Can't decide - Mexican Riviera on Bliss or Star?

Sotermarler

Sorry for another one of these questions. I booked the Bliss for Oct 2018 for an 8 day Mexican Riviera cruise but, I have also been eyeing the Star Mexican Riviera 7 day in December instead of the Bliss.

I will give you my pros and cons and let me know what you think.

Bliss-

Pros- sparkling and new, huge lots to do, 8 glorious days (we like the big ships). Have ubp and 3/4 free. I heard from sources the weather in October probably be better than December. This would be over my sons fall break so no school missed.

Cons- was expensive. Over $3300 for OV for 3. I chose this itinerary to hopefully save $$ by not flying. Also I was wondering if the Mexican Riviera has ported these large ships before? Is it more risk of skipping ports due to having to tender such a large ship? October is AZ fall break so there may be a lot of kids in Splash.

Star-

Pros- much cheaper cost about $2600 for a balcony for 3 and had take 5 promo. Refurbished in 2015.

Cons- 7 days vs 8, week before Christmas so would have to get Christmas stuff done early. Weather might be colder (I'm in AZ so like it hot). Not excited about the ship in general. Son would miss 3 days of school, lots of kids?

That's about all I can think of. Anyone else have any thoughts on this that I might be missing. Of course I could always just put the $100 on the star too and figure it out closer to the date but I like to make payments all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you like big ships, you wont be happy on the Star.

We like smaller (mid-sized) ships and love her. But if you want the mega wow factor, entertainment until you explode, never see the same person twice experience, the Star is not for you.

If you like big ships, you wont be happy on the Star.

We like smaller (mid-sized) ships and love her. But if you want the mega wow factor, entertainment until you explode, never see the same person twice experience, the Star is not for you.

That’s what I as thinking too. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

-snip-

......Also I was wondering if the Mexican Riviera has ported these large ships before? Is it more risk of skipping ports due to having to tender such a large ship? October is AZ fall break so there may be a lot of kids in Splash.

-snip-

The ONLY tender port on either ships itinerary is Cabo.

Ensenada - Mazatlan - Puerto Vallarta are all able to handle large Bliss class ships.

• 2 weeks later...
The ONLY tender port on either ships itinerary is Cabo.

Ensenada - Mazatlan - Puerto Vallarta are all able to handle large Bliss class ships.

Great. I was just. Bit worried after being on the BA and missing GSC. I know it can happen anytime' date=' but seems to happen more with tender ports. So if only one tender, that’s not too bad. Thanks!

Obviously I haven't been on the Bliss yet but the Star was our first NCL ship and we love her. That said, with a child the Bliss will have more to do, the Star doesn't have the slides, mini golf, go karts, and all that fun stuff.

we love the Star!

but id probably do Bliss to try it out as Mexican Riviera is a good itinerary for that ship (unlike Alaska!). although you may have a tender port which could be crazy with that many people.

So you're saying Alaska isn't a good itinerary for the Bliss? Why is that? NCL is deliberately sending the Bliss to sail Alaska and is touting things like the forward observation room as a feature for viewing Alaska glaciers.

For me, this is a 'no-brainer'.

We have sailed on the Star before and will sail her again next week (so you know we loved it) but, the chance to sail on a brand new ship out of the West Coast is fairly rare so I would jump on it, even for the extra cash. I'm guessing the added features, newness, and venues will be well worth it! For the reasons I've mentioned , we are booked on the Bliss next year.

One of the things I love about cruising is the fact that they have various options for various budgets. For example, if all of us had 20K to spend on cruises:

some would sail 2 times in the Haven

some would sail 5 times in the Mini-Suites

some would sail 10 times in the OV

It's your call, but I'm more of a middle of the road guy though I do love the special treatment you get with the fancier cabins. I also much prefer the new ships, just because, though I'll settle for any ship, any where.

