fort lauderdale

caphum

March, particularly around Easter, is prime tourist season in south FLA -- demand will be high for rooms and so will prices. www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info -- I would start my search there.

If you can provide dates, budget, number of travelers, and a few more details the suggestions from the board will be closer to your target. ;)

I would also review and post this question on the FLA departures board.

Great hotel if you don't care about being on beach that I don't often hear mentioned here is the Riverside Hotel located right in downtown Fort Lauderdale on Las Olas....great spot for evening enjoyment...located right in all the action. You can usually get a pretty good deal on it through Hotwire...its pretty easy to figure...3 star downtown Fort Lauderdale...dog friendly...only one that is dog friendly for downtown.

Not sure it is the best, but on a few people's recommendation, I booked the quality inn and suites airport/cruise port. Decent rate, free breakfast, free shuttle from airport and free shuttle to the cruise port.

I'll add my vote for this one. Reasonable rate, free airport shuttle, and free shuttle to and from the cruiseport; free breakfast was good too and they have a nice outdoor pool. Hotel is at I-95 and Sterling Rd. in Dania Beach (or Hollywood); it's not far from the pier. There's a shopping center right behind it and several fast-food places within an easy walk.

They also have free parking for the duration of the cruise for those who, like us, drive down to S. Florida, when you book the room through stay123.com.

The rate was around $150 for three people, so adding in the free parking and shuttle to/from makes it almost a free stay. :)

We stayed in the Renaissance in August. Really enjoyed our stay and would stay there again.

This is what we liked :

* Near shops and restaurants

* Near Water Taxi stop (for sightseeing HOHO tours)

* Near port entrance (taxi ride is a matter of minutes to terminal)

* Incredibly friendly and helpful staff.

* Pain free check-in / check-out

* Comparing prices when we booked, very reasonable and lower than alternatives in that area.

It isn't the fanciest hotel I have stayed in. One could say limited facilities but I was happy with the accommodation.

BTW they run a shuttle service to the port which you pay for. I found it more convenient to use Uber but you have the option.

A 2nd vote for the Renaissance. I usually use Marriott points to pay for it, but I actually got it this year using my Chase Sapphire card points, which was a 20% discount from Marriott points directly.

I'll also 2nd using an UBER or cab. The van service they offer is a bit of a sh*t show. A cab is nearly the same price, direct (you may have to stop at other terminals before they get to yours), and fits whatever your schedule is perfectly.

'll also say that we LOVE their beds. Some of the most comfortable hotel beds I've used.

Great hotel if you don't care about being on beach that I don't often hear mentioned here is the Riverside Hotel located right in downtown Fort Lauderdale on Las Olas....great spot for evening enjoyment...located right in all the action. You can usually get a pretty good deal on it through Hotwire...its pretty easy to figure...3 star downtown Fort Lauderdale...dog friendly...only one that is dog friendly for downtown.

We stayed at the Riverside in August. Nice hotel. Older than some hotels but is in good shape. Right beside the Cheesecake factory

We always stay at the Marriott Harbor Beach. It is a very beautiful property. Right on the beach, has a beautiful pool and the food is great. You can easily walk to a water taxi stop from there as well. Can’t wait to stay there for two night before and two nights after our cruise in February!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can also look inland, around Plantation.

We're going to be in the La Quinta on SW street in Plantation. I have booked the Hollywood LQ about 6 months ago, but got an email early this week - they had hurricane damage and cannot honor our 13 Jan 2018 reservation. LQ was really helpful helping me get another hotel room. Price was reasonable (right at $200) for the night. That location does not have transportation from airport and to RCI terminal, but that can be arranged through the hotel for $12 pp per route.

If anyone is planning a hotel stay in FLL in the next month or two, a call to verify your reservation might be smart..........

Doug

We're going to be in the La Quinta on SW street in Plantation. I have booked the Hollywood LQ about 6 months ago, but got an email early this week - they had hurricane damage and cannot honor our 13 Jan 2018 reservation. LQ was really helpful helping me get another hotel room. Price was reasonable (right at $200) for the night. That location does not have transportation from airport and to RCI terminal, but that can be arranged through the hotel for $12 pp per route.

If anyone is planning a hotel stay in FLL in the next month or two, a call to verify your reservation might be smart..........

Doug

Ft Lauderdale----hurricane damage? Did I miss something....

Ft Lauderdale last affected by Tropical storm Phillippe, October 29, maximum wind 50 mph

Edited by myfuzzy

I booked a fairly last minute cruise for January on HotS and was surprised about the cost of hotels in Fort Lauderdale ... usually I can find something that is a bit more reasonable. I don't look for port shuttles any more in FLL ... they tend to have long wait lists at hotels and it is much more convenient to just take a taxi or Uber over.

