Current Open Hotels in San Juan

I was told they are closed til 2018 so changed my reservation I would call them again to see for sure

Condado Hilton has said they will be available on 11/11. We have a room there. We were going to stay at the Embassy Suites Dorado, but canceled because we got flights out on Saturday afternoon post cruise.

Was walking OSJ today starting and ending at Sheraton. Saw no damage and obviously running. Saw relief workers often, lots generators and no power trucks. Sparse tourism. Forts closed. Got pics of USS Comfort.

The front desk at the Isla Verde Marriott gave me incorrect info and I got an email from them earlier today explaining that they are honoring existing reservations, just not new reservations.

Good afternoon Julie,

Thank you so much for your interest in staying at our hotel. We’re very sorry the front desk gave you incorrect information. We are open and fully operational. During the month of November and part of December, we are giving priority to the first responders that are working on the island. This priority for first responders only applies to new reservations, which means that everyone that already has a reservation confirmed at our hotel will be more than welcome to stay at our property.

We are not able to change this prepaid reservation to a future stay. However, due to the circumstances, if you are not able to cancel your AirBNB reservation, please let us know so we may cancel the reservation and provide a full refund.

If you have any other questions or requests, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

I got an email for our reservations for 3/30/17 to 4/1/17 were cancelled as well. I use my Hilton Honor's points and so far the reservation is still showing on their site and I've not got my points back. I'm going to wait the weekend to see if this is updated and then make new reservations after Thanksgiving. :mad:

I'm using Hilton honors points as well. I booked the Caribe Hilton back in April for the end of January. It's still showing on my app, and the reservation still says that reservations are only cancelled until December 31, 2017. I spent some time on the phone with 1-800-Hilton yesterday, and they were still showing my reservation intact too. When I told them about the email I received, they recommended holding on to the reservation until the 72 hour cancellation time, in case things change. I searched the website for any availability in San Juan for our dates, and the only hotels showing any availability were the Doubletree and Hampton Inn. I used more points to book the Doubletree, but I'm not hopeful. We fly down on American, and we are able to change our flights, but even the earliest same day flight gets us in a little late for comfort in making the cruise.

So until my reservation is actually cancelled and points returned to me, I will assume that I have somewhere to stay.. Of course, I will continue to monitor the situation daily.

Because of your booking being honored, we canceled Sheraton Old San Juan before they canceled us! We just booked El Convento. Two night in late March. It is pricey with a high local tax etc. that is ok. it is our contribution to the hurting economy of San Juan PR

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since we actually stayed at a San Juan hotel since Hurricane Maria I am still checking this thread periodically.

We are the folks who stayed at the El Convento from October 28th through October 31st. Hope your reservation and also that of Cyber Kat works out as well as ours did. We had made that reservation almost a year prior to our stay, and, quite frankly, are a little unclear, given the frequent cancellations others are experiencing, why that reservation was honored. The fact that we made the reservation directly with the hotel may have helped us, and also the fact that we had booked three nights. We also had booked one of their nicer rooms. And after Maria hit Puerto Rico we started checking with the hotel on a regular basis to confirm that they would be able to accommodate us, so we had somewhat of a e-mail friendship with one of the concierges, and we wonder if that also helped us. But we were the only tourists we could identify staying there -- the vast bulk were clearly active duty Coast Guard folks, several private contractor electricians, and a US Postal Service employee who was working on establishing emergency postal services. Given the popularity of boutique hotels that makes us wonder how many folks who had reservations were bumped.

Since we actually stayed at a San Juan hotel since Hurricane Maria I am still checking this thread periodically.

We are the folks who stayed at the El Convento from October 28th through October 31st. Hope your reservation and also that of Cyber Kat works out as well as ours did. We had made that reservation almost a year prior to our stay, and, quite frankly, are a little unclear, given the frequent cancellations others are experiencing, why that reservation was honored. The fact that we made the reservation directly with the hotel may have helped us, and also the fact that we had booked three nights. We also had booked one of their nicer rooms. And after Maria hit Puerto Rico we started checking with the hotel on a regular basis to confirm that they would be able to accommodate us, so we had somewhat of a e-mail friendship with one of the concierges, and we wonder if that also helped us. But we were the only tourists we could identify staying there -- the vast bulk were clearly active duty Coast Guard folks, several private contractor electricians,

and a US Postal Service employee who was working on establishing emergency postal services. Given the popularity of boutique hotels that makes us wonder how many folks who had reservations were bumped.

