Travelscoot .?. Smartscoot .?. Travelscoot .?. Smart

ProfessorEFFE

I always over-evaluate everything I buy> Haven't a clue why, So I am a 300 lb guy more or less. Which Scooter The Smartscoot originally had a payload of 250 lbs. ELIMINATED ... Or WAS it??Then their site states 300 lbs. So now it's Stainless Steel or Aluminum albeit aircraft grade whatever that truly means. Triangular frame seat yolk. Front wheel drive, rear left wheel drive. Band brakes, disk breaks ??

So I called a man who rents both TravelScoot and SmartScoot. He told me that he has men who weigh more than 350 lbs on the SmartScoot. The Drive is a little better, it has disk brakes, newer electronics, further distance, stainless steel frame, cheaper batteries, adjustable width rear wheels from 23" to 33". # different speeds, more power and HE not SmartScoot would guarantee it for 3 years parts and labor. So I gave him my CC number and it's on its way. More to come. I didn't want to out right say the name of this company. Look for SmartScoot TravelScoot Rentals it's there somewhere. I'll try to show delivery and take pictures.

I raise your over-evaluating. ;) I still have the spreadsheet I put together with manufacturer, model name, model number, price, weight capacity, top speed, width, and other info on every scooter I could find stats on, even the ones I instantly ruled out.

I haven't used a SmartScoot but I looked at it before buying my Triaxe Sport. I LOVELOVELOVE the independence of having my own scooter, that I can fold up by myself so it can travel in anything! I can't lift it into the car myself yet, but I'm working out at the Y to build up my arm and back strength so I hope soon, and then I will be UNSTOPPABLE! lol

Also really looking forward to taking it on our May cruise. Poor DH was about done in pushing my wheelchair up the ramp to the ship. (He was too macho to accept the offered help of numerous ship staff. He got over that fast!)

I've gotta ask, though, did the guy personally guarantee it IN WRITING?

Edited by mamasylvia

I always over-evaluate everything I buy> Haven't a clue why, So I am a 300 lb guy more or less. Which Scooter The Smartscoot originally had a payload of 250 lbs. ELIMINATED ... Or WAS it??Then their site states 300 lbs. So now it's Stainless Steel or Aluminum albeit aircraft grade whatever that truly means. Triangular frame seat yolk. Front wheel drive, rear left wheel drive. Band brakes, disk breaks ??

So I called a man who rents both TravelScoot and SmartScoot. He told me that he has men who weigh more than 350 lbs on the SmartScoot. The Drive is a little better, it has disk brakes, newer electronics, further distance, stainless steel frame, cheaper batteries, adjustable width rear wheels from 23" to 33". # different speeds, more power and HE not SmartScoot would guarantee it for 3 years parts and labor. So I gave him my CC number and it's on its way. More to come. I didn't want to out right say the name of this company. Look for SmartScoot TravelScoot Rentals it's there somewhere. I'll try to show delivery and take pictures.

It's OK to state the rental company's name. Guessing you contacted http://www.scootanywhere.com/ as I believe that's the only company currently renting the Smartscoot as well as selling it.

Hope you're only renting at first to try the Smartscoot as it's very important to test ride any mobility scooter prior to actually purchasing to determine if it fits you and well as your needs.

A couple a months ago there was an Abilities Expo nearby in which there was a Smartscoot exhibitor. Tested the Smartscoot and personally found the seat too small in overall size and width as well as the backrest was uncomfortable. Though the rep told me the back rest could be adjusted for better overall comfort and by doing so would allow for a better sitting area, she was unable to actually adjust it which did concern me. You on the other hand may find the seat and backrest totally comfortable. Hope it fits your needs!

Edited by xxoocruiser

Not a chance

It is fabulous. I think we will be seeing many more of these. They can go on the tender no issue. They fit everywhere. Of course you need to be able to walk to use one but I think they are far better than the large scooters that are prevalent on board IF a person is able to walk, just not long distances

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm going to take my Triaxe on some excursions this May. Not sure how many, not because of its weight (53 lb) or size, but because it doesn't work well on dirt roads. But I'm really looking forward to DH not having to push me through airports, then folding it at the aircraft door to hand to the gate agent!

I'm going to take my Triaxe on some excursions this May. Not sure how many, not because of its weight (53 lb) or size, but because it doesn't work well on dirt roads. But I'm really looking forward to DH not having to push me through airports, then folding it at the aircraft door to hand to the gate agent!

It is life changing. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just a question...Can you fit a scooter in a regular cabin or do you need a wheelchair accessible cabin?

It will be crowded as there is not sufficient floor page to move about the cabin unless you booked a suite. Additionally most standard cruise cabin doorways are 23" door frame to door frame , 2" has to be deducted as the door does not open flush to wall. Thereby making the total clearance only 21" so you scooter has to be less than 21" in width to fit through the entry door.

Just a question...Can you fit a scooter in a regular cabin or do you need a wheelchair accessible cabin?

You can, but it depends very much on the size of the cabin, the amount of hallway getting from the door into the cabin, and the size of the scooter.

I rent a scooter for my cruises, and take a large inside cabin, with no hallway. It's tight getting the scooter through the door, with about an inch clearance on each side, and I make sure there is space in the cabin to store (and charge) the scooter without it being in my way.

Funny thing is outside cabins, and suites, on the same ship are too small to store the scooter, even if I could get it inside!

