Empress of the Seas - December 10

Rae Chull

This boat is rocking - not in an AC/DC kind of way!!! How many of you are on this ship right now or in the Western Caribbean? This boat has been rocking like crazy for about 12 hours. I’m wondering when it’s expected to calm down. Is this normal on a smaller ship? Is this happening on any other ships in the same area today? I believe 1/3 or more of our passengers are in their room sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Gary (Cruise Wizard) posted on our Brilliance thread, they just came off the Rhapsody into Tampa this morning. Same thing...lots of wild rocking to and fro with many sick passengers.

We leave on Brilliance tomorrow...hoping the seas calm down overnight. :o

Gary (Cruise Wizard) posted on our Brilliance thread, they just came off the Rhapsody into Tampa this morning. Same thing...lots of wild rocking to and fro with many sick passengers.

We leave on Brilliance tomorrow...hoping the seas calm down overnight. :o

Pack enough of the all day Dramamine to take two and have everyone covered for the entire trip. I started mine when the Seas got choppy. I was feeling fine when I started them and never got sick (it’s been about 15 hours of rocking so far). Despite the pills claiming to be the “less drowsy” formula I am a little sleepy and napping a bit. But, I haven’t been sick at all. My husband waited to take them until he was sick and has been fighting all day to leave the room. He made it out twice and had to go straight back. The ship looks like a ghost town. I believe most are in their rooms. I’ve had crew tell me they’ve not experienced this much rocking before. Sorry to be a bummer but I suggest you being proactive instead of optimistic. Also, I’ve taken the advice of a career sailor I met in Ireland. Spend a lot of time outside looking at the horizon. It helps your brain do something (I can’t remember what though - lol). It’s a little chilly not super cold. We are from MI and comfortable out on the deck in t-shirts and shorts/skirts. It’s not snowing here and that’s great :)

"This boat has been rocking like crazy for about 12 hours. I’m wondering when it’s expected to calm down. Is this normal on a smaller ship?"

It's normal on any ship

We had at least a dozen experienced cruisers, prior to this first cruise, tell us that we’d never feel the ship moving. Last Sunday was INSANE. Most of the passengers were not feeling well. It was hard to even walk down the hall. During shows you could see the curtains moving constantly. In our room the hangers never stopped moving that day. I grew up in a lake, I’ve been on plenty of boats. I’ve been on the Great Lakes and in rough waters in Ireland - neither of us minded the rocking there. We didn’t foresee this as a problem for an entire cruise day.

Thank you for letting me know it is like that on any ship. Prior to this were about to book a 13 day Eastern Med with Celebrity but I think maybe we’ll be better off sticking to what we are used to and touring Europe by land. I’m glad we took a sample cruise first. The staff was wonderful. The bars were really cool. There were definitely positives.

Right!! Lmbo.... they sure think they are. So it’s either they haven’t been on the number they say they have or they were trying to spin it to say what they thought we wanted to hear. I always prefer raw truth. I love the water but having a large portion of the passengers sick for the entire second day of our cruise was really gross. Thank you all for tolerating me through this new experience. You were all very helpful. Enjoy your future cruises.

Right!! Lmbo.... they sure think they are. So it’s either they haven’t been on the number they say they have or they were trying to spin it to say what they thought we wanted to hear. I always prefer raw truth. I love the water but having a large portion of the passengers sick for the entire second day of our cruise was really gross. Thank you all for tolerating me through this new experience. You were all very helpful. Enjoy your future cruises.

And odd side note- on our recent Anthem cruise- the one that was restricted due to Noro- the ship has to consider all people getting sick as possible noro. So if that many people are actually sick, the ship can expect a nice review of cleaning.

Hope it smooths out. And if you are lucky enough to not get sick- I think that's a great gift to have. I wish we would not get sick if the ship is moving around....