Rum Runners?

Babyberger

Hello everyone. We have our rum runners from when we cruised RCCL, but now we are going on DCL for the first time. Has anyone successfully brought rum runners on DCL? We used to pack them in our checked bags, stuffed into DH's shoes, is this still the best way?

Since the only "rum runners" I know were their namesakes, ie. Florida/Cuba bootleg smugglers during Prohibition, can anyone fill the less experienced cruisers in on this term?

I take it it's a way of sneaking liquor on board, or...?

You know about the rules regarding bringing alcohol on board on DCL, right? NO, it is not a good idea to violate the rules and hope to get away with it. Sorry, but I had a suitcase full of clothing saturated by someone's alcohol that obviously burst in a suitcase. At least it was on the way home and most of my clothing was salvageable (also, most was packed in plastic inside the suitcase.) If you place any beverage in your checked luggage and it damages another guest's belongings during the embarkation process, DCL will hold you responsible--you will be charged for cleaning or replacing damaged items. And they will notice because your bag will also be soaked.

Stick to placing the alcohol you are allowed to bring in your carry on bags as instructed.

Yes, Rum Runners are a device you can purchase for the purpose of smuggling alcohol on board.

• 4 weeks later...

If you know how to successfully take Rum Runners on a cruise, then taking them on a Disney cruise would be no different than RCCL or any other line. Disney doesn't use any advanced security screening compared to other lines. Not that rum runners would be detectable anyway if they did. I'm not really sure how rum runners are easily detected other than opening up bags, because they hide so easily on x-rays.

If you know how to successfully take Rum Runners on a cruise, then taking them on a Disney cruise would be no different than RCCL or any other line. Disney doesn't use any advanced security screening compared to other lines. Not that rum runners would be detectable anyway if they did. I'm not really sure how rum runners are easily detected other than opening up bags, because they hide so easily on x-rays.

It's not the "rum runner" itself that's detected by transport screening. Rather, it's the liquid itself. And the most advanced systems can differentiate alcohol from other liquids.

In any case, sneaking booze onboard a ship is just about as juvenile/trashy as someone can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This thread is making me uncomfortable. This is a family cruise, for heaven's sake. Sorry for flaming the OP - I know you were just asking a question. But I'm glad to see that this behaviour is being discouraged. There will be PLENTY of alcohol on board and I'd rather everyone have to pay the onboard cost for it just so there's a built-in regulator as to how much they consume.

And for the sake of full disclosure - the Hubs has sneaked alcohol on board ships before on another line. It was a small bit that we just drank in our stateroom and we bought our fair share of wine and spirits as well. He hasn't brought it up for our Disney cruise - I don't expect him to - but if he did, he would a big giant NUH-UH from me...

Correct, clear liquor is most easily brought on board by rum runners, rather than "dark" liquids. Therefore, Vodka is the easiest alcohol to sneak on board.

I'm not sure why this thread makes people uncomfortable. People do much worse things than sneaking on alcohol on a cruise. Many people are inconsiderate to the hard-working staff, plain mean to them, don't leave then a tip, rude to fellow passengers, save seats everywhere and the list goes on and on.

Think about the big picture folks.

Bring your rum runners, they will be fine -don't bring dark liquors.

I'm not sure why this thread makes people uncomfortable. People do much worse things than sneaking on alcohol on a cruise. Many people are inconsiderate to the hard-working staff, plain mean to them, don't leave then a tip, rude to fellow passengers, save seats everywhere and the list goes on and on.

Think about the big picture folks.

I am: And by all means, folks, please do not use the third-grader's excuse of "Sure it's bad, but not as bad as the OTHER bad thing!"

This will have absolutely zero effect in making your case against cruise security.

Breaking the rules nicely is still breaking the rules.

I am: And by all means, folks, please do not use the third-grader's excuse of "Sure it's bad, but not as bad as the OTHER bad thing!"

This will have absolutely zero effect in making your case against cruise security.

Breaking the rules nicely is still breaking the rules.

I agree.

If you don't like the policy (of any business) just don't patronize the business. Don't try to "get around" it.

LOL. Well, everyone has their opinions. Less than 10% of actual cruisers actually visit cruisecritic for opinions and tips. The rest of them will think what they think, and bring their rum runners or whatever attitudes they have aboard the ship.

You guys having a high horse about following alcohol rules does little.

LOL. Well, everyone has their opinions. Less than 10% of actual cruisers actually visit cruisecritic for opinions and tips. The rest of them will think what they think, and bring their rum runners or whatever attitudes they have aboard the ship.

You guys having a high horse about following alcohol rules does little.

Security people requiring that guests follow maritime law in abiding to the rules in their signed cruise contract do a lot MORE.

Here are some quick rationalizations to avoid, as they will have absolutely NO effect whatsoever against either having your liquor seized or seeing you thrown off the ship:

1) "Sure it's bad, but what about people who wear their bathrobes to Cabana's?"