There are some scooters for purchase that fold up. Those would be easy to store in many cabins.

A more accurate answer would be "maybe." Most non-accessible cabin doors are around 22" wide, and many scooters are also 22" wide. The problem is that most cabin doors open IN, so you do not actually have the full 22" width to drive through; 1-2" are lost to the depth of the door.

If you want to try, get the measurement of the full width of the scooter at its widest point, and ask the cruise line for the width of the door to the cabin you are considering (then subtract 2"). Most likely the numbers will tell you it won't fit. Some people have been able to get scooters in by taking off the arms. I bought a folding scooter so on the (very rare) occasions where my scooter is too wide for a door, I can just fold it up and if necessary wiggle it in sideways!

A more accurate answer would be "maybe." Most non-accessible cabin doors are around 22" wide, and many scooters are also 22" wide. The problem is that most cabin doors open IN, so you do not actually have the full 22" width to drive through; 1-2" are lost to the depth of the door.

If you want to try, get the measurement of the full width of the scooter at its widest point, and ask the cruise line for the width of the door to the cabin you are considering (then subtract 2"). Most likely the numbers will tell you it won't fit. Some people have been able to get scooters in by taking off the arms. I bought a folding scooter so on the (very rare) occasions where my scooter is too wide for a door, I can just fold it up and if necessary wiggle it in sideways!

With all due respect my previous post as well as RuthC's post are accurate responses being that both of us have actually stayed in standard cabins with a mobility scooter.

Furthermore most mass cruise line's standard cabin doors are 23" in width as stated in my previous post. In fact Carnival is the only mass market cruise line that the standard cabin door is 22". Therefore perplexed why you stated "Most non-accessible cabin doors are around 22" wide"?

• RCCL's website states 23"
  • Celebrity website states 23"
  • Holland America's website states 23"
  • NCL's website states that if you have booked a non-accessible cabin the scooter must be less than 26" in width
  • Carnival's Website states Your personal scooter should be able to fit in a standard stateroom with a 22" entry doorway. If your scooter is larger than 21", you must purchase an accessible stateroom

If the individual is planning to rent a scooter through either Scooteraround (formerly CareVacations) or SpecialNeedsatSeas, provided the individual does not require a Bariatric Scooter than both companies will provide the Pride GoGo Sport or the Pride GoGo Elite Traveler HD. Both of which will fit through a standard cabin doorway, However the scooter will take up most of the floor space thus making it very difficult to move about the cabin if the individual also requires the use of a walker.

FEDEX Delivered it an hour ago! I am a bit anal retentive regarding reading Manuals so I had already downloaded it and read it 2 times. There is something different with this one. The battery sits on top of the controller, rather than behind. The speed control can be off while the electronics are on. Reverse is interesting as well, it appears that you have much better throttle control for reverse (nice feature IMHO).

Actually it's much bigger than I thought it would be. As are the wheels etc. I bought 2 batteries am charging one now played driving the scoot around the house with the other. I am blown away by the comfort, and the power of this bad boy. One thing for sure do NOT underestimate the power of this motor

I have a Pride Victory 10 and it fits thru the regular cabin door. It would be very crowded so we get a suite which has the same size door. We just returned from a Carnival cruise with mine. Its the second time I took it on a cruise.

You could have the cabin steward remove the coffee table which will give you more room.

My first impressions are that this SmartScoot is very well built! The welds are pretty amazing (I used to be a welder on Submarines). Some things have physically changed. The battery now fits on top of the control module rather than behind. and there are 2 cane holders. It's also MUCH bigger than I thought. It took about 4 hours to charge up each battery (I bought 2 just in case). The speeds are good and it's tricky getting up a sloped driveway. (A running start helps) All I can say is now the DW and I are going to practice in an empty parking lot. I suspect that the TravelScoot is just as well built. FWIW I chose the SmartScoot because:

1) Disk Brakes

2) Stainless Steel

3) Higher speed limit

4) Longer Range

My first impressions are that this SmartScoot is very well built! The welds are pretty amazing (I used to be a welder on Submarines). Some things have physically changed. The battery now fits on top of the control module rather than behind. and there are 2 cane holders. It's also MUCH bigger than I thought. It took about 4 hours to charge up each battery (I bought 2 just in case). The speeds are good and it's tricky getting up a sloped driveway. (A running start helps) All I can say is now the DW and I are going to practice in an empty parking lot. I suspect that the TravelScoot is just as well built. FWIW I chose the SmartScoot because:

1) Disk Brakes

2) Stainless Steel

3) Higher speed limit

4) Longer Range

As with any lightweight mobility scooter, but especially the Smartscoot, Travelscoot and Luggie, it's important to note that scooter can easily tip over when riding across an incline/decline rather than down/up and incline/decline such as the fan of driveway or a dip in the side walk. Therefor you will have to compensate for the change in slope by shifting your weight towards the higher end of the slope. If the it slopes to your right than you need to lean towards your left and vice versa. If this is not done you will most likely tip over. Have witness this happening on more than one occasion. compensate for the change in the unleveled ground the you will tip over.

bitob,

I guess you missed the time for the first charge. Generally it takes 3 - 5 hours to do an initial charge. I have 2 batteries so it took 8 hours. I understand the subsequent charges take about an hour.

xxoocruiser,

You are ABSOLUTELY Correct!! It can be tricky going up and down uneven slopes. One has to learn to shift one's weight in the proper direction.