New to Norwegian and Miami port questions

andiloveu

Hi Everyone! My DH and I are going on the Norwegian Sky this coming January 29th for a 4 night cruise. This is for our 25th wedding anniversary. We usually cruise with RC but were able to book this cruise with points from our bank. So why not! Can anyone give us some insight about the ship and things to do on the ship and if we should pay for a specialty dinner one night? Is it worth it? We have never cruised from Miami port. Or if we have I don't remember. We are coming a day early and leaving a day after the cruise. I have hotels for each day but I'm unsure about transportation. Is there a good shuttle service? Is a taxi a good alternative? How much would it cost for two people to go from Doral area hotel to port and then port to miami beach hotel after cruise? I'm sorry for all the questions but was wondering about one more thing, how is Grand Bahama Island? Last time I was there was in May and it was a little sketchy. Now that there has been two more hurricanes how is it there? Should I get a day pass for the Lucayan? Last time the taxi dropped us off at a market and we had to walk to the resort. The shop keepers were very pushy and we felt a little uneasy. I hope this wasn't too many questions. Looking forward to hearing from you all!!

I can't answer all your questions, but I've been on the Sky 3 times and love it for the quick cruises. It's all open bar, which is a nice touch. Just walk up to any bar and order.... there are also pool side waiters coming around to bring drinks (maybe bring small cash to tip for that). I am a big believer in the specialty restaurants and like to have some meals there- always a good experience- but the main dining rooms are nice too- up to you how to spend your money. There's a great outdoor dining area aft (Great Outdoors) that has a buffet set up for breakfast and lunch (this is complimentary, not specialty)- it's a smaller version of the main buffet but it's really nice outdoor seating. We had breakfast there every day.

Thank you rjm11! That was very helpful. I'm looking forward to trying a new cruise line and ship. I know it's older but that doesn't matter to me as long as we have fun. I will look into the specialty dining options. I was thinking Le Bistro for a nice anniversary dinner. We are excited to get away and have some fun!

The specialty dining choices are a big step up from the main dining room. I would book at least one night specialty dining if not more if you can afford it.

I also recommend to new cruisers to not get to the port too early on the day you embark. It is an absolute madhouse in the terminal and lots of waiting and crowds and waiting for your huge group to be called. Wait until noon or 1pm to embark. You will breeze right thru the whole process with no waiting. You'll have plenty of time to grab lunch before they announce the rooms are ready.

Also, one thing on NCL that is nicer than Royal is that you can eat in the main dining room for lunch on the day you embark. You don't have to be up with the crowds of people trying to eat in the buffet! The crew will want to direct you to the buffet, because I think they are actually encouraged to do that but if you keep asking to be directed to the dining room for lunch, they will help you get there. Lunch in the dining room is a great way to start off your cruise!

As far as transportation, if you are cell phone savy and can download the Uber app, it could save you a lot of money! Last year we took Uber from the Ft. Lauderdale airport to the cruise port for something like $43. A taxi would have cost us $90 plus tip!! I'mthinking Uber can save you about half the cost.

I worked in downtown Miami for 13 years and always, always used the FREE Metromover (you'll see the elevated track when you enter and leave Port of Miami), to get around town. Metro rail is right there as well but it costs a couple of bucks and you have to know where you are going - for instance if you want to go to Dadeland Mall, get on any southbound train and get off at Dadeland Station. Taxis in Miami are absolutely gross and smelly and disgusting so if you need to get somewhere, use what others have suggested like Uber. We left Miami 2 years ago because of the traffic so be warned.

Just off the ship today. Ample places to eat and food quite good. We would not pay for a la carte specialty dining + 20% gratuity. On a 4 day trip there is a lot of variety already. If it were 10+ days we might consider specialty once to "break it up". When we looked in Cagneys and Il Adagio they were basically empty so the new pricing scheme seems to be guest-repellent.

We enjoyed going to Longboards sports bar pre-dinner for appetizers. Yes, the MDR is open for lunch on boarding day. It is open for breakfast each day, even departure day. If your 4 day cruise includes Great Stirrup Cay look for the Abaco Taco Bar; it is near the locals marketplace.