So you're saying Alaska isn't a good itinerary for the Bliss? Why is that? NCL is deliberately sending the Bliss to sail Alaska and is touting things like the forward observation room as a feature for viewing Alaska glaciers.

my personal thought is that for Alaska id prefer a ship that can go to Glacier Bay. The first time we did Alaska we did Glacier Bay and it was amazing. Second time we did the other itinerary and it was just ok. i also feel like its too amusement park like for the serenity that is supposed to be an alaskan cruise. i have no issue with big ships, we've sailed them from what you can see, but i just think a smaller ship is preferable for alaska. Some argue that even NCL's smallest ship is too big for alaska and that it is best seen by an even smaller ship.

I would definitely pick the Bliss, UNLESS, you can afford the Garden Villa, because the Star has an AMAZING (the best along with the Dawn) Garden Villa. Now, that is probably out of the question, but something to think about. :D

ALTHOUGH - one HUGE advantage though, of the December itinerary, it will be WHALE season then! You have a pretty good chance of seeing whales in Cabo and PV if you go in December. In October, it is way too early.

So hummm, now I am questioning my first thought to take the Bliss. If you have not seen whales in the wild, I would definitely pick the Star in December. It is an experience like no other.

Comparisons - Summary:

Alaska is more scenic and port intensive than the Mexican Riviera.

Alaska - 4 ports and a Glacier - 2 sea days - closed loop Seattle-Seattle

or Northbound Vancouver-Seward - reverse Southbound Seward-Vancouver

Large or small ship the interest is on scenic activity and not the ship.

MR - 3 ports - 4 sea days

San Pedro (Long Beach/Los Angeles) to Cabo Puerto Vallarta Mazatlan (Ensenada?)

2 days at sea going and 2 returning scenic interests would be on the ship.

xxx

I have been to 5 of the glacier fields and in my not so humble opinion the Tracy Arm Sawyer

Glacier is the best highlight - sailing up a narrow fjord like gorge to take a peak at a glacier.

Just like being in Norway only being in your own USA backyard.

I would definitely pick the Bliss, UNLESS, you can afford the Garden Villa, because the Star has an AMAZING (the best along with the Dawn) Garden Villa. Now, that is probably out of the question, but something to think about. :D

ALTHOUGH - one HUGE advantage though, of the December itinerary, it will be WHALE season then! You have a pretty good chance of seeing whales in Cabo and PV if you go in December. In October, it is way too early.

So hummm, now I am questioning my first thought to take the Bliss. If you have not seen whales in the wild, I would definitely pick the Star in December. It is an experience like no other.

Ha ha Yeah, Garden Villa is probably out of the question.

Thanks for the insight. I’m good on whales, I lived In Hawaii for a bit in my 20’s, so I’m good.

I think we will stick with the Bliss. I picked a forward facing room on 10, so it might be fun to see where we are going.

when we did tracy arm this past september we couldnt get close to the glacier. when we did glacier bay we were right next to the glaciers. i know a lot depends on weather and temps, but i found the tracy arm voyage (at least the one i was on to be very unimpressive. if we ever go back a 3rd time, we will do a glacier bay itinerary again without a doubt.

my personal thought is that for Alaska id prefer a ship that can go to Glacier Bay. The first time we did Alaska we did Glacier Bay and it was amazing. Second time we did the other itinerary and it was just ok. i also feel like its too amusement park like for the serenity that is supposed to be an alaskan cruise. i have no issue with big ships, we've sailed them from what you can see, but i just think a smaller ship is preferable for alaska. Some argue that even NCL's smallest ship is too big for alaska and that it is best seen by an even smaller ship.

Ahh, ok. I generally agree, although when the glaciers calve, it's easier on my stomach when I'm on a bigger ship that can brush off the waves generated vs a little ship that would rock quite a bit.

I can see your point about the amusement park atmosphere, but I'm thinking the forward observation room will give you that serenity if you want.

I haven't been to Tracy Arm, but my memory of Glacier Bay is like the person's description of Tracy Arm, but with a lot more glaciers to look at along the way. Unless they've all melted in the past 10 years. A lot does seem to have melted from looking at Google Images. No global warming my patookus. We hadn't planned on doing Alaska for several more years, but pushed it up because the glaciers are melting way faster than we expected and I want my kids to see something bigger than an ice cube.