College Sports on EPIC?

KellyKozma87

You can pretend that is the case but it isn't. Sports, especially football, has a huge following that consistently fills stadiums, sports bars and living rooms around the nation. I have been on plenty of cruises that showed football games and many times it was was standing room only. So, since the majority of Americans self identify as sports fans lets not pretend those same people don't cruise.

It is one of the few interests that transcends gender, race, cultural boundaries, education and even political beliefs.

fvr-rmuatuo0kblybvk4ig.png

-8mzpr6utk6tdgu9mlsy6q.png

Maybe not the best poll to use to support an argument regarding college football (or any particular sport). It only asks about being a "sports fan." So, that would include all sorts of sports from football to basketball to soccer to cricket to track to .....

I'm a Buckeye sports fan. But, I can DVR the important games and not eat up my cruise time.

Finally, "standing room" only in a bar (or two) on some mega-ship with thousands of passengers is pretty much a "rounding error."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe not the best poll to use to support an argument regarding college football (or any particular sport). It only asks about being a "sports fan." So, that would include all sorts of sports from football to basketball to soccer to cricket to track to .....

I'm a Buckeye sports fan. But, I can DVR the important games and not eat up my cruise time.

Finally, "standing room" only in a bar (or two) on some mega-ship with thousands of passengers is pretty much a "rounding error."

It might be a rounding error, but the point is if American sports are shown on a US based cruise, people are going to take the time to watch it.

Was just on the Epic a couple weeks ago (Dec. 2-9) and they showed an NFL game at 1pm, 4pm, and 8pm on Sunday, the Monday night game, and the Thursday night game. O’Sheehans was packed for every game they showed. Some were fans of the teams playing, complete with jerseys, hats, and other team apparel. Most (like me) we’re watching because we’re fans of the game.

Fans of the game might be more inclined to cruise in mid January if they know there’s a good chance they will be able to see their teams playoff game while on that ship.

I know this thread is focusing on college football, but this topic could be about any of the ‘big four’ American sports in addition to college sports (mainly football and basketball). I understand that they wouldn’t show sports all day, every day but I think big games...like final four, bowl games, playoff games/series would be a huge draw.

Random NFL games were a huge draw on my cruise, but then, the NFL is the most popular spectator sport in the US.

It might be a rounding error, but the point is if American sports are shown on a US based cruise, people are going to take the time to watch it.

Was just on the Epic a couple weeks ago (Dec. 2-9) and they showed an NFL game at 1pm, 4pm, and 8pm on Sunday, the Monday night game, and the Thursday night game. O’Sheehans was packed for every game they showed. Some were fans of the teams playing, complete with jerseys, hats, and other team apparel. Most (like me) we’re watching because we’re fans of the game.

Fans of the game might be more inclined to cruise in mid January if they know there’s a good chance they will be able to see their teams playoff game while on that ship.

I know this thread is focusing on college football, but this topic could be about any of the ‘big four’ American sports in addition to college sports (mainly football and basketball). I understand that they wouldn’t show sports all day, every day but I think big games...like final four, bowl games, playoff games/series would be a huge draw.

Random NFL games were a huge draw on my cruise, but then, the NFL is the most popular spectator sport in the US.

Econ 101:

Huge draw? Draw for what? The passengers are a captive audience.

The ship will fill up based primarily on itinerary and price. Again, the number of folks for whom sports on TV is a "deal breaker" is negligible (and, if lost, they are easily replaced);

Showing pro/college sports outside of regular broadcast contracts cost money;

Ergo, no unnecessary extra cost (to the ship) items (unless the cruise line wants to do payperview at some outrageous price that adds to their bottom line.

Econ 101:

The ship will fill up based primarily on itinerary and price. Again, the number of folks for whom sports on TV is a "deal breaker" is negligible (and, if lost, they are easily replaced);

Showing pro/college sports outside of regular broadcast contracts cost money;

Ergo, no unnecessary extra cost (to the ship) items (unless the cruise line wants to do payperview at some outrageous price that adds to their bottom line.

The booking scenarios are valid points. Cruisers that would book based on sporting events would probably top out at 0.5%, lol.