Great Outdoor cafe is open for dinner and late night snacks until 1 or 2 am. Check the daily as the buffet has different theme nights each night. We ate in dining room 3 nights and buffet 1 night (took our dinner out to Great Outdoor cafe because they had live dinner music). We had 3 breakfasts in dining room and once at Great Outdoor Cafe.

We would skip dessert in dining room and walk around to get coffee then go to the buffet where they have a made to order Crepe station with ice cream during dinner hours.

Other tips; get to shows 15-20 minutes early so you can find a decent seat on deck 6. The deck 7 theater seating is pretty bad, high railings obstruct much of the view.

We made a "happy hour" for ourselves each night in a different location because of open bar. Make certain you find Outriggers Lounge with its observation deck. We also did happy hour at Plantation Club room, Longboards sports bar, and Captain Cooks on Deck 6 (think Schooner Bar on Royal)

The specialty dining choices are a big step up from the main dining room. I would book at least one night specialty dining if not more if you can afford it.

I also recommend to new cruisers to not get to the port too early on the day you embark. It is an absolute madhouse in the terminal and lots of waiting and crowds and waiting for your huge group to be called. Wait until noon or 1pm to embark. You will breeze right thru the whole process with no waiting. You'll have plenty of time to grab lunch before they announce the rooms are ready.

Also, one thing on NCL that is nicer than Royal is that you can eat in the main dining room for lunch on the day you embark. You don't have to be up with the crowds of people trying to eat in the buffet! The crew will want to direct you to the buffet, because I think they are actually encouraged to do that but if you keep asking to be directed to the dining room for lunch, they will help you get there. Lunch in the dining room is a great way to start off your cruise!

As far as transportation, if you are cell phone savy and can download the Uber app, it could save you a lot of money! Last year we took Uber from the Ft. Lauderdale airport to the cruise port for something like $43. A taxi would have cost us $90 plus tip!! I'mthinking Uber can save you about half the cost.

Thank you so much for the information! I will be putting the Uber app on my phone now. I'm looking forward to trying the diningroom for lunch. So looking forward to this cruise!

I worked in downtown Miami for 13 years and always, always used the FREE Metromover (you'll see the elevated track when you enter and leave Port of Miami), to get around town. Metro rail is right there as well but it costs a couple of bucks and you have to know where you are going - for instance if you want to go to Dadeland Mall, get on any southbound train and get off at Dadeland Station. Taxis in Miami are absolutely gross and smelly and disgusting so if you need to get somewhere, use what others have suggested like Uber. We left Miami 2 years ago because of the traffic so be warned.

Thank you for the tip on the Metromover. I never knew Miami had a rail service. And the thought of using a stinky taxi is not on my top ten things to do on vacation. LOL;p

Just off the ship today. Ample places to eat and food quite good. We would not pay for a la carte specialty dining + 20% gratuity. On a 4 day trip there is a lot of variety already. If it were 10+ days we might consider specialty once to "break it up". When we looked in Cagneys and Il Adagio they were basically empty so the new pricing scheme seems to be guest-repellent.

We enjoyed going to Longboards sports bar pre-dinner for appetizers. Yes, the MDR is open for lunch on boarding day. It is open for breakfast each day, even departure day. If your 4 day cruise includes Great Stirrup Cay look for the Abaco Taco Bar; it is near the locals marketplace.

Great Outdoor cafe is open for dinner and late night snacks until 1 or 2 am. Check the daily as the buffet has different theme nights each night. We ate in dining room 3 nights and buffet 1 night (took our dinner out to Great Outdoor cafe because they had live dinner music). We had 3 breakfasts in dining room and once at Great Outdoor Cafe.

We would skip dessert in dining room and walk around to get coffee then go to the buffet where they have a made to order Crepe station with ice cream during dinner hours.

Other tips; get to shows 15-20 minutes early so you can find a decent seat on deck 6. The deck 7 theater seating is pretty bad, high railings obstruct much of the view.

We made a "happy hour" for ourselves each night in a different location because of open bar. Make certain you find Outriggers Lounge with its observation deck. We also did happy hour at Plantation Club room, Longboards sports bar, and Captain Cooks on Deck 6 (think Schooner Bar on Royal)

I am so excited to try all of your tips and try the different eating and drinking venues! I'm actually writing everyones tips down and taking them with me. I never do that and always forget what I've learned on CC. Thank you so much for giving me the inside tips on a ship I've never been on. I can't wait!!:D