South Beach hotel recommendations

smyemar

Hi all! We are looking for a hotel in South Beach for February pre cruise that will be well located so many restaurants and nightlife close by as well as safe and somewhat budget friendly. I am thinking that the Clevelander adults only looks pretty good but does anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks!

"South Beach" and "budget friendly" are pretty much mutually exclusive, especially in February. But if the Clevelander is within your guidelines it is a decent choice. Just know it is on the busiest corner of Ocean Drive. And the rowdiest and loudest; if you have a room facing either the street or the ESPN Zone bars do not count on much sleep. And the restaurants along the strip just south of the hotel are notorious price-gouging/bait-and-switch tourist traps. The real South Beach may be a little "too real" for the average cruise tourist; staying closer to Lincoln Road or South-of-Fifth is recommended if you think you will want some overnight respite from the drunken party scene--and to not be totally fleeced with $50 margaritas and $200 for a plate of bar snacks.

The Clevelander is a decent hotel, it is not in a quiet location, and the rooms are tiny (as most boutique hotels on South Beach), but the location is great ... right in the center of everything.

I suggest using Hotwire and search for a 3* or above in the following areas:

Oceanfront Collins Avenue

Ocean Drive North

Ocean Drive South

We do this every February to stay on South Beach for the South Beach Wine & Food Festival weekend and have found a hotel for around $200 including taxes and fees. Through Hotwire, we have stayed at the Richmond (Oceanfront Collins), the Harrison (Ocean Drive South - 1 block), and last year we got the Penguin (Ocean Drive North).

You can also use Booking.com to search for a hotel that has free cancellation, which is a good back up to have, just in case you cannot find something else.

Take a look at the Catalina on Collins.

One of my favorite moderate hotel with really high end amenities.

My husband and I usually spend a weekend in South Beach every other month and have been doing so for years. I can second the hotwire suggestion. That is all we ever do.

Unless I was 25 and single with a bunch of friends, I would not stay at the Clevelander.

Brunello, what SBW&FF events are y'all attending? It's gotten so stupid expensive we skip it unless we get free tickets.

Thanks for the responses! I realize nothing in South Beach will be budget friendly but $50 margaritas and $200 dinners is not what we are looking for. I am Canadian so that is a $70 margarita LOL! We were in Miami in November pre -cruise and stayed at Miami Marriot Biscayne Bay which we paid $380.00 CDN for but that hotel in February is around $500 and that is too rich for my blood. We didnt pay much more for the cruise! Unfortunately the Catalina hotel has no availability. I have looked on Hotwire and the prices are better but would rather know where I am staying. How are the Avalon? Colony? Kent? Dorchester? Thanks!

Take a look at the Catalina on Collins.

One of my favorite moderate hotel with really high end amenities.

My husband and I usually spend a weekend in South Beach every other month and have been doing so for years. I can second the hotwire suggestion. That is all we ever do.

Unless I was 25 and single with a bunch of friends, I would not stay at the Clevelander.

Brunello, what SBW&FF events are y'all attending? It's gotten so stupid expensive we skip it unless we get free tickets.

Yes, the prices have really gone up! We usually do the Grand Tasting Village on Saturday. We wait about 1-2 weeks before the festival and usually find someone selling tickets through Craig's List and have met them in person to make the transaction (luckily no scams!). We have been able to get our tickets for around $150 each vs the $225+ if purchased online. We budget for it as a nice weekend getaway (combined Christmas, Anniversary, and Valentine's gifts) even though we live in paradise already :) Last year, we also had tickets for Sting on Saturday evening, so it was a great weekend all around. I know there are some events around Fort Lauderdale, so may see what options there are, if we do not go to South Beach.

Thanks for the responses! I realize nothing in South Beach will be budget friendly but $50 margaritas and $200 dinners is not what we are looking for. I am Canadian so that is a $70 margarita LOL! We were in Miami in November pre -cruise and stayed at Miami Marriot Biscayne Bay which we paid $380.00 CDN for but that hotel in February is around $500 and that is too rich for my blood. We didnt pay much more for the cruise! Unfortunately the Catalina hotel has no availability. I have looked on Hotwire and the prices are better but would rather know where I am staying. How are the Avalon? Colony? Kent? Dorchester? Thanks!

We have not stayed yet but we have reserved the Hotel Urbanica. It has great reviews on trip advisor. Close to the beach but not on it and has been reported as being in a quieter area.

Yes, the prices have really gone up! We usually do the Grand Tasting Village on Saturday. We wait about 1-2 weeks before the festival and usually find someone selling tickets through Craig's List and have met them in person to make the transaction (luckily no scams!). We have been able to get our tickets for around $150 each vs the $225+ if purchased online. We budget for it as a nice weekend getaway (combined Christmas, Anniversary, and Valentine's gifts) even though we live in paradise already :) Last year, we also had tickets for Sting on Saturday evening, so it was a great weekend all around. I know there are some events around Fort Lauderdale, so may see what options there are, if we do not go to South Beach.

What a GREAT idea to check craigslist! Never thought of that!

We do the same thing as far as not exchanging presents. We spend a lot of time in South Beach, Miami, Keys, Key West, Palm Beach/Delray, and Sarasota.

We are literally forcing ourselves to go to Italy this summer. Where in Italy? A beach.:cool::cool::cool:

What a GREAT idea to check craigslist! Never thought of that!

We do the same thing as far as not exchanging presents. We spend a lot of time in South Beach, Miami, Keys, Key West, Palm Beach/Delray, and Sarasota.

We are literally forcing ourselves to go to Italy this summer. Where in Italy? A beach.:cool::cool::cool:

La Dolce Vita! Let me know if you need any recommendations on the Amalfi Coast / Capri, if your plans take you there!

I second the idea of AirBnB, its a good option that can be a bit more cost friendly. South Beach and February are not cheap, especially if its the Food & Wine festival or Boat Show weekends.

The Clevelander is one of the better places on Ocean Drive, just make sure you understand it will be loud and busy there. Also, other than the water and nice buildings locals avoid Ocean Drive like the plague. It is full of low quality high price bait and switch scam restaurants. That will charge $40.00 for some frozen chicken and water down drink.

For good food go South of 5th or west of Collins ave when in South Beach.

I really don't know the South Beach hotels that well as I live in the Downtown area. But its a small enough place that regardless of where you are its a good location as in you can easily walk or take a very quick uber/taxi anywhere you need to go.

• 2 weeks later...

We've stayed at LA Flora Hotel, on 12th and Collins. Perfect location for noise control, beach/park access, Lincoln Rd Mall etc. Light breakfast, large rooms, happy hour. It's become very popular, so not sure of availibility.

We stayed in the Essex Place. It’s right behind the Clevelander and is their sister hotel. It’s a boutique hotel but spacious and included a decent breakfast.

It also included a bracelet for free admission to the Clevelander property and events which is nice. Their cover was steep.

The beach is a 2-3 minute walk and their are several places to eat and drink close by. There is a beer, wine, and liquor store close by as well.