..... Hotel is at I-95 and Sterling Rd. in Dania Beach (or Hollywood); it's not far from the pier. There's a shopping center right behind it and several fast-food places within an easy walk.

They also have free parking for the duration of the cruise for those who, like us, drive down to S. Florida, when you book the room through stay123.com.

The rate was around $150 for three people, so adding in the free parking and shuttle to/from makes it almost a free stay. :)

Sounds like a great place, but you might want to verify they will be open for business when you sail. Our cruise is next month and our Hollywood La Quinta is not going to be taking guests due to hurricane damage. We have another cruise in March 2109 - I'm adding your hotel recommendation to my list to check out for then.:cool:

Ft Lauderdale----hurricane damage? Did I miss something....

Ft Lauderdale last affected by Tropical storm Phillippe, October 29, maximum wind 50 mph

You'd have to call the hotel to find out what damage they sustained. I thought all was well also until I got the email about a week ago telling me my reservation had to be cancelled. I'd also wonder about 43k winds doing much damage, but I'm sure the hotel didn't make it up!:cool:

Doug

Sounds like a great place,

It is indeed....

but you might want to verify they will be open for business when you sail. Our cruise is next month and our Hollywood La Quinta is not going to be taking guests due to hurricane damage. We have another cruise in March 2109 - I'm adding your hotel recommendation to my list to check out for then.:cool:
The LQ should be back and fully operational long before 2109. :D

But seriously, I made a reservation at the Quality Inn Cruiseport South for my upcoming cruise in February and they have not indicated any issues. No-one on my cruise's web-forum (it's a charter) has reported any hotel cancellations yet due to storm damage, and we are ranged all along the coast from Plantation up past Ft. Lauderdale, in everything from large, pricey hotels to small boutique waterfront places.

You'd have to call the hotel to find out what damage they sustained. I thought all was well also until I got the email about a week ago telling me my reservation had to be cancelled. I'd also wonder about 43k winds doing much damage, but I'm sure the hotel didn't make it up!:cool:

Doug

Because I AM an inquiring mind, I would call the hotel directly about making a reservation for the day you were actually cancelled. Just to see what they say.

It is indeed....

The LQ should be back and fully operational long before 2109. :D

But seriously, I made a reservation at the Quality Inn Cruiseport South for my upcoming cruise in February and they have not indicated any issues. No-one on my cruise's web-forum (it's a charter) has reported any hotel cancellations yet due to storm damage, and we are ranged all along the coast from Plantation up past Ft. Lauderdale, in everything from large, pricey hotels to small boutique waterfront places.

You were smart to check. Actually, I'd done the same check for the LQ Hollywood about 3-4 weeks after the hurricane just to check.....but I called their 800 reservation number. That was a mistake! No idea what damage the Hollywood LQ had/has, but yeah, it'll be fine in 2019.....UNLESS another hurricane! OMG!:eek:

Thanks for the info on the Quality Inn Cruiseport south; the one at

2520 Stirling Rd, Hollywood, FL 33020-1122

Right? I added that to my planning document for our March 2019 cruise from FLL for consideration. We like the LQ Inns, and look forward to our staying at their location in Plantation next month for that cruise, but it's always good to have a fellow cruiser's alternate recommendation. I do not tend to be overly brand loyal when price is involved...I am such a CheapSkate....but then my wife is a LuxurySnob <g>, so we balance each other....usually.;)

Because I AM an inquiring mind, I would call the hotel directly about making a reservation for the day you were actually cancelled. Just to see what they say.

Nah. The LQ in Plantation is all booked, and in recognition of the hassle, LQ gave me a $50 discount AND is paying for my transportation from the airport and to the cruise ship the following morning.

I'm usually pretty curious myself, but at this time of the year I'm busying getting ready for Christmas, New Year's, another trip we have planned to the Pacific Northwest in May, etc. Plus I am just glad to have secure reservations for our cruise in 28 days....and then there is my lazy character flaw.:o

But you could always call and report back? :cool:

Doug

Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport South Inn & Suites, they also have a shuttle to the port for extra charge.

Bon Voyage

At one time when I was checking, shuttles to the cruise port were $12 per person for all the hotel locations in that general area that did not offer their own courtesy van.

We just booked Marriott North Ft Lauderdale for $151 plus fees and tax through Hotwire for 3/24, which I think is cheap considering spring break

151 isn't bad, but don't forget it is 13 miles from the cruise port about 20 minutes, not sure if you are flying in, but factoring the cost of the cab or other transportation from the airport to the hotel, then hotel to cruise port....