How hooked are you??

easy1969

So i started cruising at 12 with my family, by the time i was 18 had been on 4. Then cruised in my early twenties and then decided i loved it so much i worked onboard for 4 years working my way up to CD. Now at 38 i still try and cruise at least once a year. Next is jan 21st on the dream

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Oh my freakin... hooked is an understatement. My first was 2004 at 17 with my best friend & her family (their first too & still hooked 12 years later). I vowed then & there to come back. Life happened, I fell pregnant just a few months later. Fast forward...

My second was August 2012. Just over 5 years later, I've just finished my 8th cruise. My 9th is coming in March. My 2 kids went on their first three in an 18 month span. They beg for their fourth everyday. They know I have my next scheduled without them & they are mad. I have raised 2 monsters.

I met my current boyfriend of now over a year onboard the Splendor. It was his first cruise. March will be his third cruise overall & our 3rd together. I raised another addict. My parents say all the time that it's obvious I'd find my person on a cruise.

Earlier today I was actually thinking about the amount of cash I'd have in my bank account if I had never been introduced to cruising... pffft... move over Melania...

My first cruise was suppose to be my high school graduation gift in 2010. My parents were determined that they were not going on a cruise, so they paid for half of my older cousins way to take me with them. The cruise ended up getting delayed until 2011. I was hooked from the moment that I saw the ship!

I'm constantly looking at cruise critic, ship cams, you tube videos, etc.

I finally talked my mom into one in 2014. She really enjoyed it too. I'm going on cruise number 7 in 12 days and will be my moms cruise #2.

I had never even thought about cruising before. We had some friends take us on one almost 2 years ago and had the time of our lives!

About to go on our second just the wife and I, and I can't wait. Everything about cruising fits us so well, we were never really "vacation" people beforehand. I love all the activities, the food, the atmosphere, getting to see new countries, it's really amazing.

Hooked? I'm already looking at cruises for 2019 and beyond... :D

I am 47 years old and over the years I often thought or taking a cruise but never did till April 2010. It was a short 5 day out of Mobile on the Fantasy.

To put it mildly I was addicted from the moment I saw the ship from the hotel the morning of the cruise. My wife and I had a wonderful time on that first cruise and even now we still love the Fantasy.

since that first cruise in 2010 we have been on a total of 10 cruises and have 2 more booked.

I only wish that I had discovered cruising years ago.

I am truly addicted to cruising. If I don't have a future cruse booked it drives me crazy, I can't sleep, eat, or think straight. I will sit for hours in front of a computer looking at ships and ports until I hit the book now button and get my fix, then the slow countdown to the cruise date begins.

once the cruise is over the whole process starts again. I see no hope of a cure. all I can do is treat the symptoms with more days at sea.

I assume that many here suffer from the same addiction, if so how long can you go without having a future cruise booked???

I'm so hooked that I'm getting antsy and my sister won't make up her mind about our cruise in April. I know in my heart that there are plenty of rooms and but I'm control freak to know that I want a confirmation number in my email box. :o

I never thought we would like it, never saw the appeal. Then started trying to find an affordable vacation for DH and I to go without the kids. Decided to try a cruise, then felt guilty and booked the kids with us. That was in August 2015.

There was just something so appealing about unplugging, spending time as a family, having a perfect mix of family time and using the kids club to get adult only time. Loved meeting people, the crew, everything. We were spoiled because we had booked an ocean view and got an upgrade call to a suite, that we took. I didn't know we were hooked and thought about taking another, but maybe a land vacation, just couldn't decide. Then booked on a whim and of course we are hooked now.

Went on another with just DH in Oct 2016

Took the kids and grandparents in April 2017

Had a rough few weeks at work, booked vacation with the kids in August 2017

And decided to make cruising at least once a year with just DH and I an annual tradition, booked again Nov 2017.

We have the Breeze booked for August 2018 but I'm really wishing we had the funds and time to go on another to break up that LONG delay. 243 more days. :) As my screen name says, cheer takes up most of our budget and time, so I think we will have no choice but to wait out that LONG wait. I laugh now at how I resisted cruising for so long. Probably a good thing for my budget.

Took my first cruise in 2009 on the Carnival Triumph, 5 Day to Canada from NYC was 15 at the time and was hooked the moment I saw that ship sitting at the pier.

Since then I've been on 6 ships between two cruise lines. Been to the Canada/New England, Caribbean, Alaska, Bermuda & Bahamas. Best to date was Alaska, memories of a life time I have with my mom from that sailing.

At 23, I work retail and every so often I get the idea to drop it and to go work on a ship, want to say I did it at least once.

Along with the addiction I have some personal goals, sailing particular ships and now that I'm old enough I'm already planning a possible trip with my boyfriend in the future. It's truly the best vacation ever.

