Lobster or Lobster roll N E and Canada

hunt182644

Carol

Ahh, yes, we did speak a bout it, didn't we. :)

Nice to see you posting.

Also, we compared notes about the small place in charlottetown PEI on the corner of Prince and Water Streets. :) Wonderful steamers... The Best, IMO>

Yes, it was the little place in Charlottesville I’m thinking of, but I can’t recall the name of that one either. We stopped there on the way up and back. I recall we had cold weather on that cruise, but I ate steamed lobster in every port. I was lobstered out.

Tough decision. While I would always opt for Northumberland Strait lobster over other regions (the water is shallower, and thus warmer), The season is long over in the main part of the strait, and in the western end it closes on October 10.

http://www.tastelobster.ca/images/fishing_regions.pdf

If you are there before October 10, your best option is Charlottetown. The season in District 25 (which includes western PEI) runs until October 10. Lobster can be landed at Summerside which is a reasonable distance from Charlottetown.

That being said, Northumberland Strait lobster that has been trucked from Shediac to anywhere in the Maritimes will still be better than anything you're going to get farther away.

However, the season in Maine runs through the autumn meaning that while the lobsters aren't as good as you'll get in Nova Scotia and PEI in May/June, they will still be fresh caught and in season.

There is a higher proportion of the catch that is soft shelled (while the lobsters are molting), but this should be mitigated by Sept/Oct when their new shells should be starting to firm up.

Yes, it was the little place in Charlottesville I’m thinking of, but I can’t recall the name of that one either. We stopped there on the way up and back. I recall we had cold weather on that cruise, but I ate steamed lobster in every port. I was lobstered out.

Carol, I found the little pamphlet from 'our ' Halifax Restaurnt. it is Salty's and a lovely walk from the ship along the boardwalk to ni e l outdoor pattio as well as indoor restaurant area (if it happens to be a wet d ay).

Carol, I found the little pamphlet from 'our ' Halifax Restaurnt. it is Salty's and a lovely walk from the ship along the boardwalk to ni ce l outdoor pattio as well as indoor restaurant area (if it happens to be a wet d ay).

I'd be glad to trade my bellies for your strips - one for one.

LMA** O :D You are quick!!!! :D

I set myself up for that one@!! Never take on the navy without a good game plan. They'll beat us every time

I do have a fair idea how to 'rumble with the bankers. My DH taught me well. :)

In Halifax, avoid Murphy's on the Water. Basically a tourist trap. Cheaper/better lobster to be found elsewhere. I would highly recommend The Pressgang however I don't recall it being open for lunch.

In Halifax, avoid Murphy's on the Water. Basically a tourist trap. Cheaper/better lobster to be found elsewhere. I would highly recommend The Pressgang however I don't recall it being open for lunch.

The ship sails out of Halifax late afternoon so it is lunch or not............

I've enjoyed every meal I have had at Murphy's in Halifax -- the service has been good, the food has been excellent, and they refill my iced tea without me having to ask. And, as a tourist it's easy to find and is walking distance from the ship, especially now that Halifax has the lovely boardwalk all the way from the cruise ship terminal to Historic Properties. I don't care if it is touristy -- when I'm in Halifax, or Bar Harbor, or Charlottetown, I am a tourist. It's like when people come to New Orleans and want to go to Mother's or Café du Monde. As a local, I think those are tourist traps and not very good, so I direct people to other, in my opinion, better restaurants, but tourists want to go to the places they have heard of. So let them. It leaves the local places free for locals.

I am so with you.......

I laugh when people say gthey dont go to tourist places when in Paris, Rome, etc......we ARE tourists and that is usually why we are there...... to see St. Peter's, Vatican museum or Eiffel tower. etc .........

The Rusty Anchor in Pleasant Bay on the Cabot Trail ( port of Sydney) Nova Scotia had the best lobster roll. Large chunks of meat on a nice toasted roll. I had a lobster roll in each port on our Canada/NE cruise and this was the best in my opinion.

Though we often have lunch ashore in many (most ?) ports, We have always gone back on the ship for lunch when in Sydney. I don't think we ever went by a restaurant that called out to us.

Though we often have lunch ashore in many (most ?) ports, We have always gone back on the ship for lunch when in Sydney. I don't think we ever went by a restaurant that called out to us.

In B ar Harbor, Halifax, Charlottetown, Quebec City and Montreal, always lunch ashore. :)

In B ar Harbor, Halifax, Charlottetown, Quebec City and Montreal, always lunch ashore. :)

Thanks to you Sail, we learned about Salty's in Halifax, and to ask for the clams with the bellies at Legal Seafood in Boston. As we say in the south...'Bless your heart'!

Thanks to you Sail, we learned about Salty's in Halifax, and to ask for the clams with the bellies at Legal Seafood in Boston. As we say in the south...'Bless your heart'!

Glad I could add to your culinary enjoyment, Good food is one of life's great pleasures, IMO :)

Coming from Arizona & California I had never had a whole Lobster.Watch out for the boiling water coming from the lobster.

From now on only Lobster Tails.

Growing up in New England, many of us learned how to pull apart a whole lobster and get all the meat out at a very early age. :)

This thread is getting me thinking about our traditional Christmas Eve lobster dinner - I better reserve a few at The Fisherman's Net.

Get your order for lobsters placed and have a wonderful Christmas Eve feast. :)

I live in Halifax, and one of my favourite seafood restaurants close to the cruise port is McKelvie’s. If you are renting a car and driving towards Peggy’s Cove, then I recommend a small family restaurant called Shaw’s Landing on Prospect a Road in West Dover. Charming, rustic, no frills, great seafood and friendly service! They have a lobster grilled cheese sandwich to die for. Just saying [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums