Royal app

cjmx

Hi folks , is it true that Royal has a smart phone app for cruise passengers that allows passengers on board to text each Free of charge??? Similar to the Costa cruises??

Any info here?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes on the app but the texting is not free, $8 per device. That app only works on Q class and Harmony.

That’s 8 per device for the week, not per day , correct

?

We are planning on going on the royal allure, so this is most helpful

I wonder why some people are talking about bringing walky talkies, perhaps this was implemented afterwards, hmm

That’s 8 per device for the week, not per day , correct

?

We are planning on going on the royal allure, so this is most helpful

I wonder why some people are talking about bringing walky talkies, perhaps this was implemented afterwards, hmm

It's for the week but not currently available on Allure.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

There are two apps - Royal IQ which has the texting feature but is unlikely to be rolled out to any other existing ship and RCI app which Allure already has but does not have the texting feature. Don't know if the texting feature will be added to the RCI app by next summer.

We had a free texting app on the Caribbean Princess this summer. It was great as it allowed us to keep up with where the 6 of us in our party were. That's a bummer that Royal doesn't offer it for free. :( There's always sticky notes or a white board to leave messages on, but definitely not as convenient.

can't speak as to RoyalIQ app but last month we sailed on NCL and they had a similar app which was $10/week...it worked ok for viewing reservation openings and onboard account balances but the texting was spotty; i.e., sometimes the texts wouldn't go through, so it was kind of hit or miss...I would still get the app if I went on NCL again or on Harmony, but I wonder if the Royal app is more reliable than the NCL one I had on Escape

I downloaded the app to my iphone on HOS last week. I didn't pay anything and just thought I would use it to keep track of activities. Surprisingly, I was able to imessage my husband on board and my friends and family not on board. I kept it on airplane mode and the wifi was turned on to use the app. I was not able to text with my son or anyone else who did not have an Iphone. I had this same experience on Princess with their app but the imessage only worked when outside on deck. On HOS it worked everywhere.

Seems simple. Costa cruises has been doing this for sometime.

As does Disney and MSC who also do not charge for this onboard messaging service through their respective apps. (My family frequently cruises with Disney and we love their Navigator app!)

Here are links to download Royal IQ for Anthem, Ovation, Quantum, Harmony of the Seas and the RCI app for Allure, Oasis of the Seas.

As does Disney and MSC who also do not charge for this onboard messaging service through their respective apps. (My family frequently cruises with Disney and we love their Navigator app!)

Here are links to download Royal IQ for Anthem, Ovation, Quantum, Harmony of the Seas and the RCI app for Allure, Oasis of the Seas.

Any idea when/if it will be able to be used on the FREEDOM? I will be sailing in February 2018 with another family and it would be great to be able to be connected while on board.

Any idea when/if it will be able to be used on the FREEDOM? I will be sailing in February 2018 with another family and it would be great to be able to be connected while on board.

The cruise line has not publicly released any schedule for the deployment of the Royal App.

I'm torn about this. One of the things I always liked about being on the cruise was that I got to detach from my electronics. While the IQ app had some communication advantages, it means that I have to carry my phone everywhere. I'm thinking I'd rather tape a mini white board to my cabin door.

Virtually no chance the RCI app will be on Freedom that soon and zero chance for the Royal IQ app.

• 2 weeks later...
I downloaded the app to my iphone on HOS last week. I didn't pay anything and just thought I would use it to keep track of activities. Surprisingly, I was able to imessage my husband on board and my friends and family not on board. I kept it on airplane mode and the wifi was turned on to use the app. I was not able to text with my son or anyone else who did not have an Iphone. I had this same experience on Princess with their app but the imessage only worked when outside on deck. On HOS it worked everywhere.

So you never got charged? Hubby & i headed to Anthem next week, and we both downloaded it. Hope it works thst way for us too!

RCI really needs to get with the program here and offer a way to communicate intra-ship. This is something that shocked me even back in 2012 on our very first cruise. This is a real headache when we travel with our kids, let alone with other adults

Dan

So you never got charged? Hubby & i headed to Anthem next week, and we both downloaded it. Hope it works thst way for us too!

My understanding is that the Royal IQ app and iPhone iMessaging use the same protocols for now. So Royal can't block iMessages without blocking their own app. So those with iPhones get free iMessages on the Quantum class ships. I don't know if this technical quirk is also in effect for the ships using the Royal non-IQ app.