• 1 year later...
38 minutes ago, easy1969 said:

I  love hearing about how folks go on first cruise and are hooked for life.

Hey neighbor.

That would be me. I went on 4 cruises within 7 months of booking my first. I've always loved the ocean but living in KY didn't get to see it but once every year or two. Taking a cruise was always on my bucket list. We took our first on our 20th Anniversary.  My husband said he literally could see 10 years lift off my face after we cruised. That was it we were hooked. We would happily live on a cruise ship if we could afford it. 

I am a travel enthusiast, and enjoy resorts and tramping in addition to cruising.  I have over 50 cruises (360 sea days) since 2003, but probably spent way more time on land vacations.

I enjoy other lands' culture, food and language so I never limit myself to just the immediate sanitized port area.  Early cruising was sometimes a search to determine if a longer land stay would be enjoyable.

So far, my favorite travel memories involve the Tahitian Islands, Australia and New Zealand, and they were NOT made on a cruise.  My favorite cruise memory was on Disney with my twins and their kids.

• Like 1

After this upcoming one, it will be 6 cruises, 39 nights at sea.

First one was in 1986 on Sitmar line, which became Princess the next year. I was 9, and thought the kids club was the coolest place ever. We went to Alaska (15-day round-trip out of San Francisco) with my grandparents, mom (dad stayed home to work), brother, aunt, cousins, and great-aunt. SO MUCH FUN.

It was 18 years later before my next one, which was a belated honeymoon (combined with a bar exam trip) to the Western Caribbean. We were hooked after that!

Alaska 3 years later. Bahamas weekender for our 5th anniversary, then a long hiatus while our kids were little.

We took our first cruise since that 5th anniversary one this past fall, this time bringing the kids. We did a weekender to Ensenada because we weren't sure whether they would like it. We were wrong -- they LOVED it. Just like I adored the kids club, they thought Club Ocean was so amazing.

DH and I will be taking a short 4-day to Catalina and Ensenada one this summer as a belated 15th anniversary (combining it with a night in Palm Springs before). I would have liked to do a longer one, but my parents are watching the kids and it's hard to impose.

Hoping to do Alaska with the kids, parents, and extended family next year, which will make it 7 cruises and 46 nights at sea.

8 hours ago, evandbob said:

I am a travel enthusiast, and enjoy resorts and tramping in addition to cruising.  I have over 50 cruises (360 sea days) since 2003, but probably spent way more time on land vacations.

I enjoy other lands' culture, food and language so I never limit myself to just the immediate sanitized port area.  Early cruising was sometimes a search to determine if a longer land stay would be enjoyable.

So far, my favorite travel memories involve the Tahitian Islands, Australia and New Zealand, and they were NOT made on a cruise.  My favorite cruise memory was on Disney with my twins and their kids.

I too am hooked on travel. I have travelled more on land than on cruises but find I am cruising more frequently now. My favorite vacations have been to Australia, French Polynesia, and Europe. Of course, those favorite vacations occurred in my young adult life when i was way more active than I am now! Most memorable events from those vacations were feeding the sharks on Bora Bora, watching the turtles lay eggs on Heron Island and the fairy penguins come ashore on Philip Island, and visiting many palaces and museums in Europe (plus the awesome food)!

I agree that I am hooked on travel and not just on cruising!!

At this point I mostly cruise because DH is not quite as adventurous as I am and is comfortable on ships rather than flying far to stay on land.

I have done most of that sort of traveling without him!!

I think some areas of the world lend themselves to cruising more than others.

For me ,Europe is too rich in things to see/do in each city so I prefer to be there on land.

The same goes for a country like Japan where you can certainly cruise around it but cannot get the same depth of understanding of culture/food etc. as you can by staying on land.

I love big boats and I can not lie!  I would cruise a lot more but my DH is not as big of a fan as me.  He prefers flying to an all inclusive resort. 

14 cruises - 89 days at sea.  38 days until next cruise (15 cruises - 97 days at sea)

Actually for me, it was over 25 years ago, when my friend and I cruised for the first time on Holland American. To say the least, I have been HOOKED ever since.  I have been blessed to cruise probably over 15 times or more, and was able to take my 3 sons/3 d-i-l's on Carnival just two years ago, where it was an "experience" for them. 🙂 Actually my son and wife (she just told me that she was HOOKED now on cruising as well 🙂 ) will be doing their 2nd one on Carnival the first part of June, and my friend and I will be doing "another" cruise on Carnival, this coming Sunday! YEH!

21 hours ago, Mikvi said:

I started off with one cruise a year, then two, then three, then five. Last year was twelve. Five so far this year with seven more booked. Addiction?

That’s how it happens! Hi, y’all. See you Saturday!😀

We’re 235 cruises, 1,237 days