I'm so over Half Moon Cay!

Slarty

The first couple of times it was fun. Great beach. Service good. Water cold (in winter months). New island-based tenders helped.

I don't even go onshore now. Just stay on board and read my kindle on the balcony.

You?

I don't knocking Half Moon or any other island.

A day on board while at anchor can be a great day too. The deck is quiet. Plenty of deck chairs. Best of all.... a quiet lunch in Pinnacle Grill.... like your own private yacht!

I know that now! Wonderful. Something for everybody! But note, you can never assume that the Pinnacle Grill is open for lunch. Have to book on-board.

I feel so sorry for these "collector" cruisers that have TWO days now for that. First ten times @ #HALFMOONCAY is fun, but now it's a HA dirge.

We rarely go ashore at HMC anymore. Seems like we are always there when there are 2 ships and it is just way too crowded.

We liked HMC before they started all those cabanas, Pirate ship, and now the double decker cabanas.

So we basically stay on the ship.

Me too! You post like you know much more than me. Are there any HA cruises out of FLL that don't waste a day in HMC?

We just got off the Oosterdam yesterday, and had a conversation in the Lido with a couple who feel the same way you are. The wife called it the worst part in the Caribbean.

It's my favorite, although my love for it has declined over the years to a mere "like" now. What I used to like the most was the pristine beach quality, the isolated feeling, the charm of it all. The original cabanas were good, IMHO, but the decline stated with that stupid pirate ship and now the two story cabanas. To me the whole thing screams "revenue generating opportunity' for all the extras, as I can see it evolving into more of a manufactured port like Grand Turk or Costa Maya (I hope I'm remembering that name correctly). IMHO those ports are ok, they are what they are, but HMC WAS special, I'm sad to see what it's becoming.

I know that now! Wonderful. Something for everybody! But note, you can never assume that the Pinnacle Grill is open for lunch. Have to book on-board.

Always best to check of course, but the day that is NOT open is whenever Le Circle planned for that event in the evening. Nuisance! :eek:

We just got off the Oosterdam yesterday, and had a conversation in the Lido with a couple who feel the same way you are. The wife called it the worst part in the Caribbean.

It's my favorite, although my love for it has declined over the years to a mere "like" now. What I used to like the most was the pristine beach quality, the isolated feeling, the charm of it all. The original cabanas were good, IMHO, but the decline stated with that stupid pirate ship and now the two story cabanas. To me the whole thing screams "revenue generating opportunity' for all the extras, as I can see it evolving into more of a manufactured port like Grand Turk or Costa Maya (I hope I'm remembering that name correctly). IMHO those ports are ok, they are what they are, but HMC WAS special, I'm sad to see what it's becoming.

Oh hun! I was there three times before all this too. I suppose #Carnival needs to capitalize on this, but obviously our HA #CEO doesn't understand his market. Pirate Ships and 2-level "beach condos". If this continues, I'm, going elsewhere. Too bad. HA used to have great service.

Many people cruise just to go to beaches. We have the Atlantic just down the street and we only go down when company comes. We like to take a pic of the ship from Half Moon's beach and then get back on. I never did like the BBQ. It is very peaceful on board when everyone else leaves the ship We don't mind going to Half Moon; just figure it is a relaxing day.

We are not big beach people, but always look forward to HMC. We like the fact that no one comes to try to sell you anything, you can go for a walk and feel safe both on the beach and on the island, chairs are free, water is crystal clear, and beach sand so white and fine. It is just a relaxing day!

edit

Just a couple of repositioning cruises and there are only a couple each year.

Thankyou. Done the trans-atlantic. NO HMC. Thank god!

Edit: But still 90%+ of their cruises out of #FLL are Half-moon Cay.

Edited by Slarty
Reasonable additional comment

We still like HMC and go ashore every visit. What has happened that has changed our feeling from "love" to "like" is the reduced stay. We haven't been back since our Maasdam cruise a few years ago but after renting a cabana we were really unhappy to have less than four hours on the island. As I recall we had to head back to the tenders shortly after 2 PM for a 3 PM departure. Our departure wasn't weather driven, in fact it probably was one of better visits from that standpoint, but was one of several short stays and early port departures on that cruise.

We happen to really like Half Moon Cay - in fact, we look forward to cruises that stop there. Being from the 'frozen tundra', we enjoy the feel of powdered sugar-like sand crunching beneath our feet, rather than snow.

Depending on the number of people we sail with, we have rented clamshells, cabanas, and the 2 story villas, were happy with our choices. The unusual thing is DH is not a water lover, nor does he ever go swimming, yet when we are at HMC, he's like a seal in the water. I have trouble getting him out to take the last tender.

Different strokes for different folks.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We, too, still really enjoy HMC although it has changed substantially since we first began visiting there. We always rent a clamshell and bring our books. It is very relaxing to have a swim to cool off and then to get onto the lounge chairs and read. We enjoy walking on the beach as well. We have never been there with another ship as I can remember. I may not feel the same if the beach was teeming with an additional boat of cruisers.

Always best to check of course, but the day that is NOT open is whenever Le Circle planned for that event in the evening. Nuisance! :eek:

I've never known the pinnacle to be open the day of hmc. It's been closed for every cruise I've been on. I rarely eat at hmc so I'm always looking for an alternate place to eat. The pinnacle has not been a choice available.

While I still enjoy hmc I wish they would get rid of grand Cayman.

I've never known the pinnacle to be open the day of hmc. It's been closed for every cruise I've been on. I rarely eat at hmc so I'm always looking for an alternate place to eat. The pinnacle has not been a choice available.

Our experience as well. the Pinnacle Staff take care of the Oasis (Grand Cabana) at HMC when it is booked and assist in other places when it is not.

Interesting. I like Georgetown best of the Western Carib ports - usually lunch at "The Lighthouse" then on to QE2 park for blue iguanas and the botanical gardens.

the only good thing about HMC day is how peaceful and quiet it is for those of us who remain on board!

à chacun son goût, as the Quebecois say....

:)

Interesting. I like Georgetown best of the Western Carib ports - usually lunch at "The Lighthouse" then on to QE2 park for blue iguanas and the botanical gardens.

the only good thing about HMC day is how peaceful and quiet it is for those of us who remain on board!

à chacun son goût, as the Quebecois say....

:)

It's always so incredibly busy there. I don't enjoy places with wall to wall people. Tendering there has been difficult on my cruises.

I liked HMC for the beach and the beautiful water. I dislike the BBQ. The absolute best time on HMC was when a group of us booked The Oasis, it was well worth it and a fabulous day. The staff from the PG does the cooking and serving there. If I were to go again I would stay on the ship.

IMO, after several stops there HMC does lose its allure. As we are no longer beach people, and have done most of the other tours, staying on the ship is good for us.

I was at HMC for the first time in October and I LOVED it. But again, it was my first time. To you point, I think everything loses its allure when repeated over and over again, and that goes for the cruise line too. ;)