I bought my own snorkel set so I don't have to worry about that but having some cover from the sun is a worry if I try these others. Thank you for your input it's very helpful.

It is better to do the beaches in the morning hours. Doing the beach walk I prefer to walk form Warwick Long Bay to Horseshoe as it is easier to get back from Horseshoe than Warwick but either direction is fine. Take some water with you. The concession at Horseshoe has writtten that they have enough chairs and umbrellas this year and won't run out. Be advised that if it is a windy day that they won't rent umbrellas at Horseshoe.

The last two TripAdvisor reviews of Somerset Long Bay indicate the beach is full of broken glass.

Church Bay can have rough surf and rip tides. Out of three times I went there, two of those times I decided it was too dangerous to snorkel. Probably not the best place to try snorkeling if you are not experienced. Since you have indicated in another thread that you have not snorkeled before I again recommend that you take the ferry to St.George's and go to Tobacco Bay. Also you can snorkel at the Snorkel Park at the Dockyard. Snorkel Park is man made and not the best beach but to try snorkeling it is probably fine.

Edited by Charles4515

Use the highest SPF sunscreen available and apply it often. Wear a long sleeved rash guard especially when you are snorkeling or in the water and wear a hat.

That is me 😀 I wear a large brimmed Tilly Hat at the beach and a long sleeved rash shirt when snorkeling. Those and sunscreen are good to bring even with umbrella rentals as if the day is windy they won't rent umbrellas because they can blow away. Last week a woman was impaled by one here in Maryland that blew away. 😱

Since you have indicated in another thread that you have not snorkeled before I again recommend that you take the ferry to St.George's and go to Tobacco Bay. I thought about Tobacco Bay but when I was reading through many of the TripAdvisor reviews they mentioned how small it was, crowded, and load music.

I thought about Tobacco Bay but when I was reading through many of the TripAdvisor reviews they mentioned how small it was, crowded, and load music.

Something to keep in mind about going to TB, you would be in walking distance of AB. Here's a Google image of TB. You are right, it is small & can get crowded.

04ba1127_original.jpg?aki_policy=large

SBtS

I thought about Tobacco Bay but when I was reading through many of the TripAdvisor reviews they mentioned how small it was, crowded, and load music.

Depends when you get there. Early it is not too bad. Also no need to spend hours there. I don’t even rent a chair. Going snorkeling where there are no other people when you have never done it is not the best idea. St. George’s is a World Heritage Site so combine an hour or so snorkeling with walking the town.

Another place to practice snorkeling is the baby cove at Horseshoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something to keep in mind about going to TB, you would be in walking distance of AB. Here's a Google image of TB. You are right, it is small & can get crowded.

04ba1127_original.jpg?aki_policy=large

SBtS

There is also Fort St. Catherine which is worth a visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could take the minibus to Horseshoe Bay and set up your chairs and umbrella close to the path to the other small coves. When you are ready to explore the coves, leave a towel, book or some other non valuable item on the chairs (so no one else uses them) and go for a walk down to the other coves toward Warwick Long Bay. Again make sure you are covered up and wearing your sunscreen. I also read to wear water shoes or sandals for the walk.

What time should I plan to try and leave the beach by to insure a minivan ride back to the ship?

I think I'm ended up leaning toward this itinerary but still undecided.

Wed Helmet dive 9:00-1:00, lunch back on boat, clean up, Ferry over to Hamilton about 2:30, Harbor nights

Thus: Jet ski, around 10:00 head over to Warwick Long Bay, then walk the other beaches to HSB during the day. till about 4:00

Fri:(This part I'm not sure about) Ferry to St Georges. not sure if I would go to the beach or just look around the town, ferry leaves at 1:15. If I went to the beach I think I would go to Gate's Bay or Coopers. It sometimes makes me nervous to be so far from the ship on the last day. The other option might be to just stay more local and go to the shops in Dockyard on the last day. Is St Georges an area not to be missed?

What time should I plan to try and leave the beach by to insure a minivan ride back to the ship?

I don't know when the last shuttle/minibus leaves from HB Ask the driver in the morning when his last run leaves. If you miss the minibus you could take the bus (you would need a token) or take a taxi as a last resort.

I don't know when the last shuttle/minibus leaves from HB Ask the driver in the morning when his last run leaves. If you miss the minibus you could take the bus (you would need a token) or take a taxi as a last resort.

The minibus drivers have told me the last runs are between 5 and 5:30. I never stayed that late to test it out. That is when the concessions and chair rental closes so makes sense.

Edited by Charles4515

I think I'm ended up leaning toward this itinerary but still undecided.

Wed Helmet dive 9:00-1:00, lunch back on boat, clean up, Ferry over to Hamilton about 2:30, Harbor nights

Thus: Jet ski, around 10:00 head over to Warwick Long Bay, then walk the other beaches to HSB during the day. till about 4:00

Fri:(This part I'm not sure about) Ferry to St Georges. not sure if I would go to the beach or just look around the town, ferry leaves at 1:15. If I went to the beach I think I would go to Gate's Bay or Coopers. It sometimes makes me nervous to be so far from the ship on the last day. The other option might be to just stay more local and go to the shops in Dockyard on the last day. Is St Georges an area not to be missed?

St. George's is worth visiting just to look around town and skipping the beach. Going to the beach there the last day I would not do unless it was Tobacco Bay. Gates Bay, (St Catherines beach) or Coopers, there is a good possibility you won't find return transportation to the ferry readily available.