We booked directly with the hotel. We plan on using the services of the concierge to book a guide for a walking tour during our stay. There is also another poster from our roll call who is staying there pre cruise. We are booked for late March, after Cyber Kat's sailing on the Viking Sea.

How was the breakfast, dinners ,bar service, roof top or pool area?

The hotel looks " old world "wonderful.

I'm using Hilton honors points as well. I booked the Caribe Hilton back in April for the end of January. It's still showing on my app, and the reservation still says that reservations are only cancelled until December 31, 2017. I spent some time on the phone with 1-800-Hilton yesterday, and they were still showing my reservation intact too. When I told them about the email I received, they recommended holding on to the reservation until the 72 hour cancellation time, in case things change. I searched the website for any availability in San Juan for our dates, and the only hotels showing any availability were the Doubletree and Hampton Inn. I used more points to book the Doubletree, but I'm not hopeful. We fly down on American, and we are able to change our flights, but even the earliest same day flight gets us in a little late for comfort in making the cruise.

So until my reservation is actually cancelled and points returned to me, I will assume that I have somewhere to stay.. Of course, I will continue to monitor the situation daily.

Well my Hilton Honors points were added back to my account. I'll books some where else and keep hoping that the Caribe Hilton opens back up for reservations.

Well my Hilton Honors points were added back to my account. I'll books some where else and keep hoping that the Caribe Hilton opens back up for reservations.

Not sure when you are looking to stay but The Caribe has a ton of damage from the hurricane. If you search google there is a video out there showing the damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just received my notification of cancellation for the night of January 12 at Comfort Inn Condado. I'm confused as other people reported staying there in the last couple of weeks??? Frustrated too. This is the third reservation I've had cancelled for the night of January 12.

We are the folks who stayed at the El Convento from October 28th through October 31st. Hope your reservation and also that of Cyber Kat works out as well as ours did. We had made that reservation almost a year prior to our stay, and, quite frankly, are a little unclear, given the frequent cancellations others are experiencing, why that reservation was honored. The fact that we made the reservation directly with the hotel may have helped us, and also the fact that we had booked three nights. We also had booked one of their nicer rooms. And after Maria hit Puerto Rico we started checking with the hotel on a regular basis to confirm that they would be able to accommodate us, so we had somewhat of a e-mail friendship with one of the concierges, and we wonder if that also helped us. But we were the only tourists we could identify staying there -- the vast bulk were clearly active duty Coast Guard folks, several private contractor electricians, and a US Postal Service employee who was working on establishing emergency postal services. Given the popularity of boutique hotels that makes us wonder how many folks who had reservations were bumped.

We stayed there 11/2-11/4. When we told John that we were tourists he was really surprised. He said we were only the third couple since the storm and one was from Alaska. That must have stuck in his head as you traveled so far.

We enjoyed our stay although our room was a bit musty. I believe it was due to the fact it was the Pablo suite ($$$$) and no one has probably stayed in it since the storm. The room had it's own AC and I would imagine it was left at a warmer temp than normal. The hotel was very accommodating as we found out 1 week prior that they decided to cancel my daughter's third party reservation and only honor my direct booking. Service was top notch, they were at our room within minutes for our two requests.

We ended up eating at the tapa's bar after a recommendation from a member of the CG. Restaurant has a limited menu that changes daily due to availability but food was good and relatively inexpensive. Triana restaurant has entertainment at night but keep in mind the streets can be dark. We had a group of 6 and didn't feel uncomfortable.

Just received my notification of cancellation for the night of January 12 at Comfort Inn Condado. I'm confused as other people reported staying there in the last couple of weeks??? Frustrated too. This is the third reservation I've had cancelled for the night of January 12.

When we stayed there on 10/27 they were starting to have issues with their generator and water issues as well. They ended up getting the generator back on, but the water issues persisted. People on our cruise who stayed there precruise were supposed to stay post-cruise too, but were canceled due to the hotel no longer having water.

