NeoClassica cruise, Madagascar

CountessP

Greetings to all planning on taking this cruise, including Madagascar. We are presently booked on the same cruise in January, 2018. However, we are very concerned about the Pneumonic Plague, which has not yet been contained, in Madagascar. They've had outbreaks of the Bubonic Plague periodically, but this is the Pneumonic Plague, which spreads far easier, person to person. Are we the only ones that are really, really worried about this? Isn't anyone else concerned about going to Madagascar? It also got to the Seychelles, but I understand they managed to contain it. Curious to hear thoughts and concerns.

There has been a lot of discusion about the plague situation on therollcall for the current sailing (due to leave Port Louis tomorrow). The passengers have still not heard from from Costa as to what is happening with regards to Madagascar.

Here is the link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2516448

We did this cruise last December, fabulous places withe exception of Madagascar. There is not a lot to see or do, most of the forest is gone and the hills are barren, the having been used for cooking and making charcoal.

A cruise to Mombasa or Zanzibar would have been more exciting.

If you want any info, just ask.

Thanks for info. I just went over to the roll call. I am disappointed in Costa. How can they be so flippant about such a serious situation. Not only taking the risk of infecting the passengers, but the possibility of quarantine is very real. These passengers could conceivably be stuck on this ship for weeks, with no one allowing them in.

I will continue to monitor the roll call, but unless they eliminate Madagascar and replace it with another port, my gut feeling is that we will cancel. I just can't see us flying halfway across the world to expose ourselves to such a dangerous illness. As much as I want to see the world, no cruise or travel destination is worth such a risk. And yes, Zanzibar would be an awesome substitute. Costa, are you listening?

BTW, I am sorry to hear Madagascar was such a disappointment. Such a big island. I would have thought it had a lot to offer.

I am so sorry for the people that live there. Now they are losing their tourism as well. I only hope they get this Plague under control. This is a real tragedy that needs to be addressed, not only for them, but for the world. We're all connected!

We have friends on a Costa ship now with three stops planned for Madagascar. Initially after boarding they were told one stop had been cancelled. Today they have been told that all three stops have been cancelled with extra time now in the Seychelles and Reunion. I think you can assume that no Costa ships will call at Madagascar now until the situation improves

I'm glad to hear they finally saw the light, but it took them far too long. The London Express, Sunday's paper, has an article stating that there are now 9 high risk countries, including Reunion Island and Mauritius. Maybe WHO acted a bit too late!