What Pro/college games are shown outside of regular broadcast contracts? All the games I’ve mentioned are on standard cable broadcast. Obviously, the Epic at least, has access to FOX, CBS, NBC, and ESPN. one can assume that they also have access to ABC. Those five channels will get you access to every major sporting event broadcast in the US, including NASCAR, along with tennis and golf majors. Contracts are between the sports leagues and the broadcasters. If NCL is paying for access to the channels through a standard cable contract, it doesn’t cost them anything extra to show what those channels are broadcasting. Pay per view is usually for fighting sports. Boxing, MMA, etc.

Look, all I’m saying is that if (American) cruisers knew they would be able to watch sports, it’s another draw to NCL. Another ‘perk’, if you will.

I don’t think it’ll ever happen, but if NCL started setting aside space for a dedicated sports bar, with as sports-centric as Americans are, it would stay packed from open to close.

The booking scenarios are valid points. Cruisers that would book based on sporting events would probably top out at 0.5%, lol.

What Pro/college games are shown outside of regular broadcast contracts? All the games I’ve mentioned are on standard cable broadcast. Obviously, the Epic at least, has access to FOX, CBS, NBC, and ESPN. one can assume that they also have access to ABC. Those five channels will get you access to every major sporting event broadcast in the US, including NASCAR, along with tennis and golf majors. Contracts are between the sports leagues and the broadcasters. If NCL is paying for access to the channels through a standard cable contract, it doesn’t cost them anything extra to show what those channels are broadcasting. Pay per view is usually for fighting sports. Boxing, MMA, etc.

Look, all I’m saying is that if (American) cruisers knew they would be able to watch sports, it’s another draw to NCL. Another ‘perk’, if you will.

I don’t think it’ll ever happen, but if NCL started setting aside space for a dedicated sports bar, with as sports-centric as Americans are, it would stay packed from open to close.

Not quite as easy as you may think. Even if a cruise line may have a contract with a network, there may be an exclusion of certain broadcasts if associated with a business (I.e., a cruise line). Sort of like "regional black outs."

Cruise lines do just fine without American focused sports. Don't hold your breath.

Now, maybe if it was the Kentucky Derby or the Olympics???? But, even then, how would that improve the ship's bottom line income? Passengers drink whether the bar is or is not showing something on the TV. In fact, they probably do better with the higher turnover when there's nothing to keep folks planted.

Not quite as easy as you may think. Even if a cruise line may have a contract with a network, there may be an exclusion of certain broadcasts if associated with a business (I.e., a cruise line). Sort of like "regional black outs."

Cruise lines do just fine without American focused sports. Don't hold your breath.

Now, maybe if it was the Kentucky Derby or the Olympics???? But, even then, how would that improve the ship's bottom line income? Passengers drink whether the bar is or is not showing something on the TV. In fact, they probably do better with the higher turnover when there's nothing to keep folks planted.

Ahh. Hadn’t thought about that. You could be right.

And yes, they do quite well even not showing American sports. That’s why I said I didn’t think a sports bar would ever happen. O’Sheehans is the closest we’re gonna get, lol.

Ya know, I just happen to be down here in Miami working for the next couple of months. The hotel I’m staying in is right next door to Carnival’s corporate HQ. And earlier today I drove by NCL’s HQ while on a hardware run.

If I can find the time, I think I’ll stop by and see if anyone will talk to me about this subject. I’m just curious enough (and extremely sport-centric enough!) to waste the time trying, lol.

Good talk, Flatbush Flyer!

Ahh. Hadn’t thought about that. You could be right.

And yes, they do quite well even not showing American sports. That’s why I said I didn’t think a sports bar would ever happen. O’Sheehans is the closest we’re gonna get, lol.

Ya know, I just happen to be down here in Miami working for the next couple of months. The hotel I’m staying in is right next door to Carnival’s corporate HQ. And earlier today I drove by NCL’s HQ while on a hardware run.

If I can find the time, I think I’ll stop by and see if anyone will talk to me about this subject. I’m just curious enough (and extremely sport-centric enough!) to waste the time trying, lol.

Good talk, Flatbush Flyer!

Go Buckeyes!

You can pretend that is the case but it isn't. Sports, especially football, has a huge following that consistently fills stadiums, sports bars and living rooms around the nation. I have been on plenty of cruises that showed football games and many times it was was standing room only. So, since the majority of Americans self identify as sports fans lets not pretend those same people don't cruise.

It is one of the few interests that transcends gender, race, cultural boundaries, education and even political beliefs.

fvr-rmuatuo0kblybvk4ig.png

-8mzpr6utk6tdgu9mlsy6q.png

of course you are right. As I have said before, for those who are not sports fans, there are a lot of bars throughout the ship to have a drink or two. Not all bars have to show games, but especially the big games, should be shown in at least one bar.

