a new ship for the Galapagos Islands.

Ox Fan Cruiser

Galapagos and MACHU PICCHU, PERU. OMG!!!! Both are on my bucket list.

Both of these places are on my bucket list but wow the prices are HUGE!!!!

This sounds great. We have been wanting to do the Galapagos and this might be the very ship. No it's not for everyone, but I don't understand the "mega yuppies" comment. The ship sounds lovely and the small size makes me happy.

The ship looks wonderful but the prices are extremely high. The lowest sky suite cabin for the inaugural on the 10 day package is $18,631 per person, September 22, 2019 is $14,011 per person, and the December price is identical.

They are definitely aiming for a different target market on the pricing. The pricing on the Xpedition through its remaining 10 day package itineraries are significantly lower for the Xpedition Suite or Penthouse Suite categories in 2018 on similar dates.

The ship looks wonderful but the prices are extremely high. The lowest sky suite cabin for the inaugural on the 10 day package is $18,631 per person, September 22, 2019 is $14,011 per person, and the December price is identical.

They are definitely aiming for a different target market on the pricing. The pricing on the Xpedition through its remaining 10 day package itineraries are significantly lower for the Xpedition Suite or Penthouse Suite categories in 2018 on similar dates.

How many days is the total cruise at that price? We did a 68 day on HAL's Prinsendam in Jan. 2013 in an outside cabin to SA & Antarctica (Outsides have large windows but No balcony) ..The fare in an Outside cabin was just under $17,000 each for the 68 days but that did not include tours in ports...We saved up for it & used some of our IRA monies to pay for it..We also sold our big house & moved into a condo..That was a trip of a lifetime for us..We would love to go again someday but don't think it is possible..:( That was one trip we can never forget!..:cool:

We're not "mega yuppies" either! Some of our Friends have much more to spend than we do..However, we're older folks who know what it is to save for something which was iimportant to us!

Edited by serendipity1499

We recently sailed on the Expedition and had a non-balcony cabin. We debated paying the difference when a balcony became available, but really have no regrets with our cabin. Everyone spends all day everyday on the excursions, so there is very little time to enjoy your balcony. The only thing it was really useful for was a place to let your shoes dry. Pretty steep price for that.

This looks like a beautiful ship, however, I did not even bother

to look at the prices and now I know why.

It does appear that Celebrity is seeking a new market.

Wealthy Baby Boomers would be one.

Actually the price is not too bad - you can get a regular cabin (it is really not ALL suite ship) for $4500. However, the original Celebrity ships included a night in Quite before and after the cruise and also the plane flight to the Galapagos. This one includes neither. I do agree that the reason you do the Galapagos is for the on shore experiences and not for fancy cabins, free booze and gourmet food. At least that is why we went. We originally booked on one of the Celebrity ships but transferred to another cruise at a better price that provided us w a wonderful 10 day experience.

DON

Important Celebrity email announcement = YAWN :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Agreed..they felt the need to draft two emails for that!!

And I'm a suite brat!!

Seems like celebrity is all about building fake hype these days... this is also why I'll wait to book edge until people have actually sailed on it.

Actually the price is not too bad - you can get a regular cabin (it is really not ALL suite ship) for $4500. However, the original Celebrity ships included a night in Quite before and after the cruise and also the plane flight to the Galapagos. This one includes neither. I do agree that the reason you do the Galapagos is for the on shore experiences and not for fancy cabins, free booze and gourmet food. At least that is why we went. We originally booked on one of the Celebrity ships but transferred to another cruise at a better price that provided us w a wonderful 10 day experience.

DON

Celebrity Flora is an all suite ship (lowest category being an S1 Sky Suite). The lowest rate I could find is about $9499 per person (cruise only)before the $120pp taxes/fees . 10,11, and 15 night tours can still be had on this new ship as well. Where did you see $4500 and it not being an all suite ship?

This sounds great. We have been wanting to do the Galapagos and this might be the very ship. No it's not for everyone, but I don't understand the "mega yuppies" comment. The ship sounds lovely and the small size makes me happy.

meaning very well off and more in tune with the Earth.

Celebrity Flora is an all suite ship (lowest category being an S1 Sky Suite). The lowest rate I could find is about $9499 per person (cruise only)before the $120pp taxes/fees . 10,11, and 15 night tours can still be had on this new ship as well. Where did you see $4500 and it not being an all suite ship?

My mistake. I went on the Celebrity site and then misread what I saw.

DON

There are a lot a variety out there for cruisers, it may not be your cup of tea but there are people who would snap up the rooms. I was on a transpacific sailing and they asked how many had sailed there, more than half the people raised their hands. Many more wanted to go.

The layout of the bedroom area reminds me of the river cruise line by Avalon Waterways with the bed facing the balcony. That’s a great move on their part for this ship.

Marketing! Promoted as suites but if every cabin is a "suite" are not the lower end sky suites just regular balcony cabins in reality. But they are charging suite prices for them And there are no suite perks like a beverage package but that has been the same with their other ships in the Galapagos I think.

DON

Curious - I saw nothing under $9,000 for just the 7 night cruise, and only suite pricing?

Perhaps what happened is that the other ships came up when you clicked the "Book Now" button. I had to filter out to only see the Flora.

We have the 15 night package booked on Expedition, in a suite for not much more than the cost of the 7 nighter on Flora!

Regarding comments from others on perks offered, the gratuities, internet (as bad as it is) and alcohol are already included on the Galapagos cruises so they would not be offering them as specials.

We were on Expedition this summer and X surprised us with a last minute upgrade from ov to suite. Turned out to not be a big deal. Slightly larger cabin, small balcony and free laundry. Spent very little time in cabin other than to sleep. Galapagos is all about exploring nature. If your memories of the cruise are all about fancy eating and soaking in a hot tub you wasted your money.