2) "Well, sure it's a rule, but it must be okay, since everybody breaks it...Chill out!"

3) "What about the guy in 7642, I saw him bring a whole bottle in!"

4) "Eh, they DESERVE to have guests pull a few sneaky ones over them, for the drink prices they charge!"

Be glad ship captains decided to retire 40-lashings, keelhauling, or hangings from the yardarm. :evilsmile:

Security people requiring that guests follow maritime law in abiding to the rules in their signed cruise contract do a lot MORE.

Here are some quick rationalizations to avoid, as they will have absolutely NO effect whatsoever against either having your liquor seized or seeing you thrown off the ship:

1) "Sure it's bad, but what about people who wear their bathrobes to Cabana's?"

2) "Well, sure it's a rule, but it must be okay, since everybody breaks it...Chill out!"

3) "What about the guy in 7642, I saw him bring a whole bottle in!"

4) "Eh, they DESERVE to have guests pull a few sneaky ones over them, for the drink prices they charge!"

Be glad ship captains decided to retire 40-lashings, keelhauling, or hangings from the yardarm. :evilsmile:

Don't forget the ever popular "So you never go one mile per hour over the speed limit?" rationalization. ;p

I'm an optimistic person by nature, but the ever-growing selfishness I see in society really makes me worry about the future sometimes.

And this thread demonstrates that there are those on DCL who basically attempt to follow the rules and those who think that the rules don't apply to them or their special snowflakes. Unfortunately, those who believe that the rules are for other people (and have choice words for those people) make the experience less enjoyable for everyone...whether it is due to alcohol seepage affecting other people's luggage, kids stealing from host carts or serving stations, waltzing thru adult only areas, dining room behavior that interferes with other people's enjoyment of the evening, blatant violation of quiet hours, or whatever.

We will never change the crowd who believes that they paid a lot of money for this vacation and they will do whatever they wish--rules, basic etiquette, and other people don't matter. Sad state of the world.

Edited by moki'smommy

Hello everyone. We have our rum runners from when we cruised RCCL, but now we are going on DCL for the first time. Has anyone successfully brought rum runners on DCL? We used to pack them in our checked bags, stuffed into DH's shoes, is this still the best way?

HI I'm confused.. I'm booked on my first Disney cruise in 3 weeks. Do they not sell alcohol aboard the ship? This seems like alot of trouble to sneak liquor aboard the ship. Unless I am wrong and there is no alcohol served aboard ship why start off a vacation with this stress. Thanks MJ

HI I'm confused.. I'm booked on my first Disney cruise in 3 weeks. Do they not sell alcohol aboard the ship? This seems like alot of trouble to sneak liquor aboard the ship. Unless I am wrong and there is no alcohol served aboard ship why start off a vacation with this stress. Thanks MJ

Yes, they sell alcohol onboard. You are allowed to take onboard 2 bottles of wine/champagne (max size 750ml each) OR 6 beers (max siz 12oz each) for each guest 21 and older. You may bring this allotment onboard on embarkation and from each port of call. To be consumed in your room.

You cannot bring hard liquor onboard to be consumed in your room.

Yes, they sell alcohol onboard. You are allowed to take onboard 2 bottles of wine/champagne (max size 750ml each) OR 6 beers (max siz 12oz each) for each guest 21 and older. You may bring this allotment onboard on embarkation and from each port of call. To be consumed in your room.

You cannot bring hard liquor onboard to be consumed in your room.

Exactly this.

As for why bother... Because some people just like to break the rules and would rather figure out ways around them than pay for things. There are always going to be some people who think the rules don't apply to them it seems.

The Disney drink process are not outrageous like some of the other cruises lines.

Unfortunately, if you are perticular with what you drink, DCL will disappoint you. There "top shelf" is only neighborhood bars top shelf.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Here's what it comes down to. Yes, they are capable of detecting liquids in luggage. One runner will probably get through, more will attract notice. This can be determined by the fact that people are called to the naughty room every cruise on every line.

If you want to do it, fine. If you get caught, be prepared to accept the consequences from loss of contraband, to disembarkation (and yes, I have seen people kicked off for a large enough quantity or if there are underaged kids in the cabin as a safety risk).

• 2 weeks later...

Once, on a Celebrity Cruise, there was a man at the table next to our's in the mdr. Each night he ordered a soda, drank a few sips, put it in his lap and added his liquor to it. To each their own, but it just looked so "10th grade"...like a little kid trying to hide something. I would never go to those lengths just for a drink, but as I said...to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 6 months later...

Just took 4 rum runners filled with vodka distributed among 4 suitcases on the Disney Fantasy on Nov 11. No issues and no problems. Lasted a good while for me without buying drinks!

Clear liquid like vodka is much easier than taking some dark rum. Have used rum runners on every other cruise line, so Disney is no different.

Enjoy!