Go Buckeyes!

ok, so you are a Buckeye fan, you say you can tape the game and watch it when the cruise is over. Of course you can, but watching a game when we know the results isn't the same as watching it when it is being played. For you that might work, but we are talking about overall. Of course no one is going to base a cruise on whether there will be sports on the TVs in the bars or cabins. This isn't the point. It seems like you are putting more into it than others.What we are all saying is: why can't we enjoy a game while on a ship? It is a pet peeve some fans have. You may be a Ohio State fan, but it appears you are really not the type of fan that does love the sport.

ok, so you are a Buckeye fan, you say you can tape the game and watch it when the cruise is over. Of course you can, but watching a game when we know the results isn't the same as watching it when it is being played. For you that might work, but we are talking about overall. Of course no one is going to base a cruise on whether there will be sports on the TVs in the bars or cabins. This isn't the point. It seems like you are putting more into it than others.What we are all saying is: why can't we enjoy a game while on a ship? It is a pet peeve some fans have. You may be a Ohio State fan, but it appears you are really not the type of fan that does love the sport.

Let me know when the Dodgers move back to Brooklyn and maybe I'd be interested in live sports on a TV on a cruise ship.

In any case, please remember that cruise lines are businesses. Why else would they fly "flags of convenience?"

Let me know when the Dodgers move back to Brooklyn and maybe I'd be interested in live sports on a TV on a cruise ship.

In any case, please remember that cruise lines are businesses. Why else would they fly "flags of convenience?"

of course you are right about that. This is why I say we are disappointed about the sports viewing or lack of same but it certainly has nothing to do with whether we will cruise at a given time of year.

As for the Dodgers, you are allowed to be a fan even if you don't live on the west coast. Just ask hubby and me. :D:halo:

of course you are right about that. This is why I say we are disappointed about the sports viewing or lack of same but it certainly has nothing to do with whether we will cruise at a given time of year.

As for the Dodgers, you are allowed to be a fan even if you don't live on the west coast. Just ask hubby and me. :D:halo:

But I do live on the west coast where our local team is that old "upstate" NY team, the Giants.

Trivia question for you as a dodger fan: do you know how they got that name?

The problem is NCL does not carry ESPN International. It carries a Sports channel out of the UK, so you are stuck with soccer, cricket and other sports. On our Escape cruise during Thanksgiving, I did see one NBA game shown on the Sports channel. They showed all of the nationally-televised NFL games, but ZERO college basketball or football games.

Princess and Carnival carry ESPN and I was able to watch select games during our cruises with those lines. It's not a great look for NCL, but it's not a deal-breaker either. But they should carry U.S. sports, given most of its passengers are Americans, especially on itineraries out of NYC and Miami.

But I do live on the west coast where our local team is that old "upstate" NY team, the Giants.

Trivia question for you as a dodger fan: do you know how they got that name?

Nope I do not; probably read it in one of my many dodger books but my memory sometimes goes wandering away for a few days or years.:confused: Let me add, our oldest daughter was almost born at a Dodger world series game in 1959. We are originally from L.A. but we did live in the bay area for 5 years, in the 60s. It was HELL being a Dodger and a Rams fan living in Marin County. :cool:

Nope I do not; probably read it in one of my many dodger books but my memory sometimes goes wandering away for a few days or years.:confused: Let me add, our oldest daughter was almost born at a Dodger world series game in 1959. We are originally from L.A. but we did live in the bay area for 5 years, in the 60s. It was HELL being a Dodger and a Rams fan living in Marin County. :cool:

Ebbet's Field was situated adjacent to Empire Blvd., which was early on a major thoroughfare for street trolleys with multiple sets of tracks needing to be traversed in order to get to the stadium. Yes, that's right: The Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gizmodo.com/the-la-dodgers-got-their-name-from-brooklyns-deadly-str-1687077696/amp

How about this?

jqel9stkte6-s9efysrqdq.gif

6brgg2uapuwyy5fw_f9odq.gif

Ebbet's Field was situated adjacent to Empire Blvd., which was early on a major thoroughfare for street trolleys with multiple sets of tracks needing to be traversed in order to get to the stadium. Yes, that's right: The Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gizmodo.com/the-la-dodgers-got-their-name-from-brooklyns-deadly-str-1687077696/amp

great story. Thanks