VOOM Internet Question

mtm65

Interesting, I thought there would have been something added for the beverage portion.

I understand what you are talking about now. No, I didn't expect that there would be gratuities added because I purchased the VOOM and drink package separately. There were no gratuities added to the VOOM but there was of course the 18% added to the drink package. Sorry if I was confusing.

I understand what you are talking about now. No, I didn't expect that there would be gratuities added because I purchased the VOOM and drink package separately. There were no gratuities added to the VOOM but there was of course the 18% added to the drink package. Sorry if I was confusing.

OK, now I understand. I thought you purchased one of the combo packages.

Royal math ... for you number crunchers

just did an OASIS (turkey day week), booked just a few weeks out .... watched the drink package and VOOM and caught a day where the delux was $55 and delux + VOOM for one was + $3/day ...

now as you know this price for the delux is PLUS 18% for tips so as expected I was billed 454.33 for 7 days delux ($55 x 7 x 1.18) ....

for the DX + VOOM I was billed $474.99 ... this is an additional $20.69 ..... a hair under the expected additional $21 ($3 x 7 with no tip) ..... don't ask me why .... in any case no 18% tip on the added VOOM

<I was a math major and DW is a CPA ..... we watch numbers!>

p.s. it may be different from ship to ship but on our recent OASIS we learned we were supposed to find a business size card in our cabin (JS) with our VOOM access code. We didn't and found this cornfusing as have never purchased access on the ships b4. We waited 'til the 'kiosk' opened in the atrium where they told us 'there was a card'. Double checked later but confirmed, no card. They pulled up our account, saw we'd paid and gave us our access code. With the code you go to your browser and go to "logon.com" and you get the ship logon screen where you enter your code and TADA (not tata .... TaDa) you are connected. To change devices you go to "logoff.com" and go to "logon.com" on the new device {iow this is how to share the code}

Missing the code and being first timers we stumbled around a bit trying things like the room number as 'the code' which is a common way it works in hotels ..... a wee bit frustrating but no biggie. We only took the access because it was so inexpensive but ended up using it A LOT ...... cuz the ship DID NOT SHOW THE IRON BOWL (Alabama Auburn annual game) ANYWHERE!!!!! {at time of kickoff they closed the sports bar for BINGO!!!!!) We were not alone in our anxiety and discovered the lack of outlets in public spaces - we could not fit in one cabin or even our JS .... frustrated BAMA fans found each other and sought solace .... lot's of BAMA pride on board. I finally found I could reach power in the otherwise empty BOLERO, so VOOM streaming and a laptop perched on the edge of the stage and a bluetooth speaker ended up being the answer for a couple of dozen die hard BAMA college football fans <and an AUBURN fan or two but we don't count them> ..... including a 20 month old cutie running around in her BAMA dress. Roll Tide ..... {sadly, they lost in a nail biter}

{btw the streaming was not smooth, especially early in the game .... having been involved in maritime satellite system engineering I suspect a BUNCH of folks were doing like us and trying to stream this and other FB games which exceeded the capacity of "the fastest internet at sea" .... as the game progressed folks probably gave up because of 'buffering pauses' and as connections dropped, those who stuck it out got progressively better performance. I spent some time going to other bars and telling the folks to come to BOLERO and consolidate for just this reason ..... I should have taken a picture of 20+ folks watching the game on one laptop!}

Edited by Capt_BJ

I am on the Antham right now. They have increase the onboard price for Surf to 15.99/day and Surf and Stream to 19.99/day if you were to purchase the package for the entire cruise for 1 device. Though like others have reported you can still stream videos with Surf only package.

I am on the Antham right now. They have increase the onboard price for Surf to 15.99/day and Surf and Stream to 19.99/day if you were to purchase the package for the entire cruise for 1 device. Though like others have reported you can still stream videos with Surf only package.

Wow. We paid $14.35 per day for 1 device on Thanksgiving cruise. Surf and stream.

^ early holiday pricing?

Or possible permanent price increase as they have print out vinyk banners and flyers with the increased price.

The 14.39 per day pre cruise option was also available. However, because I only need to check email. Figured I may be able to only go with Surf for 12.99 , instead it back fired as they increase Surf only to $15.99.

Just checked my sailing on Liberty in May. Surf+Stream "price reflects discount" is $15.99/day due to the HUGE SALE!!

I think I paid $14.99 on Navigator last month during the HUGE SALE!! I know that was $3 off "list" price for Navigator.

Just checked my sailing on Liberty in May. Surf+Stream "price reflects discount" is $15.99/day due to the HUGE SALE!!

I think I paid $14.99 on Navigator last month during the HUGE SALE!! I know that was $3 off "list" price for Navigator.

I supposed this confirm they have probably increase the onboard price for Surf and Stream fleet wide to $19.99.

I recall a quote from either Fain or the head of IT at the time saying that the new O3B satelite would help lower internet prices as they would now have lots of extra bandwidth do they wouldn't gave to price it high to deter users....looks time that was short lived.:rolleyes:

The deluxe drink package for my upcoming cruise on Allure went up $3.00 with the start of the huge sale compared to where it was priced during the last huge sale.