Water cartons are here! At least on Solstice

cruisestitch

Need cups or straws for containers that large...they must have small ones too..would not drink it straight out of the container either way..-yuck

Looks awkward for the treadmill cup holders!

We'll give it a try but will bring our Fiji water onboard too....

Need cups or straws for containers that large...they must have small ones too..would not drink it straight out of the container either way..-yuck

Looks awkward for the treadmill cup holders!

We'll give it a try but will bring our Fiji water onboard too....

If you zoom in on the photo, you see it is 500 mL, which equates to almost 17 fluid ounces. That is one bottled soda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK. So, 1: How do you recycle this, 2: There's probably more plastic in that cap assembly than a whole regular water bottle, and 3: What about all the plastic or polymers needed to make the container waterproof?

Hmmmm, baby steps IMHO are better then no steps at all.....

First, lots of containers are compostable, often ones with best before date.

Leaks? My guess is that they would use a wax like substance (infused with bio-degradable stuff that's compostable)

Lastly The cap all-by-itself can't be more than a cap+a plastic water bottle. Laws of physics. Maybe also bio?

xpo2ue5sremdyxuc0den.jpg

I like the 16.9 ounce size, but am wondering if it will fit in the outside pocket of my favorite travel purse which I use when off the ship. Thanks for the "heads up." I think I will buy one of those metal reusable water bottles as I can be assured that it will fit in that pocket.

That plastic cap and the surrounding housing looks like it's much more plastic than the half liter plastic bottles. Note that about a decade or so ago most plastic water bottles became less rigid and the cap became half the size. That was their effort to cut the total plastic use. If that cap isn't any type of biodegradable material, it looks like just as much plastic as a regular plastic bottle with cap. At least that's how it looks to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

14ab333bcabc417a7952bc00410551b0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote

I am dating my self, however this is what I expected.

Many, many years ago, milk, juice, and soda (aka pop, soda pop, soft drinks) were packaged for sale in glass bottles.

Then, milk and juices were packaged for sale in cardboard containers, coated in a way similar to the water container pictures above.

Then all beverages were packaged in plastic containers or cans.

I did not expect the cruise industry to use glass bottles for the water, but I did expect the cardboard container coated in wax. Beverages stayed cold, and fresh tasting because the cardboard container protected the contents from light, and the cardboard was biodegradable.

Oh, and straws were made from.paper then, not plastic.

What was old, has become new again.

I was told by asst bar manager on Equinox that they are going to switch to glass Evian bottles.

Curious what there will be in two weeks. Cartons are not going to be so easy to transport. Going to glass bottles does have a retro feel to it -- but I suppose the extra weight is not a factor on board ships unlike planes.

The issue with these cartons are that because of the waterproof coating they are not recyclable or biodegradable. They will hang around for almost as long as plastic

I'm not sure why you would think cartons like this are not recyclable? Cartons with a polyethylene lining absolutely are recyclable as the paper product is separated from the plastic lining at recycling plants using a hydrapulper.

That plastic cap and the surrounding housing looks like it's much more plastic than the half liter plastic bottles. Note that about a decade or so ago most plastic water bottles became less rigid and the cap became half the size. That was their effort to cut the total plastic use. If that cap isn't any type of biodegradable material, it looks like just as much plastic as a regular plastic bottle with cap. At least that's how it looks to me.

:rolleyes: Zoom in !

As mentioned above it is a 500ml carton ... so the same size as the small water bottles. It just looks so big on the photo. So the cap is the same size.

I still have a problem with this whole bottled water thing. Eco friendly?? How much paper and polymer is used to make the bottle (now a paper box)? How much electricity is needed to fill the bottle? How much plastic is used to assemble the cases of bottles? How much diesel is used to ship these bottles cross country? How much energy is used in the recycle process? Look at the whole picture.

This is all about LLP's feel good nonsense -- same with the doing away with plastic straws. Basically, it's all "much ado about nothing."

You can tell by all the responses on this thread and on the past plastic straw threads -- It's all psychological -- makes people feel good and warm & fuzzy, and it seems to be working.

That's my personal opinion, and I'm sticking to it. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Zoom in !

As mentioned above it is a 500ml carton ... so the same size as the small water bottles. It just looks so big on the photo. So the cap is the same size.

Yes, I get that but it still looks like a larger cap than on a usual half liter full plastic bottle. Half liter IS 500 ml.