Showers vs Bathtubs - Latest Ships

drowelf

I was looking at some cruises for 2019 and one of interest is on the New Statendam. But digging into the room layouts, it seems that all the cabins below Signature Suites are shower only. This is a deal breaker for the DW, who has to have a tub for bathing.

Anyone know if any Vistas or Verandahs on the K-Dam class ships have bathtubs? If none do, then we probably won't ever be sailing on them.

Cheers,

We did the calm fall Trans Atlantic on the Koningsdam, sister ship to the Nieu Statendam. We were in a Signature Suite on the sunny port side amid ship.

Prior to this, our 14th cruise, we were regulars on the Vista class HAL ships also in the Signature Suites.

While the Vista class and the Maasdam had a U shaped bathtub/shower with a curtain and a shower stall too the Koningsdam and I presume the Nieu Statendam have a different washroom configuration.

The Jacuzzi tub is V shaped that was designed for a small to medium posterior ( so my BH says). There is no curtain or showerhead in the white tub. A pull up wand is available that if not used carefully will spray water onto the bathroom floor.

The shower stall at the end of the tub is meant for a slim and svelte person. I dropped my facecloth twice and had to open the glass door, back out soaking wet onto the bathroom floor, pick up the offending mini towel and return

to finish my ablations!!??

I am 5ft 10 in. tall and 215lb.

Needless to say we will be returning to the Vista class Signature suites and will leave the Pinnacle class ships to the slim crowd.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Bob

Bathtubs cost more than showers, take more space than showers, and use more expensive water than showers.

In HAL's endless quest to save a buck, all the new ships will have fewer and fewer bath tubs, and in each dry dock, more bath tubs are removed and replaced by showers.

Any details on what ships and cabin types are/have gone shower only during recent dry docks. This kinda sucks, as DW does not like showers at all.

Will be glad when Holland removes all the bath tubs.

Me too, they are an accident waiting to happen, unless you only use it while the ship is docked.

And the more expensive rooms are even worse, high-sided tubs [whirlpools/jacuzzis] that someone short - plus with bad knees - can't possibly get into.

• Like 1

Just think how luxurious the shower could be if the space wasted on a bath rub was used for a shower?
I don't see how you figure that. The footprint of the shower stalls on the K-dam are about the same as a tub, and certainly aren't "luxurious".

I don't see how you figure that. The footprint of the shower stalls on the K-dam are about the same as a tub, and certainly aren't "luxurious".

Simply this. Take the space allocated to the tub and the space allocated to the shower. Combine them. Now you have a real shower. The best showers I've seen on a cruise ship were those in the Crown Loft Suites on Oasis of the Seas. (several videos on youtube).

Simply this. Take the space allocated to the tub and the space allocated to the shower. Combine them. Now you have a real shower. The best showers I've seen on a cruise ship were those in the Crown Loft Suites on Oasis of the Seas. (several videos on youtube).

Yeah, but on HAL the only cabins that have separate Shower/Tubs are Neptune's and above and that is a small percentage of the total cabin space on a ship. Every other room that has both they are already combined and I agree that I don't see them being luxurious if you made it a shower only in the same space.

And as I stated in my original post, no tub is a deal-breaker for the DW, she does not take showers. Just like you have not used a tub in years, my wife has probably had a dozen or so showers in the same time frame.

Its a matter of personal preference to a large degree. No tubs in the room class we normally book, means we will decline to give HAL our business for a cruise on a K-Dam class ship. If the trend extends to retrofits on other ships, then we might have to forgo HAL in the future for cruising.

• 6 years later...

Old thread, but excited to find it. I am on the opposite quest as the original poster.  NO BATHTUBS for us.  We cannot step over that bathtub edge on a moving ship every day.  One, and possibly both of us, would most definitely bruise a leg and/or fall.

I had completely taken HAL off of our possible 2025 cruise wish list because of the dreaded bathtubs, but now it looks like I need to dig further into each specific ship floor plan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

Old thread, but excited to find it. I am on the opposite quest as the original poster.  NO BATHTUBS for us.  We cannot step over that bathtub edge on a moving ship every day.  One, and possibly both of us, would most definitely bruise a leg and/or fall.

I had completely taken HAL off of our possible 2025 cruise wish list because of the dreaded bathtubs, but now it looks like I need to dig further into each specific ship floor plan.

Oh, gosh.  Most of the ships have been updated with beautiful glass walk in showers.  You simply need to check the deck plans. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is always the accessible cabin option. Although we don’t need one we have ended up in accessible cabins twice. (We don’t book very far out) We’ve always been satisfied with them but this was on other lines. 

I’ve only been on one Pinnacle Class ship, but have found Shower Only cabins on a lot of the other HAL ships.  Sometimes they aren’t on my preferred Deck and/or location, but they are there.  You do have to study the Deck Plans (l think an Asterisk is the usual key for Shower Only).  I also think they tend to be Forward or Aft cabins, but could be wrong since I haven’t sailed every HAL vessel.

• Thanks 1

A lot of the ships have had their insides, OV’s changed to shower only.

Pinnacle ships are that way unless you book high up.

The shower on the Pinnacle Class is nice but some of us would rather a long soak.  It is what it is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

A lot of the ships have had their insides, OV’s changed to shower only.

Pinnacle ships are that way unless you book high up.

The shower on the Pinnacle Class is nice but some of us would rather a long soak.  It is what it is.

Jacqui, the insides on ALL ship classes except Pinnacle have ALWAYS had showers, albeit the tiny corner type with a cloth curtain.  The bathrooms on those ships are too small anyway to be updated to the large glassed-in Pinnacle-class type showers.  However, you are correct that the most of the OVs are updated, had their standard 60-inch tubs removed and the large showers installed. 

I know this because I'm a poor solo, so have spent my early HAL years on R-class and S-class ships in interiors😉.

1 minute ago, AV8rix said:

Jacqui, the insides on ALL ship classes except Pinnacle have ALWAYS had showers, albeit the tiny corner type with a cloth curtain.  The bathrooms on those ships are too small anyway to be updated to the large glassed-in Pinnacle-class type showers.  However, you are correct that the most of the OVs are updated, had their standard 60-inch tubs removed and the large showers installed. 

I know this because I'm a poor solo, so have spent my early HAL years on R-class and S-class ships in interiors😉.

Thanks - I’ve done very cabin on HAL but an interior.  

I don’t have the nerve (yet) even as a solo and prefer a tub if I can swing it (pretty tough now).

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

Jacqui, the insides on ALL ship classes except Pinnacle have ALWAYS had showers, albeit the tiny corner type with a cloth curtain.  The bathrooms on those ships are too small anyway to be updated to the large glassed-in Pinnacle-class type showers. 

Especially on the R-class ships, I don't find the showers small. True, on the Prinsendam they were real  corner showers, but for the most part they are more of a rectangle than a triangle---just with a part of a corner cut off. 
I'm a generously sized woman, and have never found any of the HAL showers, on any of the classes of ships, to be too small for comfortable use. 

It's not the the bathrooms are smaller in the insides, as compared to the outside cabins, it's that the shower/sink and tub/sink footprints are reversed. The insides put the sink and vanity where the tub goes in outside cabins, giving the vanity area a lot more storage. 

• Like 1