Cruising Costa with a baby.. passport question

Lauderdale257

We’re cruising Costa the beginning. We’re bringinh our (who will be) 9 month old son. Dad and I both have passports. Ports of call are Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel and Progresso, I know a passport is recommended in case of an emergency. But, is it required on Costa for him to have a passport? We are embarking and disembarking from Fort Lauderdale, we are all US citizens

I have never understood the reluctance of Americans of getting a passport, some say the cost - but spread over 10 years the cost is peanuts compared to a cruise.

Anyway, I'll try and help, the follow paragraph is taken from

https://www.costacruise.com/B2C/USA/Before_you_go/general/Documents/USEFULinfo_2017.pdf

page 9:

CARIBBEAN CRUISES

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) requires American and Canadian travelers to present a passport or other document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the U.S. The WHTI proposed rules require U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or other travel documents approved by the Department of Homeland Security. Children 17 years of age and under must also present a valid passport, passport card, or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security. Guests without proper travel documents will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of cruise fare will be given to any guest failing to bring the required documentation.

I think it owuld be best that you clarify the situation with Homeland Security Department.

I personally would get the baby a passport and try and get it stamped at each port of call, will make a great momento to relive your travels when the baby is older.

Have a great cruise.

We’re cruising Costa the beginning. We’re bringinh our (who will be) 9 month old son. Dad and I both have passports. Ports of call are Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel and Progresso, I know a passport is recommended in case of an emergency. But, is it required on Costa for him to have a passport? We are embarking and disembarking from Fort Lauderdale, we are all US citizens

Have you contacted Costa?

What did they say?

Unfortunately, I am in the same situation and cruising soon.

We cruised with Carnival this summer and we just needed an official birth certificate. Carnival owns Costa, so was not expecting different rules.

What did they say?

We cruised with Carnival this summer and we just needed an official birth certificate. Carnival owns Costa, so was not expecting different rules.

Carnival Cruises do not own Costa, carnival Corporation plc does.

Both cruise lines have their headquarters in different countries and their ships are registered in different countries, both of which take precident over Carnival Corporation.

What did they say?

She said his birth certificate will be fine. To bypass it for online check in put his full dob with 00000 to fill in the missing numbers under the identification part. Issue date is his dob and exp date is next years birth date. However we have decided to expedite a passport just because we see world wide travel in our near future.

She said his birth certificate will be fine. To bypass it for online check in put his full dob with 00000 to fill in the missing numbers under the identification part. Issue date is his dob and exp date is next years birth date. However we have decided to expedite a passport just because we see world wide travel in our near future.

Thank you. They fixed it for us, as you indicated.

We will likely get his passport done soon as well.

Cheers to World Wide Travel!!!!