garden villa for just two people - anyone done it?

BostonGal35

you must have been a bernie sanders voter, telling people to give away their hard earned money to others.

i work hard for everything i have, and i will spend my money on whatever i wish to spend it on, whether its vacation, charity, booze, cigarettes, or an outrageous suite.

Bravo!!! I couldn't have said it better myself!

I should never book the Garden Villas because I think that it's waste of money to pay for three bedrooms when only one is needed. I think that it should be good if it was possible to disconnect the extra bedroom and only book the rest (masterbedroom, livingroom and outdoor space).

I would never book it either, but upsell? For the right price I would.

has anyone ever occupied one of these with just two people, whether by choice or by winning it on an upgrade?

We usually book the Haven, never had an upgrade to a GV yet,but if we ever did, we would jump on it and if we had friends sailing with us we would just let them stay in the other two bedrooms, and yes Host a Sail a way Part in the Villa. I think it would be a great experience and how people choose to spend their money, well its their money and their way to spend it they way they see fit.Life is short ,enjoy,

Marion

• 1 month later...
Its funny, we were offered the GV on the DAWN as an upsell before the bidding process started. There were only 2 of us so we chose to upsell to a DOS. As it was, I loved being in the DOS. If it wasn't just my husband and I we would have jumped on the chance to be in the GV.

Pathubia -- Did your DOS on the Dawn have two bedrooms? I'm trying to figure this out, but I don't see any floor plans.

Thanks!

you must have been a bernie sanders voter, telling people to give away their hard earned money to others.

i work hard for everything i have, and i will spend my money on whatever i wish to spend it on, whether its vacation, charity, booze, cigarettes, or an outrageous suite.

EXCELLENT response!:'):'):'):'):'):')

Yes! Your answer reminds me of a news clip I saw once. Reporter was interviewing people buying lottery tickets and asked a middle aged man what he would spend the money on if he won...his reply? “Cocaine and hookers!” The reporter didn’t say anything for a minute bc she was probably so stunned. But then she managed to squeak out “at least he’s honest”

Life is too short, spend your money how you want, you can’t take it with you!

Pathubia -- Did your DOS on the Dawn have two bedrooms? I'm trying to figure this out, but I don't see any floor plans.

Thanks!

The Dawn/Star DOS have two setups. The outer ones only have one bedroom and detached bathroom. They have a huge living room with a view off to the right on the wing.

The inner ones are basically a SC without a balcony with a master bedroom and bath plus an inside type cabin. The living room is much smaller with a big post in it. The two on each side have a small atrium between them before the main hallway.

We are booked on the Gem 14500 in July 2019 with 4. My hubby and I will have the master and our sons will each have their own room. We have been planning it, and saving, for a few years! Cannot wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, 12500 was 2 bed rooms. the 2nd bedroom was pretty small, the master is huge!!

The Dawn/Star DOS have two setups. The outer ones only have one bedroom and detached bathroom. They have a huge living room with a view off to the right on the wing.

The inner ones are basically a SC without a balcony with a master bedroom and bath plus an inside type cabin. The living room is much smaller with a big post in it. The two on each side have a small atrium between them before the main hallway.

Thanks to both of you. I think we're going to book one of the DOS with two bedrooms, even if the living room area is smaller. It is for three people. We were on the same basic itinerary this year, and didn't really use our balcony (we were in a SD). With only one sea day and five ports, I think we'll be okay without it.

The DOS is less expensive than the 2-bedroom, plus we get more OBC and a few other additional perks, so I think we'll survive a week without a balcony and a smaller living room if this means our friend gets her own space.

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks to both of you. I think we're going to book one of the DOS with two bedrooms, even if the living room area is smaller. It is for three people. We were on the same basic itinerary this year, and didn't really use our balcony (we were in a SD). With only one sea day and five ports, I think we'll be okay without it.

The DOS is less expensive than the 2-bedroom, plus we get more OBC and a few other additional perks, so I think we'll survive a week without a balcony and a smaller living room if this means our friend gets her own space.

Thanks again everyone!

Yeah, the SC and S2 on Dawn Star often run close in price with SC being higher at times.

I'd guess it depends who is going. If you have a couple I'd go with the outer so they can have the master and put the 3rd in the living room. The outer living rooms are huge and you can spend a lot of time in there during sea days looking out the front and side.

There is only the one bathroom but it is huge - separate shower and tub, sinks. etc.

Yes! Your answer reminds me of a news clip I saw once. Reporter was interviewing people buying lottery tickets and asked a middle aged man what he would spend the money on if he won...his reply? “Cocaine and hookers!” The reporter didn’t say anything for a minute bc she was probably so stunned. But then she managed to squeak out “at least he’s honest”

Life is too short, spend your money how you want, you can’t take it with you!

And your response reminds me of one of the most gifted footballers ever, George Best, who said

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered

All kind of cruising is waste of money when people around the world are starving but this is a cruiseforum!

If you prefer to give to charity instead of using your money to cruise it's nice of you,

I'll finish your sentence - 'but don't ask or expect others to do the same with their hard earned money.'

Really anything over and above what we spend on food, water and shelter should instantly be given away because we've got our basic needs met whilst so many millions in the world don't even have that - the whole vacation industry should be shut down immediately because it's a luxury we don't need and whatever people would have spent on their vacations and countless other luxuries will be redistributed to the needy. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by BostonGal35 you must have been a bernie sanders voter, telling people to give away their hard earned money to others.

Absolutely - great response. :D

Now let's see if we can get a solo traveler in the GV if they so wish!

the butler and room steward were more than attentive (more than we normally like), as they just appeared from time to time in the suite through openings in the walls. That part was a bit weird.

We shared 12500 on the Star with another couple (middle bedroom was empty). I don't remember mysterious openings in the walls for the butler and room steward.

we used to middle bedroom to store our luggage! We also hosted the Cruise Critic sailaway party there! I bet I’d never be able to afford that again!:cool:

Did you know there is a luggage closet in the hallway?

We also hosted a Cruise Critic party in the GV. What fun! We had the hotel director, concierge, etc. attending, too. The good old days!

We shared 12500 on the Star with another couple (middle bedroom was empty). I don't remember mysterious openings in the walls for the butler and room steward.

Right, there aren't any mystery doors on Dawn/Star DOS. I think they were referring to GV.

Absolutely .... my philosophy also. It's difficult to state this in public due to getting beat down verbally.

WHAT!?! I had no idea...thanks for the info. I'm going to check it out this week :-) Do customers use it, too?

It is true if you don't put the do not disturb or use the inside lock, personnel seem to come and go. I was a bit surprised when we hadn't left the room all day and my room was serviced. I had left my room a mess; money, jewelry, etc. wasn't put away. There was nothing amiss and he hung up my clothes...I got over my embarrassment quickly. It didn't bother us since we were always decent due to traveling in a "mixed" group.

It is hard to leave a suite like that. I'd rather have them in/out than have to leave the room or constantly remember to change the signage. Our butler didn't converse on the phone. Every time we called, he said I will be right there (and he was!) to take your requests.

In answer to the original question: I would book, without hesitation, for just (2). The price would have to be right!

The Jewel Class GV's have a "hidden" door in the hall that opens directly into the hall right outside the haven pool area.

We have done it 3 times on the Gem and I truly do not thinks it’s anyones business how we spend our money. It’s luxury, it’s amazing privacy and I am sure most would do it if they could. It’s a different level of cruising completely

We have done it 3 times on the Gem and I truly do not thinks it’s anyones business how we spend our money. It’s luxury, it’s amazing privacy and I am sure most would do it if they could. It’s a different level of cruising completely

In a heartbeat.