When we stayed there on 10/27 they were starting to have issues with their generator and water issues as well. They ended up getting the generator back on, but the water issues persisted. People on our cruise who stayed there precruise were supposed to stay post-cruise too, but were canceled due to the hotel no longer having water.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. I'm just starting to get a bit cynical about some of these cancellations.

I just called Embassy Suites and they said my January 6th reservation is still confirmed. Should I be worried?

I was canceled by Embassy Suites for a December date. It was confirmed......until they canceled. No notification by email, it just showed up as canceled on their web site a couple of weeks ago when I was checking their site. You should be worried. My guess is that they cancel in batches. At some point they will stop canceling but that I guess depends on the relief workers who are currently occupying rooms. Whenever they leave.

I just called Embassy Suites and they said my January 6th reservation is still confirmed. Should I be worried?

I would definitely have at least one backup reservation.

But I'd also keep that and call to verify about once a week when you're a month out. Note that they are not allowing any online booking at that hotel until March 31st 2018.

Just an FYI to everyone coming in early

I booked my hotel prior to the hurricane, confirmed it a couple weeks back and today received an email from what appeared to be expeida, email and everything looked legitimate (booked the hotel through Expedia to save $25 for the night at the San Juan airport hotel), stating my hotel accommodations could no longer be honored and to call a number given in the email along with a whole group for every country making it seem more legitimate. I called it seemed odd because someone answered immediately with no automation after selecting language. The connection was crappy and I couldn’t really hear the person on the other line, so I hung up and decided to called the hotel directly. They confirmed my reservation, so I then contacted expeida through their customer service number on their website. Turns out this has become a common issue following the hurricane with reservations made through online booking companies. They believe the information is being sold to credit card phishing schemes. I am incredibly protective of my card info and if it wasn’t for the spotty connection the likelihood of getting caught by the scheme was high because I didn’t think anything of it and was panicking because I fly out Friday morning.

Watch out for emails like this in the coming days if you booked through the online hotel retailers as you may be getting an email as well.

This is scary. Thanks, Tplanav, for sharing your experience -- undoubtedly will help others.

Carolyn

Just an FYI to everyone coming in early

I booked my hotel prior to the hurricane, confirmed it a couple weeks back and today received an email from what appeared to be expeida, email and everything looked legitimate (booked the hotel through Expedia to save $25 for the night at the San Juan airport hotel), stating my hotel accommodations could no longer be honored and to call a number given in the email along with a whole group for every country making it seem more legitimate. I called it seemed odd because someone answered immediately with no automation after selecting language. The connection was crappy and I couldn’t really hear the person on the other line, so I hung up and decided to called the hotel directly. They confirmed my reservation, so I then contacted expeida through their customer service number on their website. Turns out this has become a common issue following the hurricane with reservations made through online booking companies. They believe the information is being sold to credit card phishing schemes. I am incredibly protective of my card info and if it wasn’t for the spotty connection the likelihood of getting caught by the scheme was high because I didn’t think anything of it and was panicking because I fly out Friday morning.

Watch out for emails like this in the coming days if you booked through the online hotel retailers as you may be getting an email as well.

I just received an email cancellation for the Caribe Hilton for the end of January 2018. The reservation is still showing up as active in my account. I called Hilton's main number, and they do not show any cancellation either. They recommended holding on to the reservation for now. All of the Hilton hotels in San Juan are now showing as unavailable for our time period, except the Doubletree, which had previously only been bookable for 2 days. I currently have both of these hotels booked on points.

Will keep following, but the next move will be to fly into FL the night before, and get an early morning flight to PR. Day of flights from where I live get in too late for our cruise.

Yep. We have SWA flights set up to get to SJU 2 different ways. MDW-SJU all in one day with a cancellable reservation at the SJU airport hotel AND a MDW-MCO day 1 with a MCO-SJU the next morning arriving about 10:30. We're about 60 days out right now. No need to make any final decisions yet. One of those trips will simply be cancelled based on the facts on the ground in January.

Edited by jsglow
typo

We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott San Juan Miramar on Nov 17 -- we had a booking before the hurricane, and had no problem. It's running well. Transportation around the airport, cruise port, hotels in the area, Old San Juan, all ok. Plenty of Uber drivers are working, in addition to the taxis.