car service booking question

Orleanscruiser

Jan 3 is a Wednesday. I wouldn't be in a hurry to get in a hired car to sit in rush hour traffic into and across Manhattan.

What time do the NY cruisers recommend arriving at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal? For Cape Liberty we recommend 10-10:30 at the earliest. So if someone is arriving at EWR on a red eye, we suggest they hang out at the airport rather than rushing to the port where there are no services and lots of people trying to get off the ship.

Where are you going? It is way too early to head to a cruise port, in my opinion. Are you sitting in first class? Have priority checked bags? 30 minutes is very optimistic. At most- without these priorities, figure at least an hour, by time the plane taxis, gets to the gate, you get off the plane, walk through the terminal, get to baggage claim, wait for your bags, get to your car service meeting point. Hope you see, it will take more time than you are allowing.

Every car service I've ever taken from an airport has wanted the flight information including the scheduled arrival time, not a guess about when you might be through baggage claim and ready to get into the car. Many large services monitor flight status and many have cars waiting in staging areas near the airports. When you collect your bags you call the dispatcher and they send the car to pick you up, unless you pay extra for meet and greet service, where the driver will be waiting for you at baggage claim holding a sign with your name on it.

I'm not saying that every car service works this way, because I obviously have't taken every car service, but every one I've taken has, and I've used car services from airports hundreds of times.

I usually arrive at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal between 9:30 and 10 am, but I'm one of those people who likes to check in early, take a seat, relax and be among those boarding the ship early.

If your flight is arriving at 7:30 it will likely be 8:30 before you get into your car, and you'll likely arrive at the cruise terminal by 9:30. That would suit me, but might not suit you.

figure at least an hour, by time the plane taxis, gets to the gate, you get off the plane, walk through the terminal, get to baggage claim, wait for your bags, get to your car service meeting point.

Just a small point of clarification: You shouldn't need to factor in time for the plane to taxi and get to the gate. The flight's scheduled arrival time is the time it arrives at the gate, not the landing time, so it already accounts for the time it takes to taxi in. Similarly, the scheduled departure time is the time the boarding door closes at the gate, not the time the wheels actually lift off from the ground. More than once I've been on a flight that left the gate on time and heard someone mutter, erroneously, "well now our flight is already late" because the aircraft is still on the ground and just starting to taxi to the runway.

Gem will likely be docked by 7 to 7:30 AM and start disembarkation by 8 AM, but even early/priority & Haven boarding isn't likely going to start until 11 to 11:30 AM (last few times, boots on the gangway about 11:30 as Platinium/VIP, etc.) ... that's about 45+ minutes sitting around & waiting in the designated lounge area. We usually get there around 10 AM & take about 20 to 30 minutes to get thru security & checking in, having the photos taken, etc.

On a weekday morning, it will take about 1 hour to leave LGA's to join the easing commuting traffic to get to the West Side of Manhattan for the cruise terminal ... so I would aim to get picked up by the car service around 8:45 to 9 AM, enough time to do a restroom stop inside the airport, maybe get a simple & quick bite for breakfast at concession pricing :o

Delta's flights will be at either Terminal C or D, less congested than the "main" or B, plus, a free 5 to 10 minutes shuttle bus ride on the Green route over to the designated parking lot to meet all FHV (For Hired Vehicles, including car services, limo, Uber, etc.) - easiest if you can be texted & called by the car service/driver (airport has free WiFi inside the buildings, unlike the cruise terminal ... horrible even for cellular reception unless sitting near the window & closest to 12th Avenue & not far into the Hudson River)

Just follow NJH's advice as above - once you get inside, there is a single vendor selling coffee, pretzel, chips & beverages while you wait, plus vending machine for soda. We usually manage to log into ship's WiFi, register & activate our mobile devices for the free iConcierge App and speed read the Freestyle Dailies to plan our routine for the rest of the day ... as a reminder, MDR doesn't open until 12 noon for sit-down lunch as we try our best to avoid the zoo (a/k/a buffet, open from 11:30 onward)

Lastly, please re-check the sailing time as some sailings apparently were getting NCL info-notices/email that ship is moving the sailaway time to 6 PM instead of 4 PM this winter, but not all sailings affected - going into effect soon (I didn't pay attention to all the details ... do a search here & possibly on the Roll Call)

I also want to add that all you have to do is give the service the flight information and they will work with that.

Just confirm where they meet you. Most will meet you at Baggage Claim.

Keith

My understanding from all the New Yorkers' posts about LGA construction is that for all the flights arriving at terminal B (everything but Delta, Westjet, and shuttles), it is necessary to take a shuttle bus to the car service pickup area. Hopefully the locals who actually use LGA will comment.

Terminal B Car Services Pick-Up

Terminal B Car Services, App-based Rides and Black Car passenger pick-up is located at the pick-up area between 6:00 AM and 10:00 PM, accessible by the Green Route Shuttle Bus. After 10:00 PM passenger pick-up returns to the Terminal B Departures level.

Thanks everyone

I guess i should clarify we are not going to the Manhattan cruise port on Jan 3th , we are going to the Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Midtown West .538 West 48th Street, Manhattan and on friday we are boarding the Breakaway.

I don't like taking a flight on the same day of the cruise . Our ta recommend at least 1 day prior to cruise

Just a small point of clarification: You shouldn't need to factor in time for the plane to taxi and get to the gate. The flight's scheduled arrival time is the time it arrives at the gate, not the landing time, so it already accounts for the time it takes to taxi in. Similarly, the scheduled departure time is the time the boarding door closes at the gate, not the time the wheels actually lift off from the ground. More than once I've been on a flight that left the gate on time and heard someone mutter, erroneously, "well now our flight is already late" because the aircraft is still on the ground and just starting to taxi to the runway.

I'm not making any reference to "flight times". Flying these airports - frequently have delays on the ground. There is no way to assume planes are at gates on time. (coming from an airline employee family who worked in LGA)

I'm not making any reference to "flight times". Flying these airports - frequently have delays on the ground. There is no way to assume planes are at gates on time. (coming from an airline employee family who worked in LGA)

No, but your reply indicated that one must build in extra time to taxi and arrive at the gate, above and beyond the stated arrival time. That sort of implies that the arrival time = wheels down time, which is not the case. I was clarifying for the benefit of others who may incorrectly assume (and many do) that departure time = wheels up tie and arrival time = wheels down time, rather than gate arrival time and gate departure time.

And yes, planes are late all the time, regardless of whether one is looking at wheels down time or actual arrival time. Allowing extra time for delays is something completely different to factor in; it has nothing to do with allowing extra time above and beyond the scheduled arrival time to "taxi and get to the gate." And, airlines actually do a pretty good job of accounting for "delays" on the ground, and factoring that into their stated arrival time. When those "delays" occur regularly enough, they cease to be delays per se, and are considered the normal amount of time it takes to get from landing to gate.

We just used Dial 7 car service last Friday to take us from LGA to our hotel in Manhattan. When I booked, they wanted flight number and where we were coming from. They sent me a contact to my smart phone and told us to contact the driver after we had our luggage and were ready to be picked up. The only problem was they said we would arrive at Terminal D, but we arrived at C. (We were flying on Delta) I called the driver, explained the change, and was told where to meet him. It was all easy. We were in the car at about 10:30 am and at our hotel by 11:15. We were very pleased with the service and price.